Cyberpunk 2077 - No Multiplayer At Launch

Its the internet... fake and out of control outrage is the flavor of the year :)

I'm with Saki on this one. I'm not saying it IS a marketing ploy, but IF it is it's pretty brilliant.

Don't quite understand the overly defensive comments either, he didn't say they don't make great games, he just implied they either have a really good or an insanely good marketing department. Oh, how dare he???

They announced MP all the way back in 2013, when they were still a small company and barely anyone knew about them.
Financially/"Hype wise", postponing MP and focusing more on Single Player at launch is actually a bad thing.. gaming forums really are detached from reality when it comes to discussing things like this. ( How many threads we have here on GTA online, PUBS, Ghost Recon, Division, etc)
Multiplayer games sell much better and are more popular, overall ( especially with younger gamers), than pure SP, despite very vocal minority always complaining about it.

Multiplayer games sell much better and are more popular, overall ( especially with younger gamers), than pure SP, despite very vocal minority always complaining about it.
Maybe but recent trends show that the industry is always changing. Just look back a few years ago when F2P and MOBA's were the favored games to release.

Nowadays it's games as services and card games.:(
Its the internet… fake and out of control outrage is the flavor of the year.
Bah you beat me to the answer once again.

They announced MP all the way back in 2013, when they were still a small company and barely anyone knew about them.
Financially/"Hype wise", postponing MP and focusing more on Single Player at launch is actually a bad thing.. gaming forums really are detached from reality when it comes to discussing things like this. ( How many threads we have here on GTA online, PUBS, Ghost Recon, Division, etc)

Oh I know, the fact they did talk about MP is the reason I've been keeping my own hype in check. And I'm not saying Sakichop is right on when implying it's all a marketing move (I doubt that's the case). I just don't understand what he wrote that got people so upset, like he was actually bashing CDPR.

I just don't understand what he wrote that got people so upset, like he was actually bashing CDPR.
errr... you mean that when he wrote "I've never seen a company get so much praise for doing nothing" it's really just a fair comment?

errr… you mean that when he wrote "I've never seen a company get so much praise for doing nothing" it's really just a fair comment?

I interpreted that as a funny comment with tongue-in-cheek humour, a compliment to the marketing department rather than bashing their company. If you interpret it differently, as in "CDPR has done nothing praise worthy" then I can actually understand why people got upset. I just didn't read it like that so thanks for pointing it out.

But honestly, no one in their right mind can say CDPR has done nothing praise worthy, even if someone doesn't personally like their products I've never seen anyone claiming they're not a top notch game developer. I guess that's why the thought of interpreting Sakis comment differently never crossed my mind, because that would make the statement ludicrous.

For the life of me I can't figure out the hostility towards adding a fun feature to a video game. This started happening about 2003-2004.

I hope if they are planning multiplayer that they designed the game that way from the start. Its typically next to impossible to add it to something that didn't have it in the first place, due to the tendency to hack your way through a problem in SP. In MP you have to stay systematic or the whole thing breaks - it forces you to write better code.

QFT.

Funny how butthurt they get when called out.

You call that calling someone out? No, that's just your typical hit and run style of posting. Drop in a thread, throw out an insulting one liner and leave. High post count, very low contribution. It's your trademark.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. Bobo 100% disagreed, but in an informative post that I could respect. Actually had some information I wasn't aware of.

Anyway, I feel this used to be a place to share different ideas and opinions, lately though I feel its a place where Ideas and opinions get ridiculed or need to be constantly defended. Someone here who I respect PM'd me and said they don't feel this place has changed. Maybe he's right, maybe I've changed. Either way posting here has become more frustration than fun and I definitely need to take an extended break, if not just stop posting altogether. To be clear I feel the vast majority of people here are great, (thanks to you) but there is a very vocal minority that I find intolerable especially when certain topics or companies are discussed. Maybe I'm just becoming too soft with age.

Special thanks to the few that PM'd me. I was genuinely appreciative and surprised. Can't say if I'll be back or not. I never say never, but right now I definitely need a long break.

You call that calling someone out? No, that's just your typical hit and run style of posting. Drop in a thread, throw out an insulting one liner and leave. High post count, very low contribution. It's your trademark.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. Bobo 100% disagreed, but in an informative post that I could respect. Actually had some information I wasn't aware of.

Anyway, I feel this used to be a place to share different ideas and opinions, lately though I feel its a place where Ideas and opinions get ridiculed or need to be constantly defended. Someone here who I respect PM'd me and said they don't feel this place has changed. Maybe he's right, maybe I've changed. Either way posting here has become more frustration than fun and I definitely need to take an extended break, if not just stop posting altogether. To be clear I feel the vast majority of people here are great, (thanks to you) but there is a very vocal minority that I find intolerable especially when certain topics or companies are discussed. Maybe I'm just becoming too soft with age.

Special thanks to the few that PM'd me. I was genuinely appreciative and surprised. Can't say if I'll be back or not. I never say never, but right now I definitely need a long break.

If a break is what you need then take it, but don't act as if you've been terribly wronged in some way. Passive-aggressive attacks and playing the victim don't suit you very well.

At least you've shown your true colors. Now you just need to grow up.

For the life of me I can't figure out the hostility towards adding a fun feature to a video game. This started happening about 2003-2004.

Wasn't that around the time MMORPG's hit big? I can agree with your reasoning that MP can be a fun feature, but to me it's simply resources spent on something I'm probably never going to use.

I won't yell blasphemy at the mention of MP (that's Joxers job), and I have no problem with Co-op MP like in DoS or BG. That's still great SP games you can enjoy by yourself or with friends/ family. But MOST MP aspects in games are about competing with people you don't know, and games tailored for exactly that purpose. Since that probably doesn't bring anything interesting to the SP part of a game I consider it wasted resources because that's the only part I'll play.

In the end though, I game I enjoy is a game I enjoy, so it's never a deal breaker that game has MP. But it is a reason to me to be a bit more sceptical of it.

Last edited:
You could make a case that MP in a turn based game like DOS2 is kind of a win-win. But in a realtime action game, it's not so simple. There are many constraints that arise from having to sync everyone to a standard clock. Anything that messes with the flow of time, whether major gameplay features like VATS or bullet time, or thngs like variable animation speed and accessing the interface during combat, all of that stuff is constrained.

I've also seen devs discussing the compromises that need to be made in MP action games, and how that tends to give them all a similar feel and motion, with players zooming and bouncing about in a rather unnatural way, necessary to keep things fluid and consistent.

Just imagine if those devs, instead of brainstorming microtransactions, used that time to make a decent AI in proper games.

Multiplayer is ruining rpgs and gaming in general, that is why people are so sensitive about it. The large AAA companies, in their greed, are designing their games to be multiplayer focused, and trying to squeeze out as many microtransactions from the players as possible, without offending players too much, or making them feel like they are being scammed.

That is why its such a breath of fresh air to see one of those AAA companies, like CDPR, buck the trend, and say No!, we still know what the gaming fan really wants. We still are going to make a ton of money - millions, in fact - from our games, but still have integrity while we do it.

And I'm just stating the obvious here, but sometimes, the obvious needs to be said.

It's just ruining AAA games, not all games. The ever-increasing amount of money it takes to give a game top-notch graphics, sound, flashy cinematics etc just isn't worth it these days for a single-player game that most people will pay for once, play for 25-50 hours, then never touch again. For that reason, it was probably inevitable that the vast majority of AAA games would eventually morph into something that people like us are no longer interested in. Of course there are a small number of exceptions like CDPR and Bethesda. At least for now…

CDPR, marketing genius.

Ive never seen a company get so much praise for doing nothing.

Brilliant, really. Vaguely mention MP, let everyone work themselves in to a frenzy, then come back and say single player is the main focus, which was the plan all along.

Reminds me of the 15 horse armor DLC’s they were praised for giving for free.

Yea, CDPR are heroes, best company ever.lol.

I like CDPR but they are so good at generating praise and favor for doing nothing. Priceless really.

First okay, I guess people can think what they want.

Second does Fuent like this he has never even played any of their games. LOL insane

I found that it's better to just look at the first page of news in the forums and that's it. For some reason nothing really positive comes from commenting, discussing, debating, or anything like that on this forum or many others for that matter.

Personally, I'd recommend you do what I did - take a break but don't come back. Or rarely come back. Use the site for basic news and only spend 5 minutes, if that, browsing the news stories. Ignore the dumb posts and keep it moving. I'm enjoying life a lot more now that I barely post on forums anymore. Posting to debate, argue or discuss anything more advanced than "hey I like this game, thanks for posting" is mostly fruitless. I used to think influencing future RPG devs by posting was some great mission, but they can handle it on their own. :) And anyone who wants to play a game with you or just be a friend can hit you up on Steam or some other social media.

You're a good dude, you'll figure it out. Take care. And avoid forums and comment sections. It's just masochism IMO.

Ive seen some real assholes around here but seriously.

Im done here this place gets worse and worse.

Goodbye everyone.
Calm down and get your arse back here. It's internet man, different people, different tastes, different attitudes and different opinions. You can't love everyone, stick with a few you do. This forum has an ignore option, use it just like I do.

MP could be a ton of fun in this game. Like a time mission, Ocean 11 style, where you have to team up with people with wide variety of skills to break in the "vault".
Or side activities, like Cops chasing criminals or Medtechie being part of Trauma team.
On the flipside, they played a trick during that last presentation that could be confirmation on E3:

Attachments

• 4-uNaeav7lqnPi9nFAzA_vQ0jdIHujBHOp8a-d1hs9I.jpg
    4-uNaeav7lqnPi9nFAzA_vQ0jdIHujBHOp8a-d1hs9I.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom