DA:I DA4 is in development

Dragon Age: Inquisition

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Perhaps not an appropriate section, but till we get it in the news part:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/dragon-age-4/new-dragon-age-game

Reading lots of feedback regarding Dragon Age, and I think you’ll be relieved to see what the team is working on. Story & character focused.

Too early to talk details, but when we talk about “live” it just means designing a game for continued storytelling after the main story.
Note that Casey dind't say gameplay. Which means it could be that the game is not mushrooms oriented.

Note also that 99.99% of Bioware is working on some EA's new MMO garbage called Anthem that's supposed to be Destiny killer. Like that'd be some hard thing to accomplish.
Still, it means we won't see DA4 for a long time.

Hmm, even I've pretty much given up on them by now. There's still potential in their franchises, but I don't think we'll see it realized.

I wanted to like DA:I but it just ground me down in the end. Keep meaning to go back to it. I have low hopes and expectations for DA4, which means they can only be surpassed, right?

Well, I liked DA:I and ME:A. I will check this out, certainly.

So did I, but after EA shut down future ME stuff and geared the main BioWare studio towards a more social, shooter style, I stopped thinking we'll see more SP RPGs from them.

Hopefully I'm wrong, though. Only time will tell.

Well, to me Mass Effect 2 and 3 were both worse than ME:A - and were both more shooter than anything.

Anthem is just them jumping on another bandwagon.

DA4 is most likely going to continue in the DA:I style - which, while not ideal, is ok with me.

Then again, I gave up on "the old Bioware" many years ago. They haven't done anything remotely on the level of KotOR since…. KotOR :)

I liked the Mass Effects, on the whole. I'd say the gameplay was pretty perfunctory, really, but I found the setting and the space opera engaging enough that I didn't mind sort of grinding through it. If it's all going down the EA route of online team shooters, though, that's not going to work for me.

Both DA:I and ME:A were serviceable. Neither of them had many, if any, OMG moments. Well, maybe that first remnant cave that went on for too long. That said I am intrigued by a potential DA4. Unless they make it groundbreaking (right…) it won't be a day one purchase.

They do need to add animal talking like DD:OS2. Sad bear cubs for everyone! ;)

Last edited:
I played DAI and it was okay for one run through. DA4 depends on the whole idea of what live means for me. If it means online MP, micro-transactions, or the like I won't bother. Hard to say based on a tweet. My instinct was story telling continuing after the game means maybe buying additional stuff or some online aspect to continue the game. But pure conjecture. Wait and see.

I couldn't get into DA:I and there's no chance they are going back to DA:O style. But I still find the universe interesting enough, so have a very tiny hope for DA4 still.

I liked MEs (excluding ME:A which I haven't played) as a whole a lot more than DAs, so still hoping they will announce another ME in the future.

Note also that 99.99% of Bioware is working on some EA's new MMO garbage called Anthem that's supposed to be Destiny killer.

That one likely committed suicide. This could be way off, it goes they're reduced to a pretty small crew.
Best case scenario: Anthem mildly successful, so they'll see some value ( err, profit) in more traditional campaigns.

Just going to add a link where Mike Laidlaw talked about Dragon Age 4's Development.

Link - https://www.usgamer.net/articles/fo...t-on-dragon-age-4s-development-possible-story
BioWare's much-loved Dragon Age series is in a strange place right now, much like Bioware itself. If the games progressed as former BioWare lead writer Mike Laidlaw initially planned, where would the story travel? Laidlaw himself laid out some of his ideas during a conversation at GDC 2018. He also shared his thoughts on leaving BioWare behind.

Sadly, I feel like Bioware's days as an RPG developer might be over.
After Mass Effect Andromeda's failure, the closing of BioWare Montréal, the new trend of going GaaS, and big names leaving I'd say,"The die has been cast".

Last edited:
Sadly, I feel like Bioware's days as an RPG developer might be over.

I feel it was over the day they signed with EA.

The sad thing is they published a ton of bad games under titles that were once great.

Why on earth wouldn't they go back to the Origins formula, when that was clearly the best game of the entire franchise? You can try other avenues, but when they all prove out to be horrible, lick your wounds, suck up the ego and go back to the product that people enjoyed!

Back
Top Bottom