Might & Magic rant

One of the polls I showed had MM6 well above MM7, so I don't see your point.

I strongly disagree with that. MM7 had choices and branching paths. The idea of the scavenger hunt, rebuilding a castle, and being caught in the middle of a war and deciding the outcome are novel concepts. MM6 had a more traditional story for its time.

You're not taking into account how popular Heroes of Might and Magic was at the time. This was at the height of Heroes popularity. A story that ties both M&M universes together was pure gold for most players.

Coming from someone who has played every M&M game and Heroes game that is my theory on why M&M6 is remembered more fondly. Plus you got an awesome shirt when you bought M&M6. I still have mine :) Not to mention Larry Elmore did the art on the M&M6 box. You are talking to a M&M historian so if you have any other questions that need to be answered ask away ;)

I like MM6 more than MM7, but from my experience from visiting various forums over the years it is the latter which gets the more praise.

I think part of my preference is partially caused by the fact that I played MM6 first and MM7 much too quickly afterwards, which made it it feel too similar by comparison.
I can certainly see reasons why people prefer both games though.

That said, this thread does remind me that I never did investigate the Light path from MM7 one day, as I have only completed it from the Dark.

Why does everyone bring up and praise MM6 and not MM7, which is clearly superior?

- Major gameplay improvements (most important being the class system and skills)
- Choices and branching narrative
- Great tutorial and opening hook
- Multiple races to choose from
- Less trash mobs polluting the map
- Better open world design
- Slightly polished graphics

The only thing better about MM6 is that it has a bigger world and dungeons. MM7
focused on quality > quantity and making enhancements to the gameplay and narrative. For Blood and Honor deserves the most praise, not Mandate of Heaven.

Probably because it’s just your opinion. I’ll do you one better why does anyone. praise any M&M game at all? I found them boring and repetitive and was never able to finish any of them.

Probably because that’s just my opinion and I don’t expect everyone to share it or anyone for that matter.:biggrin:

Yeah, it's an opinion about a legendary RPG series. I wanted to discuss it with all you fellow oldshcool RPG players on an oldschool RPG discussion forum. Deal with it.

MM7 is underappreciated. It was one of the first RPGs to put a major focus on branching paths and world reactivity. It was also one of the first RPGs with time-based events. I believe it deserves a lot more recognition by fans of the series, especially when compared to 6 which it improved on a lot technically and gameplaywise.

I do like some of the explanations in this thread. I had never considered the impact HoMM might have on player's perception of the story, and there's also the fact that it came out shortly after MM6 so maybe it didn't feel as fresh.

I'm grateful for each and every single Might and Magic game that exists today. This series is one of the most that I replay, and I don't see that ever changing, they are just too damn much fun!!!

My favourite is 4&5 combined, World of Xeen. I never really got into/finished number 6..8.

pibbur who is a bit shamed to admit that he did finish the MM that, according to the owner of dtes should not be mentioned in polite circles.

MM7 is an improved iteration of 6, but keep in mind that at the time MM6 was a new take on the M&M experience that ended up being an amazing game, leaving a good impression on us. In truth, I think most people who praise that set in the series usually lump them together.

Those games had some great character progression mechanics that other people need to steal.

Also, shoutout to World of Xeen, a great game in it's own right.

Back
Top Bottom