The TV Series discussion thread

The night of. 5/5 for me. This 8 part crime series tells you a story about a young man accused of murder in New York city. After a night of partying with a female stranger, he wakes up to find her stabbed to death and is charged with her murder. The big question ofcourse is: Did he do it? The series shows how the flawed justice system works. A food for thought. The quality of acting and writing is just top notch. The level of cinematography is suberb as well.

Been watching The Vikings once again. I still enjoy the series, but I think the writing has been a bit rough lately. Characters are well writen, but the plot development itself hasn't really been that stellar as it used to be… I'd say the viking started as 5/5, but at the moment its only 3/5.

Black sails is such a fun series to watch. Keywords: Pirates, sex and violence. The series starts really slow, but it really picks up the pace during season 2. The last episode was in particular really brutal. And I mean really brutal. Joxer would love it. ;)

Homeland's new season is on. I wish the would just release all episodes at once, the tension is just killing me. :)

Last edited:
I am really liking Daredevil The main reason that sets this apart from other super hero series is the "morally human" villains.

Taboo - 5/10

All style and limited substance would seem to be the correct description for this show.

The night of. 5/5 for me. This 8 part crime series tells you a story about a young man accused of murder in New York city. After a night of partying with a female stranger, he wakes up to find her stabbed to death and is charged with her murder. The big question ofcourse is: Did he do it? The series shows how the flawed justice system works. A food for thought. The quality of acting and writing is just top notch. The level of cinematography is suberb as well.

Been watching The Vikings once again. I still enjoy the series, but I think the writing has been a bit rough lately. Characters are well writen, but the plot development itself hasn't really been that stellar as it used to be… I'd say the viking started as 5/5, but at the moment its only 3/5.

Black sails is such a fun series to watch. Keywords: Pirates, sex and violence. The series starts really slow, but it really picks up the pace during season 2. The last episode was in particular really brutal. And I mean really brutal. Joxer would love it. ;)

Homeland's new season is on. I wish the would just release all episodes at once, the tension is just killing me. :)

Yes im watched series 1 & 2 of Blacksails in the space of a week, i was hooked. I noticed the fnal series is showing on Amazon prime. Don't know if i will get chance to watch it though as I am trying to get through The Grand Tour before my free 1 month trial of Amazon prime runs out

The Expanse. Pretty good Sci-Fi show, really dark at times which is welcome. Some cringeworthy actors (unfortunately one main char), but less than usual for a sci-fi show (i could never stand e.g Star Gate for this reason, not a huge fan of Firefly either). 8/10

The Wire. Rewatched this show recently. Really like many of the actors and topics.. 8.5/10.

Walking Dead. Last season has been absolutely terrible. On the whole it's a 7/10 for me.

Night of. It started of really strong, but turns generic very quickly, probably won't finish (seen to epsiode 4 or 5). 5/10

Taboo. I don't like it. I think it's beneath a great actor such as Hardy. I like parts of it, the anti-hero qualities of the main character for example, but the cringe is strong in many of the "mystical" scenes, it just comes of as really stupid. 6/10

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. I struggled with the first episode - turned it off halway and kind of forgot about it, didn't care too much for the characters or story. For some reason i took it up again after some months, i was quite blown away. Best show since Stranger Things. 8.9/10

Some cringeworthy actors (unfortunately one main char), but less than usual for a sci-fi show (i could never stand e.g Star Gate for this reason, not a huge fan of Firefly either). 8/10

I agree about Star Gate, but I thought tbe acting in Firefly was above average.

Walking Dead. Last season has been absolutely terrible. On the whole it's a 7/10 for me

Completely agree. I don't know what happened to that show, but it's sad how far it's fallen.

The Expanse. Pretty good Sci-Fi show, really dark at times which is welcome. Some cringeworthy actors (unfortunately one main char), but less than usual for a sci-fi show (i could never stand e.g Star Gate for this reason, not a huge fan of Firefly either). 8/10

The Wire. Rewatched this show recently. Really like many of the actors and topics.. 8.5/10.

Walking Dead. Last season has been absolutely terrible. On the whole it's a 7/10 for me.

Night of. It started of really strong, but turns generic very quickly, probably won't finish (seen to epsiode 4 or 5). 5/10

Taboo. I don't like it. I think it's beneath a great actor such as Hardy. I like parts of it, the anti-hero qualities of the main character for example, but the cringe is strong in many of the "mystical" scenes, it just comes of as really stupid. 6/10

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. I struggled with the first episode - turned it off halway and kind of forgot about it, didn't care too much for the characters or story. For some reason i took it up again after some months, i was quite blown away. Best show since Stranger Things. 8.9/10

I like the expanse too.

Looking forward to season 2, but like you I find one of the main characters really bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expanse is decent, seems to be sticking to the novels for the most part so far, which is a good call because the books are quite good. My one complaint might be that Bobby doesn't seem to be getting much time in the show up to this point.

Colony might win my reward for most improved show, this series has seemed much improved over the first. From episode to episode, it is almost totally unpredictable as to what will happen next, in a good way.

I've been trying to get into The Expanse. Seems like a show I'd like, but there's something off about the actors.

Iron Fist - 5/10

Now, this is a strange one. I should probably say that I don't particularly like any of these Netflix Marvel shows - except in a mildly entertaining way.

As in, they've all just barely kept me watching - except perhaps for certain moments in Daredevil that were genuinely exciting.

Iron Fist has some really amazing things going for it, primarily some of the cast. I'm finding the Meachum family exceptionally well cast.

David Wenham is simply delightful - as is the girl playing Joy, which I've never seen before. But the actor playing Ward is just fantastic. Supreme performance, if you ask me.

Now, I know nothing of the comic books - so I haven't the slightest concept of what would be appropriate casting for Danny Rand - but I don't really like him. He's a decent enough actor - but he's very annoying in his constant wavering between decisions and doubt. I can't figure out if he's supposed to be a complete wuss or a brave fighter.

The plot was meh, the action was meh - but the dialogue and acting is strong for the most part.

Unsatisfying, but somehow I was still mildly entertained throughout.

Iron fist was decent, but not nearly as good as the other Netflix Marvel products. Whoever cast Rand should have done their homework, the lead clipper on Into the Bad Lands would have been much better. Heck, almost any basic non-white male would have been an improvement. Other casting in the show was much better, but when you mess up with the lead, it hurts the entire production.

Iron fist was decent, but not nearly as good as the other Netflix Marvel products. Whoever cast Rand should have done their homework, the lead clipper on Into the Bad Lands would have been much better. Heck, almost any basic non-white male would have been an improvement. Other casting in the show was much better, but when you mess up with the lead, it hurts the entire production.

Yeah, I would have to agree with that. The lead is pretty key :)

Didn't watch it. Not because of whitewashing, just didn't have enough time for everything I planned.
Based on your reactions, I'll probably avoid it for good.

I've been trying to get into The Expanse. Seems like a show I'd like, but there's something off about the actors.

Iron Fist - 5/10

Now, this is a strange one. I should probably say that I don't particularly like any of these Netflix Marvel shows - except in a mildly entertaining way.

As in, they've all just barely kept me watching - except perhaps for certain moments in Daredevil that were genuinely exciting.

Iron Fist has some really amazing things going for it, primarily some of the cast. I'm finding the Meachum family exceptionally well cast.

David Wenham is simply delightful - as is the girl playing Joy, which I've never seen before. But the actor playing Ward is just fantastic. Supreme performance, if you ask me.

Now, I know nothing of the comic books - so I haven't the slightest concept of what would be appropriate casting for Danny Rand - but I don't really like him. He's a decent enough actor - but he's very annoying in his constant wavering between decisions and doubt. I can't figure out if he's supposed to be a complete wuss or a brave fighter.

The plot was meh, the action was meh - but the dialogue and acting is strong for the most part.

Unsatisfying, but somehow I was still mildly entertained throughout.

I'm watching it now, on episode 11 I think (I watch 2/night). I agree the character is like the most inconsistent character I've seen in any of the Marvel series. Sometimes he's a wise monk, sometimes he's dark torturer motherfucker, sometimes he's humble, sometimes he's proud, sometimes he's smart, sometimes he can't be any more stupid... It's like 10 writers wrote 10 different versions of the character, and for each scene they randomly selected one of them to write that scene.

I'm watching it now, on episode 11 I think (I watch 2/night). I agree the character is like the most inconsistent character I've seen in any of the Marvel series. Sometimes he's a wise monk, sometimes he's dark torturer motherfucker, sometimes he's humble, sometimes he's proud, sometimes he's smart, sometimes he can't be any more stupid… It's like 10 writers wrote 10 different versions of the character, and for each scene they randomly selected one of them to write that scene.

That's a good description, actually :)

One of the most confused characters I've ever seen.

Another thumbs up for the Expanse. I liked the slow moving plot, and the way that it didn't spell stuff out for you. Actually, I usually didn't have a clue what was going on...but in a good way! :) I liked that towards the end it started coming together in a satisfying way. I'm looking forward to Season 2.

I just finished season 1 of 12 Monkeys. I thought it started really strongly - well paced, good actors, good script - but it went downhill around episode 7 and grew increasingly poor quality. I thought the last two episodes were terrible. Not sure I'll bother with the next season.

Expanse has done an excellent job of changing a few things up from the novels to make it even more enticing for those that have read the books. I've been quite impressed with how this show has matured!

I just finished season 1 of 12 Monkeys. I thought it started really strongly - well paced, good actors, good script - but it went downhill around episode 7 and grew increasingly poor quality. I thought the last two episodes were terrible. Not sure I'll bother with the next season.

That's about my experience too. I liked it for about 4-5 episodes, then it started sucking and I just abandoned it by the 7th or so.

Has anyone else seen The OA? It's a Netflix original series and probably the best one since Stranger Things. I'm curious what other people thought about it.

Back
Top Bottom