NWN2 - Mysteries of Westgate Update - July?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Last we heard Atari's DRM scheme would be added to the 1.13 NWN2 patch (after failing to make it into v1.12). Today Atari's keehwan_her posted an update for Mysteries of Westgate with another delay:
Dear NWN2 fans,

As you may have heard Atari, Obsidian, and Ossian have been working together to create a new security system to protect games that don’t have an .exe file. NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate is our first product to utilize this new system, and consequently its release has been delayed until we can effectively implement this important aspect.

The good news is, the new security system is nearly complete. Obsidian has just recently completed work on the client side of this system and Atari is currently setting up the production servers in preparation to go live in the next few weeks. Our priority is to get the security in place for release with NWN2 Update 1.14 in July and shortly thereafter Mysteries of Westgate will be released.

We sincerely apologize for any frustrations these delays may have caused to Ossian, Obsidian, and especially the D&D community. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate is a fantastic adventure that should be properly evaluated independent of Atari’s security system delays. We appreciate and thank you for your continued patience and enthusiasm for Neverwinter Nights products.

Thank you,

The Atari Team
More information.

Hm, any idea as to what this "new security system" entails? I have NWN2 installed, which only required a CD key, and have kept this current w.r.t. patches. This talk of new "DRM" so soon after Mass Effect, leaves me decidedly twitchy...

All I know is yet another thing DRM has screwed up!

Yeah, a double whammy for MoW - not only has it been delayed way past the time where most players* would have been interested in playing it, but now it'll come with some new horribly contrived DRM that'll put off half of those few that are still left.

* The time to strike was within a few month of MotB being released. As it is, most players have wandered away to other things now. A hardcore is left, of course, but it's a shadow of what it was even at the start of this year.

This DRM is online based because MoW is their first Digital Download Premium Mod aka. Adventure Pack.

Atari attempted to find one 3rd Party but they couldn't, so they decided to make one of their own. That was last year and MoW was finished in December...

And now Atari has released MotB Gold without MoW to many playrs objections.

This DRM is online based because MoW is their first Digital Download Premium Mod aka. Adventure Pack.

Let's bet it won't be translated ?

None of Bioware's NWN1 Premium Packs have EVER been translated in to German language ! I guess that Atari just wants to keep the money for themselves.

Let's bet it won't be translated ?

None of Bioware's NWN1 Premium Packs have EVER been translated in to German language ! I guess that Atari just wants to keep the money for themselves.

Or keep the cost down for everyone. How much extra would you pay for a German language version?

Given the mod-friendliness of NWN2, I'm betting that a community translation mod will pop up if the expansion is popular enough, and that's probably what Atari is betting on. Why pay for the translation when the fans will do it for free?

I agree that the timing for Mysteries of Westgate is probably the worst time.
In July many people will be away on vacations, at least in Europe. The timing would have been right in decemeber as a sort of Christmas Gift to the community.

I also don't understand why MoW doesn't have an .exe file...

I also agree that most players (not me, though) have wandered away to other things & games say MEPC...

I also don't understand why MoW doesn't have an .exe file...
It's a module for NWN2, ie just data loaded by the already existing nwn2.exe

I also agree that most players (not me, though) have wandered away to other things & games say MEPC...
I think most of those that would buy premium modules will wander back to try it out - we'll have finished The Witcher and MEPC and be looking for something else to play.

Back
Top Bottom