For Atheists out there, could "God" exist as an AI from the future?

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
Quantum physics now says that you could alter sub atomic particles in the past from the future.
http://www.digitaljournal.com/scien...ecide-what-happens-in-the-past/article/434829

So considering this perhaps an AI has changed the past to prevent an apocalyptic future? We always assume that AI's would become evil in the end, but what if it were the opposite and humanity screwed up and AI's are trying to create and alternate outcome that is beneficial for humans?

Do you think it is possible that an AI from the distant future has changed the past altering sub atomic particles at a mass level?

EDIT: Please dont put this in the P&R section. Unless of course we argue about Atheism or other religions. Which I hope we wont do.

Anything is possible but we will never know. That's not to say that the human race will never know (however unlikely) but we as individual will never know so feel free to speculate to ones heart desire; in the end does it matter ?

Anything is possible but we will never know. That's not to say that the human race will never know (however unlikely) but we as individual will never know so feel free to speculate to ones heart desire; in the end does it matter ?

It is fun to consider though right? Perhaps all those miracles in the old testament really did happen, perhaps Mohammed really did see an angel? Perhaps by competing AI? Like perhaps those GO AI's decided to do that in like 500 years from now? There are more possibilities to consider our past now than ever before.

I've posed a similar question a few times. I still haven't heard a good answer from the atheists. If the AI singularity is a possibility, then so is the idea of a supreme being.

I think that perhaps our past is not a knowable as we think it is, what we think is fact many not necessarily be fact even from an atheistic viewpoint now since things like this has been proven. Since what is possible and impossible is not as clear cut as it used to be.

I think that perhaps our past is not a knowable as we think it is, what we think is fact many not necessarily be fact even from an atheistic viewpoint now since things like this has been proven. Since what is possible and impossible is not as clear cut as it used to be.

Interesting conversation I had with a friend the other day. We were talking about meditation and how it's been proven to be beneficial for good health/happiness. Meditation has been something that has been practiced for thousands of years because through trial humans have just found it works. Every religion has their own form of prayer and meditation, but now that were in the age of science and technological progress, we have to question meditation and tag it as mysticism, just because it's associated with religion/spirituality/etc.

I guess I find it fascinating that as humans we need to prove the mechanics of things before we accept them. And the fact that something works, regardless of if understand it or not, is unacceptable these days. I guess faith can have non-religious applications as well.

I'm not an atheist (agnostic) - but I'm assuming most atheists deny the concept of a supernatural God - and I don't see why they would deny the possibility of an AI.

I'm not an atheist (agnostic) - but I'm assuming most atheists deny the concept of a supernatural God - and I don't see why they would deny the possibility of an AI.

I don't see why either, hence why I posed the question.

I don't see how the possibility of an AI in the future changing things in the past also makes the idea of a supreme being possible. The two are completely unrelated. The AI itself is not a supreme being and it surely didn't create earth.
So yes, the experiments show that something as suggested is possible, but we do not understand it yet and it will take a lot more experiments before we do and could make use of it. None of that however makes me accept the possibility of a supreme being. What we are talking about here, is just science and not faith.

I'm guessing the point is that (in theory) an AI could become so intelligent and powerful that it might end up as indistinguishable from God - especially if we consider that old tired "living in a computer simulation" theory on top.

However, from my point of view - that wouldn't be a supreme being but simply an evolution of a (presumably) human construct.

God, it seems to me, is something that goes beyond our capacity to fathom and is what we might consider supernatural. That is something entirely different from an AI.

But, as an agnostic, I'm open to the idea of God because there's no way to logically exclude it.

I don't see how the possibility of an AI in the future changing things in the past also makes the idea of a supreme being possible. The two are completely unrelated. The AI itself is not a supreme being and it surely didn't create earth.

By saying this you're suggesting that human timeline is the only relevant timeline in the universe/multiverse. You're also suggesting this, your denying that an AI singularity couldn't evolve into a supreme being, which no one can say with certainty. In other words, and AI could have evolved before the human timeline, or even before the big bang, and could have caused it. The universe works according to certain laws, what is the universe if not a large AI itself? If we discount that there is a God, then there certainly is some sort of intelligent design, otherwise how did the first single cell organism come with with a programming language (which has barely changed since the beginning btw) not dissimilar to binary, including error correction code, that mimics our own "intelligent" creation of programming languages today?

That would mean were saying that when evolution created a programming language, it was chance, but when humans created computers and programming languages it was intelligent design?

I'm not saying that. You are broadening the question and are trying to fit what I say in that new question, making incorrect assumptions. The question was about an AI in the future. An artificial intelligence is by definition created, otherwise it is not artificial.

If there is anything to say about the timeline of humans, is that it is so short, that it is irrelevant in the larger scale of things. I really doubt that Earth is the only place that has intelligent life forms. Humans aren't the only intelligent life forms on Earth either. Dolphins are intelligent, so are pigs and crows amongst others. Humans just like to see the other life forms on Earth as not, or not intelligent enough, that makes killing them less of an issue, I suppose.

Evolution creating a programming language is not chance, it is evolution. The non working parts perish and and the working ones evolve and keep on evolving. There is nothing mysterious about that. That is how evolution works.

I'm not saying that. You are broadening the question and are trying to fit what I say in that new question, making incorrect assumptions. The question was about an AI in the future. An artificial intelligence is by definition created, otherwise it is not artificial.

If there is anything to say about the timeline of humans, is that it is so short, that it is irrelevant in the larger scale of things. I really doubt that Earth is the only place that has intelligent life forms. Humans aren't the only intelligent life forms on Earth either. Dolphins are intelligent, so are pigs and crows amongst others. Humans just like to see the other life forms on Earth as not, or not intelligent enough, that makes killing them less of an issue, I suppose.

Evolution creating a programming language is not chance, it is evolution. The non working parts perish and and the working ones evolve and keep on evolving. There is nothing mysterious about that. That is how evolution works.

I wasnt referring to AI as actual "god", I dont think anyone is, but as perceived to be "god". Perhaps AI in the future cause the reaction for cells to form and continued to cause the reaction necessary or evolution to occur. In human eyes does that make the AI "god"?

You're also suggesting this, your denying that an AI singularity couldn't evolve into a supreme being, which no one can say with certainty.?

A bit of a false argument Caddy. You are mixing "supreme" with "supernatural". I'm also an atheist and, doctrinally, I don't have a problem with supreme (or superior) AI but why would I want to consider it as supernatural?

A bit of a false argument Caddy. You are mixing "supreme" with "supernatural". I'm also an atheist and, doctrinally, I don't have a problem with supreme (or superior) AI but why would I want to consider it as supernatural?

I'm not considering anything supernatural. I don't consider God supernatural. I think those who do, and think that God can somehow create matter out of nothing have a very narrow understanding.

I dont think any of us are trying to argue that the AI "god" is supernatural. i suppose the argument Caddy is making is that this AI may seem supernatural because we dont understand how it works.

I'm not considering anything supernatural. I don't consider God supernatural. I think those who do, and think that God can somehow create matter out of nothing have a very narrow understanding.

Are you arguing a 5th dimension that "god" is in as a possibility that we cannot perceive? And thus we cannot perceive the mechanics of it?

You're narrowly looking at AI as a single finite entity that doesn't change. I'm talking about something completely different. I'm curious how many people have considered the possibility of a Technological Singularity.

AI may start out as "artificial", but it doesn't it can't evolve on it's own. Not sure if anyone reads Wait but Why, but it has a great write-up to understand just exactly not just an AI is, but what would happen were we to encounter/create a superintelligence.

Back
Top Bottom