The TV Series discussion thread

Back to Voyager, I've noticed that some of my favorite episodes have the lowest ratings.

For instance, there are two episodes focusing on a Holodeck Irish village (Fair Haven) - and I love them both. They're so charming and we get to see a lot more of various characters, particularly Janeway.

I think they did a great job at picking supporting actors for these episodes - and I wonder why they're rated so low? I guess they're not sci-fi enough.

If you're looking at imdb's scores per episode, ignore it completely and concentrate on the show's overall recent scores. That site's scoring system is trash - a football hater is scoring a football game or drama junkie is scoring an utter boredom.

Kingdom is absolutely fantastic. Stayed up all night to watch it. It's not just the location, time period or beautiful photo but there's a sense of adventure that i miss in many other zombie series. Many really colorful characters too.

Series of the Year for me (SotY :p) i'll be very happy if we get something that will outdo it this year.

Kingdom is absolutely fantastic.

Series of the Year for me (SotY :p) i'll be very happy if we get something that will outdo it this year.
Don't be that fast, in recent few years asia made many awsome shows so it's highly possible Kingdom will have a frenzy competition.

For example, in case you still didn't, do watch the first season of Secret Forest (Bimilui Soop, Netflix oddly translated it as Stranger, dunno why):
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6461346/
https://mydramalist.com/21934-stranger
While the first season has a proper ending, it's second season with a new case is expected later this year (unknown date, 31 dec is just a placeholder).

Another example, the supertalented IMO cast from thai's The Gifted gem with some "enforcements" is working on Blacklist that will start streaming on GMMTV's official yt channel as freebie with eng subs this fall (no, although has the same name as another ongoing Hollywood's "soap", it's a different story):
https://mydramalist.com/31863-blacklist

But as far as Kingdom's first season goes, it delivered.
Who still didn't watch it? Well, what are you waiting for? Doomsday? Do it already.

Last edited:
Back to Voyager, I've noticed that some of my favorite episodes have the lowest ratings.

For instance, there are two episodes focusing on a Holodeck Irish village (Fair Haven) - and I love them both. They're so charming and we get to see a lot more of various characters, particularly Janeway.

I think they did a great job at picking supporting actors for these episodes - and I wonder why they're rated so low? I guess they're not sci-fi enough.

Ebert and Roper got into an argument about a movie....

Police Academy 5??????

Ebert thought it was silly bla bla bla, Roper said you don't go to police academy movies to see the latest Citizen Kane, you go to be entertained within that genre. And that is what it did. I got me to thinking off all the movies I liked and other people or critics didn't. (Michele and Romey's High School Reunion). I got blasted for liking that movie but I didn't get mad, I just kinda felt sorry that they missed out on the joy that I experienced.

When TNG first came out, it was not guaranteed that it would be around long. They piecemealed the show via syndication instead of routing it though the networks. In Los Angeles it came on channel 13, the lowest rated tv station in the metropolitan area. An independent station. An unaffiliated network station with no ties to the big three (ABC,CBS,NBC). Still, I manually changed the channel to little used channel 13 (no remotes at the time) And I watched TNG religiously every week because I had no hope that it would last beyond the first season.

Well the rest as they say is history...and here we are discussing low rated Trek episodes. Truth be told, on my first view (way back when) Fair Haven kinda bored me. so when I went through my reviewing of the series it was one of the ones I revisited last. However, on my second view, I had more of an appreciation for what Janeway was doing and found the episode far more touching. Not my favorite episode but it was a good story.

As a semi-Irish person, I have to say that the cringe level of the "oirish" impersonations in those episodes was off the charts. :p

I thought that was part of the charm. I interpreted the over-the-top characters as a deliberate exaggeration - to serve the humor/innocence angle.

Maybe. But i suspect it has more to do with the realities of filming on a budget in an LA backlot. :p

Started binge-watching season 3 of Preacher. I'm about halfway through and so far it's excellent in the same way the first two seasons were.

The second series of Counterpart started off kind of slowly, and then built up into something fantastic. I have some pretty wild theories about what might be going on, and I truly enjoy viewing a show that has me still thinking about the episode hours and days later!!

Is Counterpart any better than Charlie Jade?

I've no idea what Charlie Jade is, so I wouldn't be the one to answer that. If you enjoy heavy espionage shows with a dash of science fiction tossed in, Counterpart will fit that need. I would easily call it the best show currently on television.

My mistake, didn't provide link:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408378/
Charlie Jade is a rogue private detective in a world dominated by greedy multinational corporations. While on an investigation, Charlie explores a secret desert facility. A massive explosion propels him from his own universe (alphaverse) to a strange parallel universe (betaverse). Soon, Charlie is drawn into a conflict that involves these two universes and one other pacifist universe (gammaverse) with unsuspected terror at its heart.

Trailer:

For some reason, Fringe that appeared later went more popular and CJ became a nevertell secret yet wasn't forgotten by some of us.

Good to see shows like kingdom recommended here as otherwise I might not watch it for a long time. Really wish I could replace Netflix's custom ratings into the IMDb/RT score or, better yet, the rpgwatch appreciation score.

The second series of Counterpart started off kind of slowly, and then built up into something fantastic. I have some pretty wild theories about what might be going on, and I truly enjoy viewing a show that has me still thinking about the episode hours and days later!!

ugh . . . Two more episodes to go and then I will binge watch.

The show really isn't that fast paced to begin with so to start off even a bit perceived as slow is not really a good sign for me. But in about 2 weeks I will see.

One show I just kinda finished watching was Mars season 2. The docudrama has an interesting kind of story telling. At least in season one. However, season 2 had this, to me, fake planetary conflict that just took me out of the whole show. After 2.5 episodes I jumped to the last half hour of the last episode. Nothing surprising and the last 30 min coupled with a quick wiki recap of the middle "missing episodes" and I was all caught up. Very satisfying. Instead of wasting around 10 hours I only invested a little over three and got the full flavor.

Season 2 not recommended, I would say watch How the Universe Works on science channel instead. Real ass astronomy is freaking amazing. Plus you can catch a surprising number of hottie astrophysicists...

question: does me liking hot smart women make me shallow???????

you decide
http://www.teninsider.com/top-10-hottest-female-scientists-in-the-world/#Top_10_Hottest_Female_Scientists_in_the_World

Counterpart is slow, as any good espionage show should be, or movie. They did a great job on character development, and a superb job on explaining the parallel situations without FULLY explaining basically....anything! In the first series I was really ready for them to just stop introducing new characters and letting us see both worlds, and what exactly happened. It appears we are going to get some answers, well, actually we already have, but I'm sure more are to come. If this genre is of any interest at all to you, it defines the meaning of "must view".

Back
Top Bottom