UFO2: Extraterrestrials - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Kordanor spotted that UFO 2 Extraterrestrials: Battle for Mercury will be released today:

UFO 2 Extraterrestrials: Battle for Mercury

• A fully 3D game combining real-time global strategy & air combat with turn-based tactical missions
  • A turn-based 'I-Go-You-Go' tactical squad-based game system
  • Interactive environments with destructible terrain
  • A large number of technologies, weapons, and combat units to develop
  • A large number of aliens to interrogate
  • Strong RPG elements where soldiers' stats improve with experience
  • Dynamic lighting for intense fire-fights
  • Final Gameplay design and balance tweaks by the author of the popular original UFO: ET Bman Ease of Use Mod
More information.

Bookmarked! Will be watching the Steam reviews.

Last edited:
Is there an "UFO1" game? Honest question.

Last edited:
Every alien base/ship in an X-com game must have:
- rooms either dimly lit or with purple, fluorescent neon tubes,
- chambers with eggs because aliens are usually cross of humans/insectoids,
- weird giant mushrooms

I was about to post about this game looking interesting, then saw the £28 Price tag. Whatever these guys are smoking, it must be fabulous.

I was about to post about this game looking interesting, then saw the £28 Price tag. Whatever these guys are smoking, it must be fabulous.

Soon to be 50% off.

Honestly, the video looks terrible. The explosion has problems with the tiles and stuff. Might still be interesting gameplay-wise, but not for 30$.

It's $34.99 actually.

or 30€, yeah, its a bit more on the pricey side.

I think I will have a look at it at some point, but I am still busy with Phoenix Point and playing two of this games at the same time is probably a bad idea.

Guess when I am finished with Phoenix Point, the price will also be reduced. I also don't think that 30€ is a good price mid to long term. Short term it might be a good choice if still enough hardcore fans buy it. Also might influence reviews the one or other way. (more critical because you pay more money, or less critical in numbers because less "casuals" are playing it)

Last edited:
I'm not quite understanding the outrage.

It's obviously not a AAA title, but the price reflects that. For something like this, I think $35 seems about right.

It's weird to me how the whole XCom concept seems to be basically public domain, with a whole bunch of extremely similar iterations. There's a lot of other franchises that if a company did the same thing, making a smaller game that follows its blueprint, they'd get the pants sued off.

Couldn't resist.
Unplayable mess.
For a 10+ year old game I expected font size to be bigger. :)
Geoscape UFO chase is the best looking feature of the game.
Skyranger starts easily as well, no soldier reconfig needed. On site there is a strange interceptor-looking floating tank or drone, controllable as the soldiers. Weird..
Soldier animation is very basic and annoying looking. Same with aliens.
UI couldn't recognize my digipen, had to switch it to mouse mode.
Combat plays bad.
Unit selection sound apparently was stolen from XCOM, or very closely re-generated.
Uninstall is a BAT file, which is badly written, looks for admin rights for some reason.
Refunded.
Bookmark deleted.

It's obviously not a AAA title, but the price reflects that. For something like this, I think $35 seems about right.
Troubleshooter spoiled us, asking $25 for such a big game.

Actually, with GOG's sale going on, plenty of games that are AAA can be bought for cheaper than this one.

I'm not quite understanding the outrage.

Yeah, common wisdom seems to peg any non-AAA title at $15 maximum. Some people even complain about that.

It's weird to me how the whole XCom concept seems to be basically public domain, with a whole bunch of extremely similar iterations. There's a lot of other franchises that if a company did the same thing, making a smaller game that follows its blueprint, they'd get the pants sued off.

Uh right, good thing Fallout and Diablo are properly copyrighted!

Back
Top Bottom