Tainted Grail: Conquest - Review @ TSA - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Tainted Grail: Conquest - Review @ TSA

Default Tainted Grail: Conquest - Review @ TSA

June 2nd, 2021, 20:47
TSA checked out Tainted Grail: Conquest:

Tainted Grail: Conquest Review

Slay the D&D.

Stop me if you've heard this one before, but Tainted Grail: Conquest is a roguelike RPG with deck-building and turn-based combat. It doesn't feel like it was that long ago that this was a legitimately peculiar concept, but we've been inundated with this particular genre mashup in the last few years.

However, while Tainted Grail certainly draws comparisons to others in this increasingly competitive subgenre, it actually adds in a few bits that make it stands out.

[…]

Summary
Any game so good that you can't resist doing just one more battle in is a game well worth paying attention to, and Tainted Grail definitely manages that.

Good
  • Beautiful world
  • Actual storytelling
  • Multiple layers of customisation and replayablity
Bad
  • A bit hard for some
Score: 9/10
More information.
Last edited by HiddenX; June 3rd, 2021 at 09:01.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)

June 3rd, 2021, 01:32
I picked this up, the graphics, super grimdark King Arthur related setting and game mechanics all spoke to me and said "Buy me. Play me. Love me."
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.

FurtiveNyctophile

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 3rd, 2021, 15:04
Having finished Solasta, I picked this up. Pretty good and fun game. It has a surprisingly good character creation, nothing to deep with a plethora of options, but the few options it has are pretty good, like, heaps above what Solast offers, for example.

the gameplay is fun, there are an absurd number of different classes and gameplay options to try and even the graphics are pretty nice.

Excellent pickup for just 13 if I may say so.

Nereida

Mentioned: Post(s)

June 3rd, 2021, 21:25
I love the art style of this game. I was about to buy it before I noticed it has some kind of deck-building element to it?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

June 3rd, 2021, 21:40
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I love the art style of this game. I was about to buy it before I noticed it has some kind of deck-building element to it?
Yes, it progresses much as Slay the Spire, mechanically. You don't get bombed with new cards and abilities after every encounter as you do in most Deck-building roguelikes, so that means you can predict more easily what abilities you will get to use, but that is still the bread and butter of your combat capacity.

As I mentioned earlier, there is I think 9 different classes, all with unique combat mechanics, abilities, passive skills and level up perks. With the element of randomisation native to roguelikes, it projects a very long lifetime, provided it is a game you can get into.

Nereida

Mentioned: Post(s)

June 3rd, 2021, 21:48
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
Yes, it progresses much as Slay the Spire, mechanically. You don't get bombed with new cards and abilities after every encounter as you do in most Deck-building roguelikes, so that means you can predict more easily what abilities you will get to use, but that is still the bread and butter of your combat capacity.

As I mentioned earlier, there is I think 9 different classes, all with unique combat mechanics, abilities, passive skills and level up perks. With the element of randomisation native to roguelikes, it projects a very long lifetime, provided it is a game you can get into.
Thanks for the explanation. I remember seeing it previewed here before, but I somehow missed the deck-building part. Unfortunately, I'm not into that. I wish this was just a straight RPG because I really like the visual style and monster design here.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 3rd, 2021, 23:45
I bought this today….interesting and very tough to start….I die, a lot.

Basically the cards are like skills that you select to play that rotate in at the start of every turn.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

June 4th, 2021, 23:11
This is a cool game. Great art, great storytelling, and a sense of progression more like Hades than Slay the Spire (given that Slay the Spire has zero story/lore). I would base trying it more on how much you get on with rogue-lites than with how much you like card games. Functionally, it's just like any rogue-lite where you get different abilities as you progress and then lose most of them when you start a new run. The fact that they're cards is kinda immaterial. But there do seem to be a lot of different abilities and interesting synergies between them.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

June 5th, 2021, 01:47
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I remember seeing it previewed here before, but I somehow missed the deck-building part. Unfortunately, I'm not into that. I wish this was just a straight RPG because I really like the visual style and monster design here.
There's a follow-up RPG planned based in the same world. It's called Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon.
It's due to be released this year.

It may also have been the game you had seen previously.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

June 5th, 2021, 02:26
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
There's a follow-up RPG planned based in the same world. It's called Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon.
It's due to be released this year.

It may also have been the game you had seen previously.
Indeed. I didn't realize there were two different games, and I think you may be correct that that is the one I was thinking of.

The fall of Avalon seems like more of a typical RPG, but it apparently still has deck-building as well.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Tainted Grail: Conquest - Review @ TSA