Jedi: Fallen Order - Impressions

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
So I've just tried it for ~1 hour.

Seems to be like a Star Wars themed Tomb Raider.
Visuals are great (GTX 1080 Ti on 1440p).
Too early too say anything else.

I’ll hopefully get a chance to play this this weekend. It’s included in my EA premier subscription. It’s been worth every penny.

Well, scores seems to be rather high. Also user score is 8.1 at metacritic. Which doesnt meen its not shit, but its certainly positive indication. If I have time, will try it today or latest tomorrow morning. I just hope the story is not complete lobotomy for once.

I played for about 3 hours and it seems like combination of Dark Souls, Tomb Raider and a good story based game. Overall nothing new so far but packaged very well by picking good elements of other games. Think of how Horizon Zero Dawn was packed well.

Combat - Dark Souls

The combat system is Dark Souls. You have the standard attacks, parry, dodge, roll and block blaster fire with lightsaber etc. The combat and movements are very responsive. And it makes you feel like a proper Jedi when you block with blaster fire with lightsaber! They add force power to the mix as well but I have only tried 2 of them so far as you unlock them as you level up.

Unlike Dark Souls you have 4 difficulty levels and I was playing at the 3rd highest difficulty and I thought it was still not hard as DS but I have not fought any bosses yet. So far I have fought what seems like basic mobs and elite mobs (they get big HP bar showing up at the top of screen). The elites did proved to a challenge but none of them actually killed me yet.

If you die you will loose the exp but if you go back and hit the monster, you get your xp back. You also have bonfires around the map at which you can rest heal up and spend your skill point but mobs in the area will respawn. You also get DS style Estus Flask which you can use to heal yourself.

Overall very pleased with combat.

Exploration - Dark Souls/Tomb Raider/Zelda

I am only at the first plant after starting tutorial. But it looks very nice and its maze. There are lot of caves, tunnels and multiple levels so they have used vertically very well. Its also like mini island and connect in multiple ways. You can unlock shortcuts as well. There are also puzzle which are very simple so far but you need to use force power to solve them. Exploration is rewards with hidden chest all over the place. I can see couple of chest but I still not have figured out how to get to etc.

Here is also the annoying bit. You can climb but only at places where the game think you should. These places are not very obvious but I am beginning to spot them. If they want to jump and climb, I think they should have gone the whole way and did something like Assassin Creed.

Loot
You can customise your lightsaber and you also get armour drops. You also get droid side companion and it seems you can customises that as well. However not done much of it yet and I am also not sure if there are any stats or just cosmetic.

Story - ???
I have not seen much of the story so far but it does of feel SW for now. You are playing a set character and so far he seems fine and not whine little brat! It looks like they want to tell his backstory via flashback.

Performance
Playing at max setting at 3440×1440 with 1080ti and i5 4670k. Low FPS is around 40s, average around 50/60 and high around 75. This game doesn't always max out the CPU nor the GPU but GPU is mostly around 95%+. I still need to tinker with the setting but it can only get better so very impressed with how well its running at all max.

There seems to some micro stutter when the game moves between in engine rendered cut scenes and game world.

I wasn't actually planing to play this game at all so not looked into it much so was going in pretty blind. The reason why I started to play was that it seems like bargain at £15 for the month!

Seems to be like a Star Wars themed Tomb Raider.
Lara can't go platforming vertically with superpowers, she needs to use arrows or ropes for that.

Also, the boy has no Lara classic boobs nor Lara reboot butt. :p
Okay okay that sounds sexist, the boy is cute of a sort, but his Frostbite(TM) hair is worse than RDR2 hair while Lara has a beautiful alive "ponytail".

I played for about 3 hours and it seems like combination of Dark Souls, Tomb Raider and a good story based game. Overall nothing new so far but packaged very well by picking good elements of other games. Think of how Horizon Zero Dawn was packed well.
DS… Could be.
HZD… Cmon, it's not. Aloy also has spectacular hair and can't platform vertically (walk over walls or ceiling) with superpowers.

Thanks for the impressions, that does sound like it is worth a look.

Sadly, the combat impression, and I have to believe it's so as early videos did suggest such possibility, killed the game for me.

Also thanks because without that info... I'd buy something I don't want on my PC.

HZD… Cmon, it's not. Aloy also has spectacular hair and can't platform vertically (walk over walls or ceiling) with superpowers.

Its not HZD. I only used it as an example of well put together package.

Sadly, the combat impression, and I have to believe it's so as early videos did suggest such possibility, killed the game for me.

Also thanks because without that info… I'd buy something I don't want on my PC.

The combat itself is very solid. I take it you have issues with re pops?

Thanks for impressions. Now Im quite hyped to play it later tonight.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...n-shallow-storytelling-and-technical-problems
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order review - solid combat mired in shallow storytelling and technical problems

Mediochlorians.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order initially delivers well-paced combat and unique environments, but unravels into a tedious and repetitive slog.
https://www.vg247.com/2019/11/15/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-review-scores-round-up/
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order reviews round-up, all the scores

Eurogamer – No score
USgamer – 3.5/5
IGN – 9
Gamespot – 8
Game Informer – 8.75
Guardian – 4/5
Gamesradar – 4/5
Gamesbeat – 93/100
Stevivor – 9
COGconnected – 90/100
Hobby Consolas [Spanish] – 90/100
Spaziogames [Italian] – 8.8
Easy Allies [Video] – 9

Seems that only eurogamer yells mediocrity, USGamer says slightly above average, all others adore the game.

Looks really good this. Looking forward to playing it.

So do I understand this correctly? If I want to meditate/save all enemies in the area respawn?

Back
Top Bottom