Might is Right - Early Access coming soon

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The strategy RPG Might is Right will be released as Early Access version on December 14:

Might is Right

Might is Right is an old-school turn-based strategy game, it has simple controls and deep complex mechanics. In Might is Right, you control a squad of up to 6 characters, including your hero, and you fight your way across a large world.
Each character gains experience in combat and can gain new levels. At each level, you get a talent point to spend. Every character has its own talent tree with options that offer very distinct play-styles; from glass-cannon mages, to tanking healers.

The game features two familiar modes that you switch between:

Adventure mode
Here your squad can move freely across the map, collect treasures, visit settlements, and do quests.

Combat mode
When you engage an enemy squad in adventure mode, you enter combat. In combat, you fight the enemy until you win… or lose. If things get too tough, you can always run away.

Game Features
  • complex talent trees for each character with 150+ unique talents
  • consumable items
  • state-of-the art AI, able to adapt to any situation
  • randomly generated enemy encounters
  • turn-based tactical combat
  • contextual tutorial, information is presented as you progress
  • achievements
  • quests; the world is full of individuals who need your help, discover them and earn useful rewards
Talents
Each character gains experience in combat and can gain new levels. At each level, you get a talent point to spend. Every character has its own talent tree with options that offer very distinct play-styles; from glass-canon mages, to tanking healers.

Challenge
The game features state-of-the art AI that will punish you for your mistakes. This, together with careful hand-tuning of the world, guarantees that you will have a challenge. Might is Right is non-linear, so if it gets too hard or too easy, you can always take a different road.
More information.

Last edited:
So many strategy and tactical RPGs getting released nowadays. Like the old saying goes they are like a dime a dozen nowadays on Steam, and most are not even successful.

Actually... Most are not fun.

When I see random generator mentioned as a major game feature, I erase the title from my brain.

I understand from a dev point of view randomly generated stuff is more comfortable to deal with, since you just set some rules and parameters and the game will do it all on its own, but I feel they are very mistaken in thinking that it's what players want. Players want hand-crafted worlds and hand-placed loot, at least in RPG, single player environments.

There was a time I'd never have believed there could be so many TBS games - and would have killed for that to come true. Now that's here and I'm not so certain it's all good. Just too many are souless ... randomly generated, rogue-whatever ... so many fundamentally the same.

Good strategy games need more than just a ruleset. Things need to be crafted and designed... levels, loot, narrative, characters, etc. Too many games aren't doing that anymore.

"Might Is Right" sounds to me like a military game - Company Of Heroes or something like that. Target group : People who want to do power play.

The random factor is why I didn't support this kick starter project, and likely won't pick it up later unless I hear fantastic raves about it after release. Five to ten years ago I was a huge proponent of rogue-type games, but they've staled for me, I've so many products I can play these days that I'm no longer so desperate.

The random factor is why I didn't support this kick starter project, and likely won't pick it up later unless I hear fantastic raves about it after release. Five to ten years ago I was a huge proponent of rogue-type games, but they've staled for me, I've so many products I can play these days that I'm no longer so desperate.

I have played a few good roguelike games, but any really good roguelike has as much content as any handcrafted game does. The problem with most roguelike games is that they do not. The developers think that random maps and levels will somehow create a feeling of freshness, but its no substitute for real content. In most of these games, you've seen 75% of the content by the 5 hour mark and it just gets more and more repetitive as you continue. I just get bored with games like that.

I kind of look at random encounters like I do with using them in a D&D game - "random encounter tables" used to be quite common, especially in older versions of the game. You'd have your, say, "Random swamp encounter" table and it would be something like 20 different encounters that fit in and made sense within the context of a swamp setting. I don't mind that so much, if there's a table for "forest critters" and it makes sense, fine - though random encounters shouldn't be a replacement for set encounters, either. In D&D terms, random encounters are often used when traveling or "resting" in a dangerous location, etc., to give a sense of - well - randomness to events, meaning that it *might* be safe to rest in a particular location and it might not.

Random maps and levels I get much less excited about; it seems lazy to me somehow in a roleplaying game but I think procedurally generated maps are fine for some strategy games, like, for example, Civilization 6. It depends on if the game is trying to tell a story or if it's trying to create a set of tools and parameters for me to set up my own story. I'd say The Outer Worlds is a game that was out recently that does a great job of just telling a story, whereas a game like Age of Wonders: Planetfall, beyond the scenarios and campaigns, is a fun toolbox that lets you set up random worlds to play in.

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
The description reads like one of those "a bot read 1,000 pages of RPG game descriptions and wrote this one" jokes. I don't detect one single whiff of creativity or inspiration here, right on up to the terrible title.

GUI versus Might is Right
FIGHT!!!
FATALITY!!!
GUI WINS!!
GUI completely vanquished this forgettable attempt.

Back
Top Bottom