How bad is Lionheart?

Drithius

Magic & Loss
I bought Lionheart when it was originally released and never got around to playing it... from all the screenshots I see, the UI makes me reminisce about a variety of Infinity games.

Just how bad is this game to receive all those negative reviews back then? Are there any community patches akin to what arcanum and gothic 3 have?

The first 40% or so of the game is an ok RPG. Once you leave Barcelona the game pretty much turn into a sluggish Diablo clone. Even if the two halves were top notch they are disjointed, and pretty much turn off whoever appreciates the other half:p

I actually had quite a bit of fun playing it in coop with my girlfriend, but I wouldnt want to slog through the endgame alone.

You could always give Barcelona and surrounding areas a go if you dont have anything else to play.

Last edited:
No community patches from what I know, and Zaleukos sums up my feelings about the game too. First bit feels very much like you can expect from an infinity game, second half feels like a poor diablo clone.

Aye, the Barcelona part shows what a great game it could've been. The rest is nowhere near the same quality.

With the very last parts almost unplayable. Barcelona is fun though.

I just had the thought - please don't take it too seriously ;) - that one could see it the other way round :

"First, you have to make it somehow through this overly complex and really tiresome game until after Barcelona. Then the fun begins". From the (imaginary) point of view of an Action-RPG player.

I just had the thought - please don't take it too seriously ;) - that one could see it the other way round :

"First, you have to make it somehow through this overly complex and really tiresome game until after Barcelona. Then the fun begins". From the (imaginary) point of view of an Action-RPG player.

That's what I meant. The game is like a half full cup of tea that has been topped up with coffee, and unlikely to satisfy fans of either brew:D

Very nice picture ! :D
Thanks ! ;)

I just tried to install this yesterday from CD's and it just didn't work right for me. The UI refused to center with the rest of the graphics, instead hovering in the top righthand corner of my screen while the rest of the games UI was centered.

I hear the gog.com version works in Win7 but since I already own the game I'm not going to buy it again.

I've always wondered why no fanpatches for this exist. Even crappy IWD has been modded out its ass. This game was last minute rushed out to retail, I'm betting a ton of nearly complete content is sitting in the datafiles just waiting to be linked.

It's possible that it's just not really mod friendly. The other one is that it's not popular enough for someone to bother make mods for Lionheart.

I've always wondered why no fanpatches for this exist. Even crappy IWD has been modded out its ass. This game was last minute rushed out to retail, I'm betting a ton of nearly complete content is sitting in the datafiles just waiting to be linked.

No one wants to mod it because it sucked beyond belief. I normally give games a break as long as they are fun, but this pile of poo had all kinds of potential and failed horribly. I mean COME ON!!!! You had all this rich material to work with and what did you do with it?? ALMOST NOTHING.

I love this invertiew with the developers. They did fairly well at doing what they said they'd do in the beginning. Still that had problems as well. But, once you leave the city all bets are off. The game becomes one gigantic turd nugget with an extra helping of being bitch slapped to the face.

No, I don't think any self-respecting moddor out there would want to even attempt this because who would play it? One or two guys maybe?

For me Lionheart has been glued up on the wall in my "Hall of Shame Section" There's not too many up three right now. There Lionheart, Mistmare, and a few others.

Even if someone did what the publisher for Gothic 3 did and somehow got one of two fans out there (or some really bored modders, to take this on and fix the second half of the world. There still wouldn't be very many people out there who would want to try it. I wouldn't.

As for your little 'crappy' statement about IWD well to each their own I guess, but that game was a ton of fun for what it was. It didn't try to be anything other than a dungeon hack that you could play with your friends. Since it stuck to that it ended up being a lot of fun.

IWD shared engine with extremely popular BG, that kinda helped as well.:p

I certainly consider IWD a great game, but Lionheart? Not even close.

IWD shared engine with extremely popular BG, that kinda helped as well.:p
Wasn't Lionheart also an Infinity game?

Anyway to get a modding community, a game must at least attract some people (namely those who invest the time to mod). Lionheart obviously didn't attract anybody at all.

No it used Reflexive's own engine.

No not really, they have re-used the game engine they also used for Star Trek: Away Team and Zax: The Alien Hunter.
Had to add the 3D models and SPECIAL to the engine though.

No not really, they have re-used the game engine they also used for Star Trek: Away Team and Zax: The Alien Hunter.
Had to add the 3D models and SPECIAL to the engine though.

Ok so they wasted their engine on three games. :lol:

I loved the Barcelona music, I used it as background music when we played PnP.

Back
Top Bottom