The Witcher 2 - Roundup #7, Solutions to Issues

I too was unable to get the troll DLC which is annoying but hopefully fixed by next weekend though its unclear to me of GoG owners get it though I think we do. Another case where the pirates get the good stuff and the early paying customers get screwed. I've had a number of crashes usually while reloading after death so not really losing anything. I've noticed that the game is taking up to 1.7 GB and starts to stutter after a while probably related.

Overall though its about what I expected and am finding it fun so far despite the problems. The animations are generally fluid and I like watching Geralt in combat. Anyone waiting for 6 months before jumping in should get a good game to play.

I too was unable to get the troll DLC which is annoying but hopefully fixed by next weekend though its unclear to me of GoG owners get it though I think we do.

Yes, if you purchased a GoG copy you get the Troll DLC for free.

Not sure why so many people are having issues with it now. I downloaded from GoG and installed it as soon as TW2 was released. I wonder if they had a server crash and are still recovering from it?

@DAtagnan- Welcome to The Witcher fanclub. ;)

@Jabberwocky- Sorry to hear about your experience so far, but the majority of people aren't having those issues. Trying to compare it to Gothic 3 is ridiculous.

Then that makes you the second person that totally didn't even get what I was saying. I outlined the comparisons in two posts. There are similarities in marketing, in expectations, in development, and bugs upon release. Apparently the only part of that whole argument that people can see is "bugs upon release." Maybe the bugs aren't being experienced as widespread with TW2 as they were in Gothic, but just because you aren't experiencing them doesn't make them less significant for those who are. My final point of comparison was the fact that both developers created their own game engine. Therefore, I was saying IF.. IF CDProjekt couldn't get their own game engine patched up, then it would be like the Gothic 3 debacle.

I have no statistical numbers on how many people are having problems. But don't you think there must be quite a few, considering there are multiple sites reporting the exact same issues with installing from a CD? That the developer has apologized for the fact that so many are having issues with playing?

I'm shelving TW2 for now and anxiously awaiting a patch that will allow me to play the game with decent frame rates and in 3D, as was advertised I would be able to do. I'm glad those who don't game in 3D are not having problems. But for those of us who do game in 3D, having the developer say it doesn't work now is not acceptable. And maybe it's Nvidia's fault, who knows? But at any rate, it's like buying a kid the bicycle of his dreams, and then telling him he can only ride it in the driveway. It tends to make the kid disappointed and upset, know what I mean? \rant.

Yes, if you purchased a GoG copy you get the Troll DLC for free.
Thats my impression but I didn't get a promo code to enter from either gog or TW website. The download link works from the launcher but then again it doesn't as it just downloads repeatedly. The FAQ in the original post indicates they are having server issues with it and something to do with some CRC check that is handled incorrectly. They say to try again after the next patch so thats what I'll try. Plenty of game to play with in the meantime.

Other than not being able to get the dlc no game breaking bugs and no crashes for me.

My main thing is the unresponsive combat. pushing buttons and nothing happening. I know i've mentioned it before but i'm wondering is everyone getting this or is it specific to my system.

Yes I think I've had the game ignore my keyboard inputs often enough for me to recognize when it happens. I have to dodge away when it does. Hopefully a patch will fix it. Not game-breaking for me, but a little annoying.

Yes I think I've had the game ignore my keyboard inputs often enough for me to recognize when it happens. I have to dodge away when it does. Hopefully a patch will fix it. Not game-breaking for me, but a little annoying.

Thanks for the reply I'm glad it's not just me. It happens for me on the second action in a string. if I roll then attack i'll have to hit attack twice if I attack then roll i'll have to hit roll 4 times to get it to work.

Hopefully this will be addressed in the patch surprised it wasn't caught earlier. I've not heard any reviewers mention it although I haven't read many for fear of spoilers.

Then that makes you the second person that totally didn't even get what I was saying. I outlined the comparisons in two posts. There are similarities in marketing, in expectations, in development, and bugs upon release. Apparently the only part of that whole argument that people can see is "bugs upon release." Maybe the bugs aren't being experienced as widespread with TW2 as they were in Gothic, but just because you aren't experiencing them doesn't make them less significant for those who are. My final point of comparison was the fact that both developers created their own game engine. Therefore, I was saying IF.. IF CDProjekt couldn't get their own game engine patched up, then it would be like the Gothic 3 debacle.

I get what you're saying. You're disappointed in the experience you're having, and that's totally understandable. Nobody is trying to downplay the significance of the bugs for the people who are experiencing them, but some people are trying to exaggerate the situation.

Almost every new game is going to have some issues at release, especially a game as complex as TW2. I can't comment specifically about the retail version because I purchased my copy from GoG, but given CD Projekt's past history of post-release support, I think people should be confident about the upcoming patch.

Thanks for the reply I'm glad it's not just me. It happens for me on the second action in a string. if I roll then attack i'll have to hit attack twice if I attack then roll i'll have to hit roll 4 times to get it to work.

Hopefully this will be addressed in the patch surprised it wasn't caught earlier. I've not heard any reviewers mention it although I haven't read many for fear of spoilers.

I don't think I have encountered this, but if there really is a system specific bug of this kind, it would partly explain why the assessment of the "responsivness" of the combat system varies so widely among gamers.

I finally got my copy today, and just got to the start of chapter 1. No crashes, glitches, bugs or anything wrong so far. Really enjoying it.

Troll trouble didn't work for me. It kept trying connect to the site after the download finished but failed and started the download again. Patch should fix that so it's no big deal.

Sad to hear about people having trouble with it, but with computers the way they are, and everyone running all sorts of different parts and configurations it's hardly surprising. Sad though because it really is fun.

I, too, have had the game ignore my input - and especially during combat. It hasn't been a big enough issue for me to really be bothered by it, but I have noticed it.

I figure it has to do with the complex animation interplay, and how it's not possible to make the game respond correctly at all times - because it would completely mess up the flow of the animations.

Just a guess, but I've played so many games with this kind of issue - that I've probably gotten used to it.

I can see how it can be annoying, though.

You should really give TW1 another chance after you finish TW2. With the exception of combat, everything in the first game is pretty much on par.

Or dare I say it, better?

*hides*

full user review coming in several days

How do you not get the comparison? Gothic 3 was also a complex and complete game (for its time). The expectation for both games was off the charts. Gothic 3 was supposed to be RPG of the year, as is TW2. The developers of both games made grandiose promises. Both developers created their own graphics engine.

And I'm sorry, but TW2 is very buggy. Maybe not the typical bugs that show up, but buggy nonetheless. Heck, it was two trips to the retailer, and three days scouring forums for a workaround just to get the game to install. That's not buggy? The fact that loads of people with high end systems are having significant performance problems isn't buggy? Gamers were told they would be able to play in glorious 3D, and now they are telling them to completely uninstall their 3D drivers, thus rendering their system incapable of playing other 3D games, and you're saying that's not buggy?

Like I said, if CDProjekt can't patch their game to get rid of the performance issues, then the comparison with Gothic 3 is spot on. If they can patch it, then everything's great and I'll gladly get on the GOTY bandwagon again.

It seems like a fantastic game. I am blown away by the cinematic presentation. It truly feels epic, just as the developers claimed. But when people spend hundreds of dollars on systems designed to run games like this, and then it takes them days just to get the game running, and then they still can't get past the prologue because the performance is so bad, I'd say the frustrations vented on these forums is appropriate.

It's not all that buggy. I've played now well into the first chapter without a single crash, broken quest or any performance issue.

I don't think the game is perfect by any means btw. I don't care much for the view. the voice acting is ok but not great by any means, and a lot is lost in the English translation, and I along with other people I think they definitely structured the game the way they did in order to port it easily to console systems which kind of pisses me off since the indication has always been it's a game made for computer gamers.

It is a good and complete game though, and your main complaint is that the 3D isn't working. It's still new technology and effects a small amount of people. If your gonna play with cutting edge technology you should expect more problems that take longer to fix.

...True, but this is the only game I've purchased that has had trouble. And there are people having trouble who aren't trying to run in 3D. They are using Nvidia video cards. The drivers download for Nvidia cards includes 3D vision drivers, whether you have the hardware or not. CDProjeckt says that it's those drivers which are creating the issue. So unless someone chose to custom install their drivers, they will potentially have problems. The one good thing about it is those drivers can be uninstalled. For those that do run 3D, it's not an acceptable workaround, because we have other games that run 3D perfectly fine and don't want to cripple the gameplay on those titles.

Your Gothic3 comparison still seems exaggerated though. Of what I understand Gothic3 was a mess throughout while in this case it seems that people don't get any noteworthy bugs after they get the game to run. Besides the biggest issue of all was that there was no attempt to improve improve it by the people who made it while in this case previous signs given by CDProject allow us to be optimistic. (By the way... fun fact: I didn't have any trouble at all getting Gothic 3 to run unpatched)

---

Also, I have no doubt that these bugs can be traced to software other than the game itself. It might be the NVidia drivers or the antivirus or the printer or whatever. Still the fact that I never had any other game giving me so much trouble leads me to think that there is something that it does wrong that all the others do right.

Actually the game reminds me a bit of Gothic 3 - but only in the combat, game setting and world lushness/exploration aspect.

I didn't have a problem running Gothic 3 on my old computers, and I don't have a problem running TW2 on my new one. Both have performed perfectly well for me. I guess I'm lucky in having compatible hardware/software, though I seem to be lucky in that respect quite a lot.

Me too, kalniel. I've used the same types of hardware for over a decade. I have a Intel board, a nvidia graphics card, and a soundblaster sound card. Why? I'm used to tweaking those three items to get the best results. Familiarity breeds content.

I find The Witcher 2 to be a modern Ultima 8. It's an action game with several rpg trappings. Since there aren't 7 other Witcher games, the outcry over the action-y changes aren't as loud as they were for Pagan. The biggest difference between TW1 and 2 is that user skill is much more heavily required in the 2nd game. You must have good eyesight to see those little dull-orange flashes that tell you what buttons to press.

Anybody know if there is a way to increase the size or change the color of those stupid things? Why didn't they use bright white instead of dull-orange? I found the battle with the creature near the end of chapter one nearly impossible, because I have a hell of a time seeing that dull orange indicator. This game is just a little bit TOO action-y to become a favorite for me. It's fun, but I prefer combat to be more about character design, than human skill.

Holy crap. I go out on business, and I come home to find The Witcher 2 has been released. I've never bullshitted and pretended to be tech savvy, but I have read The Witcher 2's system reqs. Does anyone foresee issues running it on my comp? (stats below)

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
2.0 GB Windows XP
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
GeForce GTX 260

I guess the problem I notice initially is I have a single core. What do you think? Worth risking the money to purchase?

Holy crap. I go out on business, and I come home to find The Witcher 2 has been released. I've never bullshitted and pretended to be tech savvy, but I have read The Witcher 2's system reqs. Does anyone foresee issues running it on my comp? (stats below)

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
2.0 GB Windows XP
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
GeForce GTX 260

I guess the problem I notice initially is I have a single core. What do you think? Worth risking the money to purchase?

It's supposed to be pretty CPU dependent. If you ask me, a big part of the appeal of the game is how absolutely beautiful it is. Playing it on lowest settings, which I imagine you'd have to do to get it running - would be a big mistake.

That's just me, though.

Back
Top Bottom