What games are you playing now?

I found TFU well below Jedi Academy and even Republic Commando ...

Interestingly ... this came in today:

Due to be released in retail stores this holiday season for PC, Mac, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, Star Wars The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition combines the original Star Wars: The Force Unleashed videogame and three new levels to create the definitive ultimate-evil storyline of the events that occurred between the two classic Star Wars movie trilogies

The additional content includes two levels set on Coruscant and Tatooine previously only available via direct download, and an all-new exclusive level available only in the Ultimate Sith Edition package.

The exclusive level concludes the “Infinities” storyline set up in the Tatooine mission, as the Secret Apprentice is sent to the planet Hoth on a crusade to crush the Rebellion once and for all. While on Hoth, players face Luke Skywalker himself while visiting iconic locations seen in Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back.

Well I enjoyed Jedi Academy, but Republic Commando was a consolized piece of crap imo.

Oh how true. I despised it too. I tried it some years after its release. And it felt cheap, looked awful and suffered from way too much consolitis.

Interesting... so much for being "console exclusive".
For some time now the words "console exclusive" just means "console exclusive" until we can't milk console-owners. anymore. Happens with more and more games. And I can't wait for it to happen to GoW2.

Well I enjoyed Jedi Academy, but Republic Commando was a consolized piece of crap imo.

Republic Commando was extremely short and didn't have much new to offer. It gave me a few hours of buttonmashing and that was it. Force Unleashed gave me the same feeling.

Having finished Force Unleashed, next up is Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.
It's one of the most celebrated games on PS3 and it's easy to tell why.

Uncharted is what you get if you take the game elements from Tomb Raider: Legends and Gears of War, with a story from classic adventure movie like Raiders of the Lost Ark or Romancing the Stone, and on top of that you do it well. The story really sucked me in, the gameplay is absolutely great, the game really looks amazing and the music score is just great as well. Im just a few levels into the game and I am really enjoying it so far.

Having finished Force Unleashed, next up is Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.
It's one of the most celebrated games on PS3 and it's easy to tell why.

Uncharted is what you get if you take the game elements from Tomb Raider: Legends and Gears of War, with a story from classic adventure movie like Raiders of the Lost Ark or Romancing the Stone, and on top of that you do it well. The story really sucked me in, the gameplay is absolutely great, the game really looks amazing and the music score is just great as well. Im just a few levels into the game and I am really enjoying it so far.

Here's a possible reason for that. Amy Henning is on their team. She was director/writer for the Legacy of Kain series. And she's director for Uncharted 1 & 2.

Been alternating between Dragon Quest VIII and Final Fantasy XII on a PS2 emulator. Huge pain in the ass to get either to work well but totally worth it. Been taking a break from CRPGs for the time being. Heresy, I know.

Been alternating between Dragon Quest VIII and Final Fantasy XII on a PS2 emulator. Huge pain in the ass to get either to work well but totally worth it. Been taking a break from CRPGs for the time being. Heresy, I know.

I have both of those games, but have never had time to play them other than trying them out. Why bother with a PS2 emulator? That system is very cheap now.

Yeah I bought the two of them when they came out but I never really got around to playing them for real. I think I only played through the first town in DQ8 in all this time. I ripped em to my drive as ISOs.

After finishing "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" I have returned to the third game I intended to finish this summer; Siren: Bloodcurse. This is a rather unique game. I know none like it. The game is divided into 12 "Episodes". The Episodes was initially available as downloadable content (still is) but I bought the Blue-Ray instead. Each episode begins with a recap of the previous episodes, contain a cutscene or two that progress the story and then there's a playable part. Theese parts tend to have a distinct feel to it, usually featuring different characters than the previous ones as well as new gameplay elements, making most episodes feel like a game on it's own.

The story is all set in an "abandoned" japanese town where an American TV-Team is trying to make a documentary. It all goes sour when the town turns out to be overfilled with it's previous inhabitants, only cursed in a way that made them into "shibitos" (some kind of zombies that continue to carry out their daily routine). The story is deepened by finding archive items that can be read. Many of these are photographs on real props, including live action videos. Even cooler, there's even a working website revealed by the characters Howard Wright's wallet.

At a first glance it's a survival horror game such as Silent Hill or Resident Evil, but Siren is focused on sneaking rather than killing. You can pick up weapons and smack something down with it, but whatever you smack down doesn't stay down for long, but is up walking again in a minute or so. Each episode is basically about figuring out how to do the mission, with the major obstacle being how to make it past the shibitos alive.

I have both of those games, but have never had time to play them other than trying them out. Why bother with a PS2 emulator? That system is very cheap now.

I would say two reasons. The first is the capacity to play the games in higher resolutions, antialiasing and better textureblending. The second is savestates so you can save anywhere.

I would say two reasons. The first is the capacity to play the games in higher resolutions, antialiasing and better textureblending. The second is savestates so you can save anywhere.

Except that PS2 emulation is far from perfected....

Except that PS2 emulation is far from perfected....

Some games have been optimized more than others, and FFXII happens to be one of them. It can be played from start to end with barely no glitches, as long as your computer is fast enough.

shorter loading time is not to forget.....

Speaking of LucasArts ... Secret of Monkey Island is now up for iPhone on the iTunes App Store.

Back
Top Bottom