NWN2 - Bebrief @ Bitmob

Dhruin

SasqWatch
This interview with Obsidian features Feargus Urguhart, George Ziets, Richard Taylor and more. Titled a Debrief, the conversation looks back on NWN2 and its expansions and the development:
Bitmob: Mask of the Betrayer's story drew a great deal of praise. What was different between the story development of the original campaign and the first expansion?

George Zeits: For one thing, MOTB was a lot shorter, and we had a much better sense of how much work we could actually get done in the time that we had. I wasn't at Obsidian during the initial story development for NWN2, but I think the game suffered a great deal from overambition -- the original storyline was massive, and a huge amount of material had to be cut from the final game. As a result, the final product was less polished and the storyline was messier than they should have been.

By the time we started MOTB, though, we were veterans. In fact, three of the four core content designers on MOTB -- Jeff Husges, Eric Fenstermaker, and me -- were NWN2's Act 2 team, and we'd all worked in the same office. I was able to write a story for MOTB that had a much more realistic scope, given our schedule and rate of content creation.

We still had to cut some content, but not so much that the core storyline had to be gutted or rewritten.

RT: In Mask of the Betrayer, we had a dedicated story writer on the team. He took ownership over the story and the major characters, taking care to write a lot of their dialogues and review the dialogues written by others to make sure that the characters were consistently portrayed.

On the original campaign, the responsibility for the overall story was just one of many responsibilities resting on the shoulders of the lead designer, which meant that it didn’t get as much focused attention as we were able to give it on Mask of the Betrayer. We were happy with [how] having a dedicated story designer worked out on Mask of the Betrayer.
More information.

Its seems like they have been overambitious with features and content.

Kotor2 had a very short development time. NWN2 must have been a huge undertaking. It is a single player storyline, toolset, multiplayer and having to rewrite the engine.

Also it appears the decision to make those two games was made early in the Obsidians history. I wonder with experience whether they will do things differently. Like a more accurate idea of what they can achieve with the time and skills that they have.

Also the type of games they make. Whether they are going to look at what genres are popular. Or try to be cutting edge in some area.

We will know soon enough with Alpha Protocol, eh?

I still love NWN2 ...

Back
Top Bottom