Baldur's Gate 3 - Interview @Metro - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Interview @Metro

Default Baldur's Gate 3 - Interview @Metro

July 2nd, 2019, 15:27
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Yeah… This interview doesn't appear to be new, seems it was done at E3 and for some reason this Metro site just got around to posting it, but it does sound like confirmation of TB combat to me. Can't blame Larian for wanting to "manage" the official announcement of TB combat, gonna be butthurt aplenty once it's known.
Yeah while D&D has turned based combat, and while the Gold Box games or Temple of Elemental Evil proved that you can make a great D&D game with turn based combat, Baldur's Gate did not have it. Nor have most attempted "spiritual successors" like P:KM or Pillars 1 & 2.
While I'd be really happy with TB combat, you can just feel the dissapointment if it doesn't end up with that. Heck, even on our open-minded forum there are some huge fans of RTWP combat who can't get into turn based combat.
On the other hand for me the execution of the combat style is more important than the style itself. I remember all the debate about Torment: Tides of Numenera. That game's combat was plain mediocre. Even if they made it RTWP it wouldn't have likely been much better.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

July 2nd, 2019, 16:06
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
the execution of the combat style
This.

If I can hit any of keys on my keyboard that's mapped to do something then click on target(s) which performs something in lightspeed, I'm gonna drool all over it.

If I have to use consoley retarded lists and atrocious menus because of mushrooms then watch a fireball flying for a minute before it hits something… Get off my property.

Not interested in torturing UI because of cheap plastic gadgetery responsible for spinal pain and degenerated entezophite at the back of people's skulls.

And this goes for TB, RT, RTwP or any other combat design. In other words, I don't care about combat. I care about UI.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)

July 2nd, 2019, 17:00
Thanks for posting this interview, lots of good information here. The more I see and read, the more I hope we get turn-based combat in this newest iteration of Baldur's Gate!!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

July 2nd, 2019, 18:31
Lets be honest. No matter what they deliver there will be a host of disappointed people.

No company can compete with nostalgia.

I wish them the best of luck and really of the companies out there at the moment, this one ranks near the top for ability to pull it off.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

July 3rd, 2019, 13:02
That's what we did in DOS2 because in DOS2 people come up with craziest ways of winning, unwinnable combat.
Weird comment. Probably farmed data. Streamers played it on highest difficulty (some without having played the first one) and breathed through it. And most of them are not even material to win their local store tabletop skirmish game tournament.

Maybe code to tell they will meet the expectations of players who expect to be successful whatever they do.

Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
…did DOS2 have combat with obvious XCOM influence? I certainly didn't think so. It was turn based and…no, that's pretty much it. No cover mechanics, no one move one action. Some annoying enemy spawns perhaps?
Maybe the RPG label is losing its lustre and is it is marketingly sounder to refer to it as XCOM like.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

July 3rd, 2019, 17:22
TB was original RPG combat system. If every TB game is now Xcom like and RPG is everything else.. this is world I don't want any part of.

Archangel

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:

July 3rd, 2019, 20:05
My all time favorite games (heavy with nostalgia of course) has always been the BG games. But if they make BG3 turn based I won't be getting it as I just can't stomach any more TB games.

Great interview though.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Interview @Metro