Last game you finished, tell us about it - Page 139 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Last game you finished, tell us about it

Default Last game you finished, tell us about it

August 2nd, 2018, 15:36
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Most people who are super negative on DA2 just wanted more Warden, mute protagonist and pseudo-turn based combat and got super pissed the game wasn't that. If that isn't your expectations, you reaction will probably be different.
I actually liked all of this about DA2. I didn't mind being warden I liked Hawke and all other companions, the story etc. I just didn't like the combat and I wasn't keen on the copy paste world. Having said that, I don't rate DA2 as bad game, its above average for me and I did complete it.

lostforever

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:

August 2nd, 2018, 15:39
Oops, seems I opened up a rift right here on the watch regarding DA2. It is (what I knew of) the story that spoke to me: no grand events, following a person (family as it turns out) over several years. Starting my run, the graphics first were really a thorn in my eye, they aged pretty badly. With the HD pack it is just bearable. Not sure if the combat is supposed to be tactical or just straight up action. Might be because I'm using the controller so I'm ramming the skills whenever they cooldown. Wish every game did potion and rune making like in DA2 though, just find an ingredient once and use it as many times as you like.

Regarding DAI, seems they really turned the story around there. Returning to saving the world mode. This piece of kataku describes nicely how I feel about DAI and openworld games:
https://kotaku.com/i-wish-dragon-age…ime-1677548813

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

August 2nd, 2018, 16:35
Did you play it? Your previous post suggested you didn't but perhaps you did ?

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Yeah, I'm sure the drastic change in art direction, the bland, repetitive level design, and the super repetitive combat didn't have anything to do with it.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

August 2nd, 2018, 17:18
Originally Posted by you View Post
Did you play it? Your previous post suggested you didn't but perhaps you did ?
The comment you quoted was about DA2. My previous post was about DA:I

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)

August 2nd, 2018, 18:36
This is what you said since you do not seem to remember:

I only play DA2 in nightmares. 
--
Since you are only sleeping when you play I asked if you actually played but it seems that you have no clue if you played or not which is quite amazing.

The comment you quoted was about DA2. My previous post was about DA:I

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 2nd, 2018, 23:11

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

August 4th, 2018, 12:49
I finished Antharion this morning.

Overall, I'd say it was "ok". It was decent for a small-budget title, but it really falls apart towards the end.

6.5/10

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

August 4th, 2018, 15:18
I finished Antharion this morning.

Overall, I'd say it was "ok". It was decent for a small-budget title, but it really falls apart towards the end.

6.5/10
Yub, I second that. Great start and then…becomes kinda "meh" closer to the end and was rather unsatisfying.
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Pathway
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

August 5th, 2018, 13:36
Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt

Positively superb storytelling and presentation - but underwhelming as a game, and especially as an open world CRPG.

Glad I experienced it, though.

7.5/10

Darth Tagnan

Mentioned: Post(s)

August 5th, 2018, 15:25
Make it an 8 and I won't hang you. Wait, you still have to play the expansions, by the time you finish you will give it a 9.

I agree that the pacing and combat could be better though. For me upping the difficulty would almost solve that completely. As an open world CRPG I think it is about the same as all the rest out there, some fetching and grinding to do.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 5th, 2018, 15:41
While I would give the base game a higher score than Darth; I really didn't care for blood and wine expansion and don't regard it highly. Not sure why it just didn't tickle my fancy. The first one I really liked.

Originally Posted by ilm View Post
Make it an 8 and I won't hang you. Wait, you still have to play the expansions, by the time you finish you will give it a 9.

I agree that the pacing and combat could be better though. For me upping the difficulty would almost solve that completely. As an open world CRPG I think it is about the same as all the rest out there, some fetching and grinding to do.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 5th, 2018, 16:41
Originally Posted by ilm View Post

If i have to play an expansion to like an RPG then I won't like the RPG, as I don't play expansions.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

August 5th, 2018, 17:33
Not going to bother with the expansions for now. As much as I loved the story in Wild Hunt - there's no way I can stomach more of the digital choose-your-own-adventure gameplay for a while

I really hated the last two boss fights. I think they took at least 10 minutes of roll-dodging and doing very low damage. Zero challenge, really. Just roll+hit over and over and over.

I might watch a YT version - or maybe I'll get back to it some day.

The only reason I rated it so highly is because it really was a tremendously well presented story - full of compelling characters and touching moments. Heck, I even thought the main plot was pretty strong.

As a game, it would be something like 6/10 on a very good day where I was feeling particularly kind.

In terms of being an open world CRPG - it's definitely one of the weakest I've played in the past couple of decades.

But it's obvious to me that people love it for the story - and they're either not really into open world games - or they're being very forgiving of its rather significant flaws.

I feel the same way about games like Bioshock Infinite and Last of Us. Both of those games had decent enough gameplay, but it's definitely the story that makes them winners in my book.

Darth Tagnan

+1:

August 5th, 2018, 19:14
IMO you should refund expansions. Nothing to see there for you.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)

August 5th, 2018, 19:16
Nah, it's ok. I like CDPR and I don't mind supporting them. Also, I used a Blood and Wine skill as I was playing.

Darth Tagnan

August 5th, 2018, 23:10
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
DA:O - 6/10
DA2 - 3/10
DA:I - 4/10
THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one who found DA:0 kind of average, I was hoping for a new Baldurs Gate but was highly disappointed. I probably rate it as the biggest disappointment in my gaming history, even against some really heavy offenders like FO3 (that I learned to like when the disappointment settled) and MOO3. I never bothered with DA2 or DAI since everyone said they were worse than the first game…and I only finished the first because I kept hoping it would get better, and the story was at least decent.

On Topic: Last finished game was Battletech. I had fun with it and it delivered what they promised, although I don't think it will make my top 3 for the year. Now on to PoE2.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

August 5th, 2018, 23:26
Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one who found DA:0 kind of average, I was hoping for a new Baldurs Gate but was highly disappointed. I probably rate it as the biggest disappointment in my gaming history, even against some really heavy offenders like FO3 (that I learned to like when the disappointment settled) and MOO3. I never bothered with DA2 or DAI since everyone said they were worse than the first game…and I only finished the first because I kept hoping it would get better, and the story was at least decent.
Well Dragon Age: Origins went through multiple redesigns during it's long development. At one point it looked like a cross between NeverWinter Nights & Baldur's Gate.

I still have an older PCGamer Magazine with the pictures and interview.

Seems when EA bought BioWare in 2007 more changes were done, and that made the game get delayed even longer. Still I would rate the game a 7.5/10 for me.
Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
On Topic: Last finished game was Battletech. I had fun with it and it delivered what they promised, although I don't think it will make my top 3 for the year.
I still have to finish Battletech but I remember reading it will have more DLC expansions, and content released. So I'm torn between waiting for more content, or finishing it now.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Check out my news Thread it's updated weekly.
Last edited by Couchpotato; August 5th, 2018 at 23:39.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

August 7th, 2018, 13:21
Divinity original Sin EE: This is kind of older now at least in terms of games released the past 60 days. I think most of you have heard of it so I'll just sum it up as a not too long tale told among imps.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 7th, 2018, 14:09
I finished Sonic Mania. I have nothing to say except I'm getting too old for this shit.
--
How nice for you to meet me.

Winterfart

Passenger

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

August 8th, 2018, 21:29
Funny, sonic maniac is on the wishlist of my 6 year old nephew, as is minecraft. I'm especially surprised about the latter one, isn't that much too complex for that age?

Finished Ghost 1.0. A typical metroidvania clone which I have a thing for. Shortly after starting out I found out it is from the same dev as Unepic which I *loved*. I don't think it is as good but still a quite enjoyable (and addicting!) intermezzo. The story, art and somewhat geeky humor definitely is the same as in Unepic. I hope to see more of this developer as I like the style his (or their, that is unclear) games.

Been browsing origin access again to see what is next. It always surprises me how much there is actually on there. The complete Ultima and Wing commander series for instance. I contemplated for a moment to do Ultima. I never played one and number 7 is the best one it seems. However, it looks too outdated for me.

- The Sexy brutale resonates a lot with me. Reminds me of the old adventure and puzzle games.
- Did anyone played Sundered? It has a very interesting premise, but the (metacritic) scores and reviews are a bit lackluster. Hmm, it has procedurally generated levels

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Tags
games, mini review
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Last game you finished, tell us about it