Cyberpunk 2077 - How it could be Better

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
CogConnected share their five pet peeves about Cyberpunk 2077.

2. Menu Mismanagement

Who would have thought navigating menus in a game would become a full-time job? In Cyberpunk 2077, it is. I'm not going to break down all the in-game menus - trust me, I originally did that and it ended up looking like a massive wall of painfully constructed text. There's just no way I can be concise about Cyberpunk's menus, and therein lies the problem. This game is so deep you're likely to drown just trying to figure out all the different systems and subsystems. The Character menu - where you tweak your abilities - has a bunch of Attributes and Perks you can fiddle with. Yet all these perks and attributes just add minor, incremental enhancements that really don't add much to the overall game. The Inventory is a disorganized joke with non-sensical icons denoting each item category. The Journal is an ever-growing honey-do list of missions you can tackle. The Map is a disorientating Jackson Pollock painting. And finally, there's Crafting, which after all my time with this game, I still have zero idea how it works. In talking with some of my colleagues, they rarely, if ever, used Crafting either. To compound this problem, the menus use a cursor system - which makes sense if I'm using a mouse and keyboard - but is a pain in the ass when using a controller.

The Ripperdoc suggests: First, scrap the Crafting component, it's useless. Second, add proper tutorials for absolutely every aspect of the menu. And no, not those stupid on-screen prompts that show up at the worst possible moment or the "help" option that displays vague information on screen. I want full tutorial videos that I can watch within each menu that clearly lays out what everything does and how I can get the most out of this game. And finally, drop the annoying cursor navigation and come up with a system that works well with a controller.

[...]
Twinfinite have suggested five ways Cyberpunk 2077 could be improved.

Better Economy and Money System

Cyberpunk 2077 is a pretty massive game, with tons of different perks to unlock and attributes to level up. You'll definitely want to level V up quickly to start getting better equipment, but you'll need to make sure you have the cash for it too.

One of the biggest problems we've encountered in this game is just how hard it is to get, well, anything. You can get a fairly steady flow of income from doing main missions, side gigs, and other optional quests. However, equipment and upgrades are extremely expensive, and just trying to get a couple of Ripperdoc upgrades will certainly deplete your bank account in the blink of an eye.

Money aside, getting experience for specific skills can also be a slog. Crafting, in particular, feels extremely unrewarding once you get to the mid-game stages, as it's hard enough to gather crafting components to craft more valuable items, and it only stings more when you realize how little crafting experience you get from it.

The same can be said for pretty much any non-combat skill as well, making the game feel a little inflexible overall. It's no wonder that players have been quick to find money and experience exploits to speed up the leveling process.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

One of the biggest problems we've encountered in this game is just how hard it is to get, well, anything. You can get a fairly steady flow of income from doing main missions, side gigs, and other optional quests. However, equipment and upgrades are extremely expensive, and just trying to get a couple of Ripperdoc upgrades will certainly deplete your bank account in the blink of an eye.

What???? Did this person play the game? I had 180K at the end of chapter 1 without using a single trick, hack, or other cheap method. I didn't even craft. I simply did the quests and gigs and crime stuff, looted it all, and sold it at the various drop boxes while exploring the city. It doesn't take that long to earn eddies.

I thought it was good that you couldn't just buy everything interested - it made earning eddies more worth while.

Also who would want to speed up the leveling considering at the higher levels you pretty much become invincible. I had been okay with combat but once I got past level 27-29 things really got much easier>

Sounds more like "instant gratification" is the authors motto.

Most of these articles are written by journalists who never even finished the prologue.

This one calls it a Duke Nukem-like gaming experience.

Link - https://lifehacker.com/these-third-party-mods-make-cyberpunk-2077-tolerable-1846052884
Assuming you haven’t thrown your hands up in the air and demanded a refund for the Duke Nukem-like gaming experience that is Cyberpunk 2077, there are a number of mods you can grab that address some of its issues and, dare I say it, make it more fun to play. At the very least, they’ll tide you over until developer CD Projeckt Red launches its first two mea culpa updates over the next few weeks—though even that won’t make the game as cool as the mods that transform its visual style into Borderlands..
Each mod has a scathing critique of the game's failures.:rolleyes:

Dan Vávra of Warhorse Studios put it in perspective.
The highlight not only of this year is Cyberpunk 2077 for me. I did not expect anything from it. The beginning disappointed me tremendously, but then it became the best game in the last few years. Period. I played it on a PC and after hotfix 1.2 I didn't have even ONE game breaking bug or any major problem, apart from the annoying need to set up Czech subs after each run. The disappointment was the clickbait sensationalism of all youtubers and journalists who chased the views by showing the non-patched first version of the game, without most of them playing it at all.

You'd think people were over it by now.

Even on the more serious side of news, I've seen recent articles on Bloomberg, The Economist, BusinessInsider, and probably others.

It's sad to see they're quite superficial in some of their arguments or even sources of information, which of course leads to conclusions that are beside the point. I thought those people were more thorough.

What???? Did this person play the game? I had 180K at the end of chapter 1 without using a single trick, hack, or other cheap method. I didn't even craft. I simply did the quests and gigs and crime stuff, looted it all, and sold it at the various drop boxes while exploring the city. It doesn't take that long to earn eddies.
I'm sitting at about 400k right before the point of no return. Haven't done all side quests yet. A lot of gigs and the criminal shootings still open too.
And I just always grabbed the loot I saw on the way, but never actually searched.
I can't find implants I want to buy and also no weapons or armor.
So for me it's the other way round, I can't find anything to buy.

I don't buy any cars though which would be a huge money sink I guess.

Last edited:
Its interesting when the "criticisms" coming from game journo's little reflect the game in mention. They are making themselves more obsolete by the day.

A lot of people have an axe to grind with CD Project since they haven't leaned too much in to the 'Wokeness' attitude thats floating around these days. They smell blood are making the most of it before CD Project fix things.

This should be all well in hand by the time I think of playing this game, which at this point should be late summer or so. I don't mind waiting for a discount and a slightly better functioning product these days!

This should be all well in hand by the time I think of playing this game, which at this point should be late summer or so. I don't mind waiting for a discount and a slightly better functioning product these days!

Before becoming bored with the Assassin's Creed franchise, I always played the prior year's AC when the current year's AC released. That way I played the game at a discount, with all the content, and with the most bugs resolved.

Its interesting when the "criticisms" coming from game journo's little reflect the game in mention. They are making themselves more obsolete by the day.

I think they are trying to write what they think people want to read because that sells clicks and generates income to their site. Not sure whether it can even be called journalism. It is too easy to publish content that does not pass a peer-review these days because the content does not have to be printed. Probably a reason why democracy is in a downwards spiral in many traditionally democratic countries.

I think they are trying to write what they think people want to read because that sells clicks and generates income to their site. Not sure whether it can even be called journalism. It is too easy to publish content that does not pass a peer-review these days because the content does not have to be printed. Probably a reason why democracy is in a downwards spiral in many traditionally democratic countries.

The difference between what people deserve and what they get is down to what they will tolerate. I find it quite telling when so many institutions that are supposed to provide accountability instead attack any critics and in some cases 'cancel' them. The best remedy at this point is to let them die and seek alternative avenues and models for the same functions.

Shit doesn't die, on the contrary, the world drowns in it.

Nothing wrong with criticism. People just need to educate themselves and think on their own instead of devouring rubbish. I don't see that happening, though. The masses are getting stupider or then social media just lets their voice be heard. Journalists should realize this and consider their accountability. Not all of them will, though, because money rules the world. Shit gets published, the masses take the bait, and the show goes on. A clusterfuck.

Last edited:
Shit doesn't die, on the contrary, the world drowns in it.

Nothing wrong with criticism. People just need to educate themselves and think on their own instead of devouring rubbish. I don't see that happening, though. The masses are getting stupider or then social media just lets their voice be heard. Journalists should realize this and consider their accountability. Not all of them will, though, because money rules the world. Shit gets heard and the show goes on. A clusterfuck.

I don't think its all down to stupidity. Lots of people are in the habit of looking away, which is not surprising considering they are being asked to change their worldview and their place in it.

Our world is not that different from the world of Cyberpunk. A significant difference is that the corporations do not exercise violence as publicly but that could change.

It depends very much where in the world you are, as concerning corp violence. Africa and the Amazon are good examples, lots of environmentalists and independent journos have been killed to protect profit.

It depends very much where in the world you are, as concerning corp violence. Africa and the Amazon are good examples, lots of environmentalists and independent journos have been killed to protect profit.

True. I deleted that part because it did not quite fit the rant. Notwithstanding, I meant it and you are right. The shit goes on if one just opens eyes. One thing I love in this game is the ability of CDPR to criticize our society in a subtle way. They did that in their previous games and do it here too. Sure, some of it comes from the IP creators, Sapkowski and Pondsmith, but CDPR writers hone that content to become even more relevant.

I hope they can spend a year or two focused on fixing things, adding content, and bringing this game to the next level. Right now it is amazing - one of the best games I have ever played, but it could be so much more. I don't trust that article by the disgruntled "dev" (sounds more like a wishful user) but stuff like that would be cool.

Either way would be great if they didn't get distracted by lawsuits and all the negative media by journalists who haven't really even played … and instead can focus on fixing their mistakes and polish the game to what it was meant to be.

Cut content I ignore. The number of games released with lots of content cut because they ran out of time, planned too big, etc., well more games then naught I bet. So many interviews I have read from devs on how they had to cut content near the end because they ran out of time or couldn't fit X in the way they wanted or ran into mechanic issues …

Course people do love to bring something down that was over-hyped (bragged) about and this game was over-hyped IMO.

Last edited:
@wolfgrimdark;, True. I might be selfish but I am hoping that the mainstream media would focus more on the positive. That would perhaps cause the devs to make more content to the game - or at least not drop the existing plans. At least it would not hurt as I would like to see more games from this company. I love their way of making games.

Over-hyping can also reach the "brainless" level. It seems that those extremes hit our radars and balanced opinions get filtered out on the internet. Apart from some game shows, I do not actually see where the devs over-hyped the game. It was the media that did it, not CDPR that much. The sales statements they have in their trailers are true IMO.

I think one group that has been very vocal about their disappointment were the people who expected this game to solve all the problems in their lives. These people should seek aid. It's a game, a form of entertainment, or a piece of art. Games can help to structure our way of thinking but can hardly solve problems in our lives. We have to do that ourselves.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom