Baldur's Gate 3 - 15 Reasons why it could be big

They're barely games! Don't get me wrong; I have played and enjoyed several. The Borderlands game is my favorite. But the choices are almost entirely illusory.

But aren't many cRPGs like that as well? You only have an illusion of choice. Only the most outstanding cRPGs you really have some choice.

Anyway, what I meant is that if you remove the combat from the cRPGs what you have is basically a Telltale Game. So for those that don't enjoy combat encounters Telltale's games are a good recommendation :p

I enjoyed The Wolf Among Us and the GoT.

But aren't many cRPGs like that as well? You only have an illusion of choice. Only the most outstanding cRPGs you really have some choice.

Anyway, what I meant is that if you remove the combat from the cRPGs what you have is basically a Telltale Game. So for those that don't enjoy combat encounters Telltale's games are a good recommendation :p

I enjoyed The Wolf Among Us and the GoT.

In good cRPGs character development influences more then just combat. So while I would NEVER play cRPG on easy or story-mode myself, I dont agree that removing combat makes cRPG an adventure game (and bad one, as while im big adventure games fan, I dislike whole Telltale production, but thats just me ofc).

Btw there were many cRPGs where combat was bad or irrelevant or both and it still didnt make them adventure games. Ultima VII, QfG series, Planescape T., Disco Elysium, etc.

In good cRPGs character development influences more then just combat. So while I would NEVER play cRPG on easy or story-mode myself, I dont agree that removing combat makes cRPG an adventure game (and bad one, as while im big adventure games fan, I dislike whole Telltale production, but thats just me ofc).

Btw there were many cRPGs where combat was bad or irrelevant or both and it still didnt make them adventure games. Ultima VII, QfG series, Planescape T., Disco Elysium, etc.

Is it the story development or character development that influences more than just combat? Usually in cRPGs choices that you make in the story that influences what happens in the story. Hardly something that you get leveling up influences the story - with the exception of conversation skills (e.g. Intimidation, Persuasion, etc.)

But you are right that there are a few RPGs that the story is way more relevant. But Disco Elysium is the only one that I can think of that is a cRPG and has no combat at all. Btw Quest for Glory is considered an Adventure Game, not a cRPG.

Is it the story development or character development that influences more than just combat? Usually in cRPGs choices that you make in the story that influences what happens in the story. Hardly something that you get leveling up influences the story - with the exception of conversation skills (e.g. Intimidation, Persuasion, etc.)

But you are right that there are a few RPGs that the story is way more relevant. But Disco Elysium is the only one that I can think of that is a cRPG and has no combat at all. Btw Quest for Glory is considered an Adventure Game, not a cRPG.

Good adventures and good cRPGs provide good illusion of story branching as it spices the gameplay significantly. Its mostly illusion as expecting more then one good story in one computer game is not very realistic, no matter if adventure game or cRPG. That doesnt mean the combat is the only thing that makes the difference. Good cRPG will provide story branching illusion based on character development, skill choices, class choices, etc.

And in my book, QfG series is cRPG. Also in THE CRPG BOOK ;)

Back
Top Bottom