Sui Generis - Post-Funding Update #24

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
In the latest post-funding update for Sui Generis the developers address the concerns over the released pre-alpha video.

Running improvements and combat controls

Many people found the poor running motion in our latest video quite distracting so we made an immediate effort to improve it. There also seems to be quite a lot of confusion about how the combat works so we made a new, more detailed explanation of the controls as they are in their current state.

There is a lot of room for improvement in the animation system in general and inevitably it draws people's attention. While we do want to continue improving animation we're currently focusing on other aspects of the game.

You may notice that at times the characters seem off balance and recover somewhat unrealistically. While this is relatively easy to improve in a way that would look better in a video it would also take away control from the player by causing involuntary steps and shuffles. We're prioritising gameplay, better to have something that's fun to play and not just nice to watch! That said we can probably improve this but again we don't consider it a priority right now.
More information.

Looks alot better to me. Still bad maybe, but not in a way that puts me off. On the other hand, I seldom play games for the graphics. As long as they meet my minimun standards the only thing I care about is gameplay.

Getting much better. Running still could use a bit of tweaking, though. I like the combat movement because it looks more realistic than the typical 'sword master' moves and skill in virtually every game. Seems like every Nameless Hero in every game is an instant combat expert the moment he drops his farm implement and grabs a sword. This looks more naturalistic. Sometimes smooth, sometimes a bit clumsy and off-balance, just like in real life.

Very nice graphics at most places but the FUN FACTOR is sorely missing. Maybe its just boring to watch?

Um… Still looks bad. (running)

Yep. Also the fights look lame. The animations should look fun. There was ONCE a move that looked right, when the player swung too hard and the weapons momentum jerked her upper body.

We're prioritising gameplay, better to have something that's fun to play and not just nice to watch!

Why not represent the fighting characters with green and yellow cubes then and these polygonal shapes bounce at each other shouting "BooYaah!" and the control is super responsive? Rename the game to Boxes Of War.

I was one of the pledgers. Animations and graphics are looking nice. But what about RPG aspects of the game? Story, quest, NPC characters, quests, choices&consequences? I hope it won't be another mindless button mashing so called action RPGs with generic quests and generic quest giver NPCs with big exclamation marks above their heads.

Wow. I thought the same thing; the running just looked weird and floaty. I didn't say nothing, but I'm glad I wasn't the only one and that they're fixing it!

Getting much better. Running still could use a bit of tweaking, though. I like the combat movement because it looks more realistic than the typical 'sword master' moves and skill in virtually every game. Seems like every Nameless Hero in every game is an instant combat expert the moment he drops his farm implement and grabs a sword. This looks more naturalistic. Sometimes smooth, sometimes a bit clumsy and off-balance, just like in real life.

Yeah but, unless combat animations get better with time, your more experienced PC will look ridiculous flailing with his weapon like a noob farmer...

Yeah but, unless combat animations get better with time, your more experienced PC will look ridiculous flailing with his weapon like a noob farmer…

Hmm. Hadn't considered that point. It would make sense to visibly advance not only player skill, but also show that through a smoother and quicker animation. Good point.

Never seen it implemented in a game before. Could Sui Generis be the first one? Unlikely, but we will have to wait and see...

Gothic 1-2 are the only games I can recall that used improved Stance & Animations to show skill increase. Would be nice if more games would take the time to implement such a system. It really did help with the immersion, and made you actually feel like you had gained something from putting the points/time into the chosen skills.

Back
Top Bottom