What are you reading?

I am in the middle of "the heroes" by Abercrombie. Nice read, but the plot is typical
(until now). Like Arkadia said, if someone asks my opinion about some reading, i will direct towards first law series

Thanks for the suggestions, will add them to my list.

Next up my ever changing list is Towers of Midnight, book 12, part 2 in the Wheel of Time Series, which I noticed has been out since November last year. Yay me! :D
I've almost finished reading this one. It's even better than the first book! :) So much is happening. I can't wait for the final book. Part of me will be sad to see it end, but I'm sure it'll be great as well!

Finished Das Ferdoker Pergament today.

I can recommend it to Drakensang players (especially those of Drakensang 2), despite its price.

The plot is as "epic" as the one of Drakensang 2 - so, don't expect too much, but a good deal of entertainment is guaranteed ! ;)

If nothing else, the Oscars can be a good referral source for novels on which movies are based. Often I watch the awards then go looking for these titles.

So I decided to read Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell. I enjoyed it for the setting. I only wish it had gone a little more into the characters, but overall a nice read. I look forward to reading more from him.

I'm reading a 'different' fantasy novel by John Wright called Orphans of Chaos. Worth a look.

Last edited:
120 days of sodom by sadeski

Currently reading Clan of the Cave Bear, an excellent historical fiction by Jean Auel. Main character is a young orphaned Cro-magnon girl raised by a clan of Neanderthals.

Prior to that, it was Debt of Honor, Tom Clancy. Deals with an (primarily) economic war initiated by Japan shortly after the end of the cold war.

Then Timeline, Michael Crichton. An archaeological team ends up trapped in the height of the hundred years war between France and England with a limited amount of time to find each other and get out.

I'll read just about anything in the fiction section that has enough content to last me more than a half hour of straight reading. I have a particular fondness for the historical fiction and fantasy categories.

Currently listening to (audio books) The Wheel of Time - by Robert Jordan, just finished book 9 - Winter's Heart. It is a most excellent series.

The beauty of audio books is, of course, being able to play most basic games while "reading" at the same time. Multi-tasking ftw.

Biological Psychology: An Introduction to Behavioral, Cognitive, and Clinical Neuroscience, 6th Edition.

Where's my gun?

Currently reading Clan of the Cave Bear, an excellent historical fiction by Jean Auel. Main character is a young orphaned Cro-magnon girl raised by a clan of Neanderthals.

She made a whole series of that.

Just finished "The Legend of Drizzt anthology - The collected stories" by R.A. Salvatore. It was very mediocre. Bad quality of writing and I only really liked one story out of 12 in the book.

Yeah, not so good. There are better FR books out there. Not a LOT better, but better. For example, I just read Shandril's Saga trilogy. It wasn't full of too much introspective noodling, and had lots action to keep it moving forwards.

The Last Mythal trilogy by Richard Baker is decent if you're after a Forgotten Realms setting. I considered it a better read than Salvatore's invincible drow series.

As for what I'm reading, I've had Jack Vance's Dying Earth in front of me for weeks trying to nudge me out of my Minecraft reverie.

Dying Earth sounds interesting, it has been on my radar for a while too, need to put it on my list.

I tried reading Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land but stopped midway through — for some reason I got a bit bored with it. Might finish when I'm out of other options.

Next I read Feist and Forstchen's Honoured Enemy, one of the stand-alone books set in the Midkemia Universe. Good read.

And now I'm reading Modesitt's Recluce Saga, starting with The Magic of Recluce, so far I find it very interesting, partly because it's a fresh setting.

Just finished "The Legend of Drizzt anthology - The collected stories" by R.A. Salvatore. It was very mediocre. Bad quality of writing and I only really liked one story out of 12 in the book.

Salvatore is like that, and after doing the Icewind Dale trilogy and Cleric Quintet I don't read much of his stuff ... but finally finished Neverwinter. Pretty much the same thing - some good, some bad ...

Also just finished re-reading the Wil Wheaton books and Joyce's Portrait of an Artist. Love that story.

Thinking of starting the 'Game of Thrones' series ... would you recommend it?

Thinking of starting the 'Game of Thrones' series … would you recommend it?

The first book is super, the second book is great, the third one is good..... kind of disappointing, I like series that get better not worse.

I agree with GG, the series goes downhill rather than up!!

I agree with GG, the series goes downhill rather than up!!

Well, just bought the four book bundle on BN so we can all share it (wife and younger son have nooks and I'll read on iPad)

Last I read or listened was Jack Cambells Lost Fleet series 1-5. Its a scifi war series with realistic twist. Im really looking forward to the next audiobook in the series.

Currently Im listening to Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett. Now I know that female dwarves have soft beards.

Back
Top Bottom