Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Action RPG Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance has been released:

A NEW LEGACY BEGINS...

Experience the massively popular world of Baldur's Gate as never before. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance thrusts you into an epic Dungeons & Dragons adventure filled with intense action, intricate puzzles and sinister intrigue, where your mastery of cold steel and devastating spells is the only thing between you and ultimate evil.

• A ground-breaking adventure, featuring the 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons(R) rule set.
  • Explosive spell effects and incredibly detailed creatures and environments deliver a more realistic gaming experience.
  • Three customizable characters, each with distinctive powers, appearances and abilities that develop throughout the game.
  • Battle alone or join a friend in two-player cooperative mode.
  • Explore Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance all over again, experiencing newfound adventures with a different customized character or replaying in Extreme mode for ten times the difficulty and fun.
  • Dolby Surround sound, real-time sound effect mixing, Hollywood voice talent and an original soundtrack by acclaimed composer Jeremy Soule.

More information.

I have this on Gamecube but I never got around to playing it more than a few hours. From what I remember it was "okay". I should really find some time to play it again.

If I remember correctly, I played this game on some emulator back in the days. I badly wanted to play it simply because it had the "BG label" slapped onto it.

However, I seem to recall that it was just some really simple and basic "hack & slash" that had nothing in common with the BG games I had played except for the setting itself, so I grew completely bored with it in just a few hours.

If this is the same title I'm thinking of and not something else that is.

I played this years back - its more diablo like than original BG. We lost interest in this pretty quick.

What purpleblob1 said. I've played it on PS2 with my son back then, but even couch coop could not save this game.

What purpleblob1 said. I've played it on PS2 with my son back then, but even couch coop could not save this game.

Ah yes, I remember it now. I thought it was pretty good (yeah, it got a little boring after a while), but I recall two other games that were similar. One might have been Dark Alliance 2 and the other I'm drawing a blank.

Edit: Champions of Norrath was the other. Might have been more than one of these.

Might have been more than one of these.

Baldur's Gate - Dark Alliance (Snowblind / Interplay)
Baldur's Gate - Dark Alliance II (later the BG label was removed) (Black Isle / Interplay)

The Bard's Tale (InXile)

Fallout - Brotherhood of Steel (Black Isle / Interplay) The use of the engine was unlicend

Champions of Norrath (Snowblind / SCE)
Champions - Return to Arms (Snowblind / SCE)

"Justice League Heroes" and "Combat Elite" were also done using the engine, but aren't even ARPGs.

Lord of the Rings - War in the North (Snowblind / Warner) used a very advanced version of the engine.

Baldur's Gate - Dark Alliance (Snowblind / Interplay)
Baldur's Gate - Dark Alliance II (later the BG label was removed) (Black Isle / Interplay)

The Bard's Tale (InXile)

Fallout - Brotherhood of Steel (Black Isle / Interplay) The use of the engine was unlicend

Champions of Norrath (Snowblind / SCE)
Champions - Return to Arms (Snowblind / SCE)

"Justice League Heroes" and "Combat Elite" were also done using the engine, but aren't even ARPGs.

Lord of the Rings - War in the North (Snowblind / Warner) used a very advanced version of the engine.
Thanks for the list.

Aside from the DA and Norrath games, I vaguely recall Fallout and LotR, but the others don't ring any bells.

I didn't have a large library of PS2 games.

I'm curious to hear the feedback, if anyone tries this.

This came out on the Switch a few months ago, and I replayed it than (played the original only on GBA) ... and it was good fun and exactly as you'd expect. It is an action RPG where you get tasks/quests and can choose where to allocate your skill points on level-up, but otherwise it is a pretty linear adventure in a D&D-type setting.

If it was $9.99 I would jump all over it, maybe even up to $20 ... but $40 is just laughable for a 20-year old game like this.

These games were and probably still are great fun on ps2. But you must take them for what they are - an action hack&slash crawlers. Champions of Norrath was the best from a lot for me. Still have all boxes laying somewhere in the apartment.

I tried playing this over at a friends house back in the day, I didn't care for it at all. I doubt that's changed. What is interesting is that, if the Norrath game ever makes it to GoG or steam, I'd likely check it out.

If it was $9.99 I would jump all over it, maybe even up to $20 … but $40 is just laughable for a 20-year old game like this.

I agree. at a 60% discount or more i'll pick it up. Edit: it's 30€ on my location so i'd say under 20 (33% discount) I would try it.

These games are ARPGs that were made to cash in on the IP by Interplay. Same with the Everquest versions. Though the Champion games were better and I would re-buy those.

Willing to try it, but as you people already said… *oof* the price.

It's currently rated "Very Positive" on Steam which is really surprising to me. Are people that desperate for anything with Baldur's Gate in the title? This game was mediocre imo even back in 2001.

It's currently rated "Very Positive" on Steam which is really surprising to me. Are people that desperate for anything with Baldur's Gate in the title? This game was mediocre imo even back in 2001.

Nostalgia reviews?

I saw the name with interest, had never heard of it, then noted it's a re-release of something quite old, then noted the price. There's a saying here, said with a thick aussie accent... tell 'im he's dreamin'.

Lol. 30 quid.

"Dance for us, monkeys! Dance!"

Back
Top Bottom