• GATEWAY TO THE SAVAGE FRONTIER
  • TREASURES OF THE SAVAGE FRONTIER
  • FORGOTTEN REALMS UNLIMITED ADVENTURES
Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Three
  • DUNGEON HACK
  • MENZOBERRANZAN
More information.

Last edited:
I wonder if they ever upgraded the graphics. I really don't see this making much if this is graphics from the original programming, but I wouldn't mind being wrong. These games were amazing when released.

Also important: Will they be compatible with Win10? The GOG versions needed DOSBox, will the Steam versions also need it?

Yeah, if it's those versions, I personally have no interest. I've played the ancient versions enough back when they were on C64.

You'd think they could have come up with better names for the Eye of the Beholder and classic Gold Box collections (probably the most famous games in this entire list) than "The Archives - Collection One" and "The Archives - Collection Two". Embarrassing. Apparently it's the same on GOG, though.

Steam doesn't already have these??!?!?!?!?!? I mean, once again, this is indeed why great old games is, has been, and always shall remain, my gold standard of gaming platforms. I'm still astonished that these games aren't already there, yet if even one person profits (in the sense of learning of these games' mere existence) from them arriving on this platform, tis a good thing indeed!

I just hope that this can inspire these games to be remade using modern tech and with all the modern graphics technology, but with an isometric, tactical battles - classic top down view so we can see all our party members.

I would buy all these D&D games in a second if that were done to remake these games!

I've said that a few times myself, Arkadia7, and I fully mean it. Should we ever get remasters of any of these most excellent offerings, I'll be there with ducets in hand.

Own most of these on GoG and I'll still purchase the Steam versions. Some of the most enjoyable games played in the halcyon days of my youth that bring back the most delicious nostalgia. :)

That's also a solid point. I'll likely do the same, even though I've got them all on GoG, simply to award the effort. Sometimes we can have good things.

Add me to the list as well Carnifex. I would be happy with a remaster along the lines of the Bards Tale remasters. I think the battle maps could be improved a lot though and made a bit more user friendly maybe like Low Magic Age except without the OGL 3.5 interpretation rules. I'd be happy if they stick with the cutdown 2nd edition rules they originally used.

Gold Box only applies to the one that came in the original gold box packaging. Games like Ravenloft and Stone Prophet were never Gold Box games and I am not sure why the press release says they are.

I just hope that this can inspire these games to be remade using modern tech and with all the modern graphics technology, but with an isometric, tactical battles - classic top down view so we can see all our party members.

I would buy all these D&D games in a second if that were done to remake these games!
That's blasphemy on this site watch out. Anyway yeah it they got remade in a new engine I'd be like a fat kid in a candy store right now. So I'll pass on this great offer.

I don't see the point of getting these on Steam unless they actually added new features or even achievements, but I'd be surprised if they did anything like that.

I don't see the point of getting these on Steam unless they actually added new features or even achievements, but I'd be surprised if they did anything like that.

Tend to agree. The nostalgia is best served remaining a memory. Playing this old stuff now doesn't live up to what it was 30 years ago.

Tend to agree. The nostalgia is best served remaining a memory. Playing this old stuff now doesn't live up to what it was 30 years ago.

I played 4 in the last few years so have a bunch of other people on the watch. Great games don't really age - it's you who has changed. Getting another Silver Shield +5 feels just as good as it did 25 years ago for me :)

Just to be clear, I didn't mean that the games aren't still worth playing for fans. It's just that everyone who would want them likely already owns them on GOG since they've been there for years.

A while back I replayed some of the Gold Box games just for fun because I enjoyed the old tactical, turn-based combat system. Frankly, they haven't aged well. The state of gaming art has long since left them behind.

Interestingly, the publisher is the same company that published the recent Blade of Darkness PC port, so maybe they’ll also push for some improvements besides what the GOG versions already do.

Anyway, I’ve not had any experience with these classic games, and they might be outside my area of interest, besides as maybe a historical curiosity. I’d like to have the time to try them out and see how they’ve aged.

Back
Top Bottom