Geneforge 1 - Mutagen - Livestream and Q&A on February 7

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
On Sunday, February 7, there will be a developer livestream and Q&A session for Geneforge 1 - Mutagen:

Developer Livestream #2

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen is a unique, truly open-ended fantasy role-playing adventure in a strange, new world. Use battle or cunning to change the world, served by your own army of custom-made mutant monsters. Over 80 zones to explore and 50+ hours of gameplay. Multitudes of skills, abilities, factions, treasures, and servants to create.

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen is coming for Windows and Macintosh at the end of February, 2021. Progress you make in the demo will carry over to the full game, so you won't need to start over!

This livestream is done by the developer, a grumpy indie developer veteran who has been making his odd, low-budget, fun adventures for 26 years. Enjoy learning about Geneforge and the indie games business from a fun old crank.
More information.

Started playing the Demo yesterday, having fun so far.
I have never played the original as the graphics and especially the sound were beyond what I could bear. ^^
Seems like this might be the game which offers the most freedom of all the Spiderweb games, where you can potentially kill everyone in towns, or where you could even win without killing any enemies.

It's not as much of an upgrade as I was hoping for.

It scales horribly on modern resolutions. On my monitor's default, it looked like I was viewing things from an airplane. I've had to lower the resolution all the way down to 1024x768 to not feel so distant, and it doesn't look very good at that res.

I also hope the full game allows key rebinding.

Well, its exactly the same resolution and graphics as all the other recent games, Avernum 1-3 and Avadon 1-3. Only Queens Wish used a different "engine".

Well, its exactly the same resolution and graphics as all the other recent games, Avernum 1-3 and Avadon 1-3. Only Queens Wish used a different "engine".

Yeah, I was hoping it would be a little more than just another cash grab, but I suppose I was hoping for too much.

Started mastering the audio files to my speaker setup: making louder all background nature noises, long files by about 200%. Already copied a bunch of same sounds over from Avernum 3 - clicks, inventory sounds, door & chest openings -, but playing at much lesser volume..
Hate that Jeff gives a SHT about sound mastering. Yeah, but at least we have a game, which code-wise works at least.

Yeah, the volume is off.
I set it to 1/6. Its also not directly affecting music (the one in the menu). So after setting it in the menu, you need to restart the game first.

I don't care so much about graphical upgrades, mostly I'm hoping that he significantly changes up the mechanics of the original. I haven't played the demo yet, but I did see from screen shots that summoned monsters seemed to have more unique skills then before, which would go a long way towards that. I loved the original, but the different summons often seemed a little too similar to each other.

I'm all on board with this one, I believe it releases later this month. A game that you can likely play the first day/week and not have to worry about too many changes/patches, one of the many things I adore about Spiderweb!

I don't care so much about graphical upgrades, mostly I'm hoping that he significantly changes up the mechanics of the original. I haven't played the demo yet, but I did see from screen shots that summoned monsters seemed to have more unique skills then before, which would go a long way towards that. I loved the original, but the different summons often seemed a little too similar to each other.

Its kinda funny. Just checked in the Steam Forums for other stuff, and there is one thread with complaints that the game changed too much. ^^
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1424710/discussions/0/3007801544749753198/

Personally I find the mechanics to work quite well so far. No complaints. You wont be to fully judge monsters from the demo though. You can only unlock 2 monster types, 2 variants each. Each have multiple attribute upgrades, a few (3?) active skills and a few (2?) passive skills.

Finished mastering all the 290 sounds. Now the annoying effects are toned down and all the BG atmospherics is enhanced, so I can hear them in my "soft low volume"-mode. Excellent! Now onto the adventure.. :)
I was surprised how good the monsters sound and there are some new, excellent sound effects. But of course the lame and annoying sounds from previous games are here still, so they had to be tamed. :D

The demo's screen flickers for me in fullscreen, which doesn't happen in windowed mode.

Went to finally download the demo and oddly it doesn't seem to be available any more. When I follow the link on this thread or search for it on Steam it just takes me to the link to the main game

Went to finally download the demo and oddly it doesn't seem to be available any more. When I follow the link on this thread or search for it on Steam it just takes me to the link to the main game

Yeah, it has only been available during the steam event. However Jeff already mentioned in the forum that the demo will be available again on his page once the game releases.

got an email Geneforge 1 - Mutagen is now available on Steam

i would get it but i plan on doing an avadon series playthrough so no time in the near future for this :(

Yeah I received the same email, I'll be picking it up later today or this week simply to support the project, and to play a newer version. Not sure when I'll get around to playing it honestly but I do like to support the fine folk at Spiderweb.

Back
Top Bottom