Nextgen CPUs

CES news. AMD showed an engineering sample Ryzen 8 cores/16 threads at base 3.6GHz with 3.9GHz boost clock. 3.4GHz was said to be the lowest speed of that CPU line…

Going by PC magazine CanardPC (and other insiders rumors) who had access to engineering samples, OC over 4GHz on air is a possible. CanardPC even reached 5GHz on a single core on air (with a very good cooling fan though).

Micro Center newsletter also says that Ryzen does generally better than Kaby Lake in clock for clock tests.

In the meanwhile, Intel Kaby Lake just released and it's another refresh. By the way, Kaby is apparently Windows 10 only because it can't boot Windows 7 (read that on the web so take with a grain of salt but you might want to validate if you want to purchase and don't have Win 10).

My new undead PC will be powered by the AMD rebellion. They are rapidly becoming the best choice for Linux, too - they are doing a ton of work in that space.

My new undead PC will be powered by the AMD rebellion. They are rapidly becoming the best choice for Linux, too - they are doing a ton of work in that space.

I went all AMD too.

I think it was because part of me wants to believe that they're still ATI and Canadian.

Yeah, after a VERY long time I've abandoned Nvidia for AMD and I'll, most likely, abandon Intel as well.

Kaby won't care about win older than 10 - Ryzen is not supposed to discriminate.
While half of Steam audience is on win10, the rest is still attached to older OS. Means, AMD has a chance to win over at least half of gamers.

I went all AMD too.

I think it was because part of me wants to believe that they're still ATI and Canadian.
Im still using the Intel CPU that I bought 2008. Gave it a bit overclock but it still runs latest games with max settings given a decent GPU as a pair. I dont see the value in upgrading to new Intel CPU yet, they are so expensive.

Last AMD CPU I had was AMD64 something I think. After that two Intels Core 2 Duo and i7.

Last ATI GPUs Radeon 9800 pro and fanless ATI 800XL. The first ATI card was very noise and the second overheated because then fanless design did not work (I had to modify a case fan to ventilate it). After ATI cards it has been all Nvidia 8800GTS, GTX280, GTX580, GTX680 and GTX1070.

If anything its the console gaming that is in decline, while PC and mobile gaming is growing.

Edit: Almost forgot that AMD and ATI were different companies back then.

Last edited:
Very little reason to upgrade from sandy bridge for gaming. However, if AMD has a good solution and you need a new computer; then that might be a viable alternative. The area of AMD that interest me is if they improve their cpu (as pre-marketing suggest); they do tend to have better GPU than intel for non-gaming machines that do not require a dedicated GPU.

About a month until Ryzen is launched by AMD (early March release confirmed). AMD also announced that they will have Window 7 drivers for their new CPUs.

AMD also announced that they will have Window 7 drivers for their new CPUs.

Touche. Even if Ryzen is worse than Kaby, it'll sell like crazy - the point of PC is to allow *everything*, not hold customers hostage over allowed OS.

You're wrong. PC gaming is dead for decades so it's only servers market. :p

I'm always wrong but even if i am wrong the pc market is growing like crazy cause we all know consoles suck.

What would be nice is if they made PC games and then ported them to consoles so we could stop having shitty console interfaces :)

You're wrong. PC gaming is dead for decades so it's only servers market. :p

The problem is: you can't load the whole airplane cargo on a donkey.

What would be nice is if they made PC games and then ported them to consoles so we could stop having shitty console interfaces :)
That would mean that PC gaming is not dead. When it is.

Price rumor (Euro with taxes by a Spanish website) for Ryzen R7 line up:
1800X: 8/16 @ 4Ghz (95W) = $599
1700X: 8/16 @ 3.8Ghz (95W) = $469
1700: 8/16 @ 3.7Ghz (65W) = $389

The clock might be the boost clock or not (there are contradicting info on this). The 1700 is the "gamer CPU", the other two are for professionals.

Full list of CPUs without prices (base clock is probably not 100% accurate, they won't all have the same clock, lol).

According to Canard PC, Intel is panicking internally.

Now waiting for reviews (which should be out in the next two weeks if it really launch on March 2 as rumored).

Why AMD, why pick Nvidia GPU naming convention!

I have a hard time getting excited about any CPU release since just about any CPU from the last 10 years paired with a good graphics card will be sufficient.

My brother has an i920 with a 1070 and can run pretty much everything at 1080/60 all day long.

I have a hard time getting excited about any CPU release since just about any CPU from the last 10 years paired with a good graphics card will be sufficient.
This is absolutely true. There is no valid reason to upgrade CPU today (assuming you bought an appropriate one and not some cheap i3 a decade ago), still it's good to know what's happening on CPU scene if your PC farted and you need to combine a new one.

Why is that so? In a perfect world I'd say ask developers but the sad truth is ask imbecillic CEOs who want the software to remain in stone age or portable to phones.
So much CPU power out there is underused not because developers being incapable. The horror stories are recent nonAI/noncomplex games requirements that ask for i7 while there is absolutely no logic such games need that much power.

According to Canard PC, Intel is panicking internally.
You bet.
They've immediately announced two new CPUs:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/in...ke-core-i5-7640k-and-i7-7740k-processors.html

i5 at base 4Ghz with HT? If I'd go for a new machine, hell yes! But let's see the price compared to AMD's 3.7Ghz one first. Because… If the price for this new i5 is set too low it would mean a middlefinger to recent i7 buyers on the other hand if the price is much higher than competition it can burn.

Last edited:
You bet.
They've immediately announced two new CPUs:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/in...ke-core-i5-7640k-and-i7-7740k-processors.html

i5 at base 4Ghz with HT? If I'd go for a new machine, hell yes! But let's see the price compared to AMD's 3.7Ghz one first. Because… If the price for this new i5 is set too low it would mean a middlefinger to recent i7 buyers on the other hand if the price is much higher than competition it can burn.

CanardPC had access to the two new CPUs (in french). The biggest change is the socket format change.

edit: lol, some people are having fun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom