If you are offered one superpower...

If you are offered one superpower, what would it be?

• Super strength

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super speed

• Flight

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Teleportation (transporting oneself from place A to B)

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Time travel

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Telepathy (ability to read thoughts)

• Animal control

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Shapeshifting

• Invisibility

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • X-ray vision

• Total voters
E

Eye

Me:
Timetravel, it seems like a lovely hobby. I’d check out the past.

Teleportation. When I find A, I would finally get the chance to know what it is like in B

Me:
Timetravel, it seems like a lovely hobby. I’d check out the past.

Having watched Timeless for the past 2 years, I'm not so sure about that!! :)

Of those offered, not a single one is what I'd care about much.
Animal control to drive them all into suicide. Can't stand those pe(s)ts any more. I'm dead serious.

Telepathy. I struggle with social interactions - I want to read their thoughts so I can avoid some conflicts :p

Hmm…

Time travel would be interesting, but only if I could choose where I'd end up, because the Earth is on a rotation and there's an incredibly high chance I'd wind up somewhere I've never been. Going back in time to meet George Washington would be intriguing, but winding up in middle of skirmish in 1776 wouldn't be fun.

Flight's always been one I've considered, too, mostly for the freedom and peace of mind (but shortness of breathe due to elevation wouldn't be fun, either).

Teleportation could be fun, and you might be able to call it a form of time travel. Going from Los Angeles to New York means you're still jumping ahead 3 hours, but you can be anywhere you want, whenever you want. That's handy.

I'll go with time travel, because I'd love to meet many of the amazing minds of the past (besides, imagine how rich I'd be if I brought a month's worth of rent money with me to 1776, or how poor I'd be in 2240? Preferably the former, of course. Actually, no, that probably wouldn't work, because if I whipped out my wallet and pulled a crisp Benjamin Franklin, and Mr. Washington saw that, I might get accused of something).

I'll still go with time travel.

Last edited:
Teleportation, shape-shifting, and invisibility would be the most useful. I voted teleportation. It's certainly the thing I wished for most often during my life (at airports, in traffic jams, etc.).

Super strength: If I'll ever want to start a carreer as a beast of burden I'll get back to you.
Super speed: Means I'll die earlier?
Flight: Less useful then teleportation, and possible to approximate by existing technology.
Time travel: Can already do. One direction only.
Animal control: Seems a bit unethical. I'd be interested in talking to animals, though.
X-ray vision: Nah, I'd see all the wrong things. And no guarantee I'd be able to switch it off. Closing my eyes to no effect would be a nightmare.

I'd say telepathy as it would allow you to do more then just read minds.:devil:

I'll go with a boring one: Immortality. ^^
Ignoring the poll options :p

Edit: Actually found a workaround: Taking time travel. Will travel into the future, when it will be possible to become immortal.

(Immortal = not dieing of age/dieases and other "minor" reasons of death these deaths)

Last edited:
Edit: Actually found a workaround: Taking time travel. Will travel into the future, when it will be possible to become immortal.
Ah but there is one caveat you can't travel to a future that hasn't happened yet.:biggrin:

Two major rules of time travel according to movies and comics at least.

1. The future hasn't happened yet so no traveling there.
2. Absolutely never come in contact with your past self.

It's hard to beat time travel as one of the all time dreams of mankind. That it may be possible at a future time makes it all the more tantalizing.

At a more practical level, it would be between teleportation and invisibility. Teleportation would be tricky, because presuming you would want to keep your power secret, you would have to teleport to isolated locations so no one would happen to see you appear out of thin air while you were teleporting. It would be very dangerous to you if someone found out about your power.

So, I would choose invisibility, based on personal gain. You can imagine how much advantage you could gain from this ability. Money? No problem. Spend a night in the bank vault, fill up, and head out when they open the vault in the morning.

You could do other things too, like, dreams every teenaged boy thinks about, lol, like go see people (women) naked without them knowing.

It would be best to not put this ability into someone who is a hardcore criminal of course, because those possibilities would be scary indeed. Imagine Ted Bundy with this ability, for instance, or a religious fanatic terrorist who wants to kill the "infidels" in the name of his warped beliefs in a religion. *shivers*

Ah but there is one caveat you can't travel to a future that hasn't happened yet.:biggrin:

Two major rules of time travel according to movies and comics at least.

1. The future hasn't happened yet so no traveling there.
2. Absolutely never come in contact with your past self.

1. Relativity makes future travel possible. If we traveled to Alpha Centauri at near light speed, it would take approximately 4 years to arrive. However, to us, time dilation would compress this into a few months (and we would age that rate too). Likewise, astronauts on the ISS experience time dilatation as well. Of course, it would probably take a century before they were even a second into the future.

2. It's possible time isn't one linear path, so meeting yourself would just create a second branch in time, preserving the timeline you originated from.

homer-3d.jpg

Well I was just joking but thanks for the scientific answer.:thumbsup:

Edit: Just imagine going on some distant space mission for NASA and when you get back everyone you know is dead. Makes me remember the old Planet of the Apes movie.

Edit 2: Scientist's hypothetical answer.
In all time travel theories allowed by real science, there is no way a traveler can go back in time to before the time machine was built. I am confident time travel into the future is possible, but we would need to develop some very advanced technology to do it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom