The TV Series discussion thread

I've been binging the "Limitless" tv series on Netflix never having watched it before it was cancelled on CBS.

It is based on the movie in 2011 which I still haven't seen yet. Bradley Cooper stars in it and he was a co-producer on the show. Unlike most spin-offs these days the tv show takes place in the same universe with Cooper making cameos reprising his role.

Its really, really good and surprisingly dark for TV with its theme of drug addiction. But by episode 8 it has a tendency to get really, really dumb like if its trying to tone it down ala MASH or Hill Street Blues and playing to the lowest common denominator like having the character smoking a bong all the time. When its trying to be funny it gets stupid. But even between that it just gets brilliant. There's an online petition that won't go away for a season 2.

Yes, always wanted to read the books but they made a tv show before I could.

Netflix will also have season 2 on, just like the new Star trek show later this year.

I really like some of the newer scifi productions like ascension and one other I forgot the name of

What's ascension about ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been binging the "Limitless" tv series on Netflix never having watched it before it was cancelled on CBS.

It is based on the movie in 2011 which I still haven't seen yet. Bradley Cooper stars in it and he was a co-producer on the show. Unlike most spin-offs these days the tv show takes place in the same universe with Cooper making cameos reprising his role.

Its really, really good and surprisingly dark for TV with its theme of drug addiction. But by episode 8 it has a tendency to get really, really dumb like if its trying to tone it down ala MASH or Hill Street Blues and playing to the lowest common denominator like having the character smoking a bong all the time. When its trying to be funny it gets stupid. But even between that it just gets brilliant. There's an online petition that won't go away for a season 2.

I totally agree with you, the show flipped from being totally stupid sometimes to absolutely brilliant and I'm sorry it was cancelled. I think they tried too hard to be clever and what seemed like a good idea on paper just didn't work in reality with some episodes that were mind numbingly stupid. However, at its best it was clever, witty and funny.

I totally agree with you, the show flipped from being totally stupid sometimes to absolutely brilliant and I'm sorry it was cancelled. I think they tried too hard to be clever and what seemed like a good idea on paper just didn't work in reality with some episodes that were mind numbingly stupid. However, at its best it was clever, witty and funny.

Hmmm ... I thought the movie was ok but not great, gave the show initial shot but quickly dismissed it - might have to catch up with it on Netflix after the kids return to college.

We caught up with 'Designated Survivor' last night - didn't realize we'd missed the 'mid-season finale' because the previous episode had a good cliff-hanger! Still loving the series, plenty of twists and turns and intrigue!

We're a few episodes behind on 'Madam Secretary', but as I said before ... "after the kids return to college" :) They are each heading back a bit early, so the rush is on ...

Yes but not much is known yet, other than it will only be available to paying customers (and "alternate" sources of course).

Actually first few episodes should air on normal TV (doesn't have to be CBS drama, CBS reality, CBS crime and whatnot as long as it has a contract with CBS) while the rest of series is exclusive to some CBS' streaming service:
https://www.cbs.com/all-access/

As you can spot there, with limited advertisments (and a huge question is if the service is fully available worldwide, dunno) subscription will tax you $6 per month.
Assuming new series will have 20ish episodes, that's 5 months or a total of $30 - with damned advertisments. Most probably the same cash total will be needed to buy DVD set on Amazon soon after the series air it's last episode - without advertisments. From CBS' audience you'll learn if series is worth your money at all.

No, you don't want to subscribe anyway, beside new Star Trek, that service will have just one more (shit)show as exclusive content plus Big Brother: Over the Top idiocy.

No, you don't have to watch it as soon as it airs. There is no TV series you need to watch immediately. You can't discuss with your friends in RL something they follow episode by episode? That's not your problem but theirs.

Last edited:
We caught up with 'Designated Survivor' last night - didn't realize we'd missed the 'mid-season finale' because the previous episode had a good cliff-hanger! Still loving the series, plenty of twists and turns and intrigue!

We're a few episodes behind on 'Madam Secretary', but as I said before … "after the kids return to college" :) They are each heading back a bit early, so the rush is on …

I think Designated Survivor is fun, but it feels cramped with too many things in too short a time. It would have been good if they increased the time it took for events to happen.

I have started Westworld and I really like it.
The actors are fun and the concepts good too. Some episodes have some better/worse events, but in general I recommend it. Hope it stays at this quality as I'm only on episode 4.

I read that, outside the US, the new Trek will be on Netflix.

Just watched Preacher and Lucifer back to back. While I prefer the setting and story of Preacher, the guy who plays Lucifer is a hoot.

The wife and I just binge watched The 100. Finally watched it. I was shocked the series wasn't finished and we missed the Season 4 premier last week. Fortunately, it was free on their website.

What starts off as a Hunger Games/Lost clone turns into a Cyberpunk/Game of Thrones clone in season 3. I thought that was strange. And like most of these serialized dramas where so much goes on the characters don't stay consistent and it goes without saying, the story. But its a good lark - even though it seems like they ran out of a good story at the end of Season 2.

--

I've noticed a trope in TV Sci-Fi that every current or near future sci-fi ends up going Cyberpunk with some actor, usually a child, becoming the secret AI antagonist behind it all. I've seen that now with Person of Interest, Revolutions, and now The 100. It has been around awhile - Star Trek the Motion Picture did this.

Wait, are you saying skippit or it's worth watching? I've heard about it, but because of synopsis I thought it's targetted audience are low IQ teens (read: no actual sauce for brains but yucky romantic crap).

Wait, are you saying skippit or it's worth watching? I've heard about it, but because of synopsis I thought it's targetted audience are low IQ teens (read: no actual sauce for brains but yucky romantic crap).

That's how it was in S1 (imo), maybe they made it more interesting in follow-up seasons.

I have little tolerance for teen angst, so I could only watch like 4 episodes.

I tried watching the one hundred. I think I lasted three episodes, the concept was interesting but man, those were some of the dullest people I've ever seen on the 'tube. For reals.

But why is it almost 8/10 on imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2661044/

You guys sure it doesn't get better later? I can forgive if it starts silly but turns out good.

Yes.

A lot of people had their reservations about it at first, especially with so many Hunger Games clones out there - I mean, Revolutions was a joke. However, its also a decent Lost clone so it has that going on.

The thing about The 100 is it picks up and there's a lot of wild twists with what people have said "there is no compromise with the writing" especially with season 2. They don't take the easy way out and it can get pretty shocking.

They come against the Hunger Games trope early on with the "the bad guys are the adults" early on and they replace it with something else which they finally lampshade by season 3 - though they make it obvious even in season 1.

In short, its pretty compelling in spite of some of the inevitable issues on these kind of shows - high school angst and plot holes. The main arcs don't get side tracked but by the third season, the show should really be renamed, as they are starting their third main in this fourth season. The writers do lampshade some of the holes and come up with some plausible reasons but in the end, "…its just a show. We should really just relax."

They say it gets better, but I enjoyed season 1 more than season 2. Stopped halfway or so 3 years ago and I just can't get to pick it up.

Watching legend of the seekers. I love it up till now, probably because I went into it with very low expectations. But it is actually well produced.

Back
Top Bottom