Anyone else tried to beat Icewind Dale without reload - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Anyone else tried to beat Icewind Dale without reload

Default Anyone else tried to beat Icewind Dale without reload

June 24th, 2019, 15:47
I tried to beat Icewind Dale without reload(except for permanently death),so if my characters happens to die i have to spent gold to revive them in the temple,but is too hard ! i have to give up once i reached a point where i didn't have enough money to revive them !

But the battles are more exciting that way and is scary to rest when you party is injured !

Neritikes

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 24th, 2019, 19:50
Sounds like a fun challenge! How far did you get? And what was your party composition?

I've never done a no-reload challenge, but I did try soloing it with a half orc beserker a few years back. I was using the EE, so the higher level cap and ability to dual wield were massively helpful. The solo run started off difficult, but then got easier and easier. Battles I had found difficult with a party were ripped open by my one high level character, including Yxonomei. I got cockier and cockier, right up until the final battle, which was an absolute nightmare with one character. I eventually rage quit without quite having finished it. Next time though, next time….

I'm currently soloing Baldurs Gate with an elven fighter/mage. So far it has followed the same pattern - I'm currently destroying my enemies after a hard start, but I'm dreading the Sarevok battle. It's making me think about the rule set in a totally different way though, and I'm paying much more attention to wands and potions than I normally do. I'm enjoying the experience.

Pongo

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

June 24th, 2019, 21:47
I barely got into vale of shadows before i run out of gold,but then,is my first time playing Icewind Dale,i don't know how difficulty some enounters are.

But one thing i noticed is the items are crazy expensive compared to Baldur's Gate

Neritikes

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 24th, 2019, 21:56
Originally Posted by Neritikes View Post
I tried to beat Icewind Dale without reload(except for permanently death),so if my characters happens to die i have to spent gold to revive them in the temple,but is too hard ! i have to give up once i reached a point where i didn't have enough money to revive them !

But the battles are more exciting that way and is scary to rest when you party is injured !
I've done no reload on BGs and IWD and NWN (except like you said instagib death). It made me more cautious as it gets expensive.
Also screw level drain mechanics… worst snowball consequence every!

Single charactered my way through Pool of Radiance Ruins of Myth Dranor. Very enjoyable.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

June 24th, 2019, 22:03
I hope you're all doing it on Core Rules and no weird difficulty higher or lower shenanigans!

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

June 25th, 2019, 00:33
I did some iron man runs back in the day, but I don't think I'd have the tolerance for that now. Of course, as I type this I just spent almost an hour leveling up the Love augment in Final Fantasy four, so take my comments with several grains of salt!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)

June 25th, 2019, 06:18
I've never tried a no reloads playthrough but beating Icewind Dale and its expansions in Heart of Fury mode remains on my to do list; despite having beaten the game many times since first playing it back in 2002.

One themed party I started but never got far with was an "all cleric" group. I think the save might be on my EE. These kinds of party concepts can really refresh tactical ideas with the infinity engine games and force one to try different approaches.

I also had an idea to do a "let's play" journal of sorts with a "dwarves of doom" party. Maybe that'll be my heart of fury game.

I think the craziest achievement I've read about for Icewind Dale back in the day would definitely be Midget Gems "no-levelling" playthrough with a party of Gnomes…
--
Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

June 25th, 2019, 08:18
Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
I also had an idea to do a "let's play" journal of sorts with a "dwarves of doom" party. Maybe that'll be my heart of fury game.
If enjoy reading about that.

Pongo

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Anyone else tried to beat Icewind Dale without reload