What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Could I watch Conspiracy of Faith without bothering with the first two?
You can as the story is standalone. The only thing you'll miss how the department was created and why, but it doesn't matter there.

Hmmm, it's hard to remember what I've already suggested and what I didn't…
Maybe this one, quite unusual topic and equally unusual execution, you won't be bored:
Woman at War
It was on tour on worldwide film festivals, not sure if it finally went into cinema/stream/opticalmedia distribution so can't say where to watch it.

Above Majestic. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9143304/

Supposedly this is "the video the internet doesn't want you to see."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3iQBU7xFwo (note the 24K upvotes)

Wow. Then it must be some good shit!!!1 i'm totally up for it.

It begins with hilariously bad CGI of Nazi submarines floating through space.

Here's a direct quote from the "documentary";
"one of the ways the nazis obtained their advanced technology was the use of a channeler called Maria Orsic. Maria Orsic was channeling telepathic messages from extraterrestrials that were offering her plans and schematics.
Maria channeled this information for the occult Vril Society in Germany."

I get the impression that people are getting more stupid by the minute. Would something like this had this many upvotes 10 years ago, a 6.8 score on IMDB, which is rather decent for a low budget documentary, no?

(i don't think i will be finishing this.. and its not because "the internet" doesnt want me to see it :lol:)

Yeah, that was pretty good. :)

What should I watch next?

Could I watch Conspiracy of Faith without bothering with the first two?

They're best watched in sequence.

Personally, I think they're all decent popcorn crime movies, much like the books are popcorn mainstream crime novels.

If you want the best of Scandinavian crime drama, I would look elsewhere.

But they're entertaining - and the two main protagonists make a very cute couple.

Silly old dart again. :)
Don't listen to him, when something comes from Denmark his reaction is always "meh".
If it was about only two first movies, I'd let it go without reply. Those two are above average, but not earthshaking works. So I'd just put it into different taste box and move on. But the other two?

Consp. Faith caused loud unhappiness from certain religious people - who failed to see what's it really about. Classic scratching where it itches.
Journal64 is the top piece of art that points on what's wrong in the society (as every art should) and it doesn't pick one moment but digs both past and present. It already drew out neonazi worms of course. Expect plenty of 1/10 on imdb from facists when it really goes worldwide distribution. There is nothing popcorn in it, it's made to criticize the certain brain sickness in form of a crime movie (okay, book) and it delivers. Just as it happens with not popcorn, it'll cause love from some people and hate from others. Popcorn wants to please everyone, this movie just won't.

And those two mains? If I was to describe them, there is one word I'd never use. Cute. They just aren't. Which, in my case, is a positive thing.

Last edited:
Silly old Dart! What's wrong with Denmark, huh?!

I'm not necessarily looking for a good crime drama. I'm not really into police drama shows, to be honest. But if it's good enough it might be worth a look.

There is a Scandinavian crime drama I'm looking forward to Too Old to Die Young from that Refn guy. His movies seem to always flop at the box office but I've enjoyed most of them. The Pusher remake had an awesome soundtrack. Anything with a synthwave or electronic original soundtrack might be worth a look. Give this a listen. :)

I also don't like super-heroes so Hollywood is pretty dead for me, these days. Don't like anime either. Wish I did because there's a lot of it.

I'm really looking for more movies like Climax? Provocative, maybe shocking, unique, less talking; more visual, maybe horror... More like Lars Von Trier? You know what I mean?

David Lynch is alright but I'd prefer less intentionally confusing and more artistic.

I like Kubricks films. I like good cinematography, depth and hidden meanings.

A few interesting films I've seen recently were Starry Eyes, Upstream Colour, Mother, etc.

IMDB is pretty good at suggesting interesting movies through the lists people make, but I'm sure there's others out there I'm missing. :)

Refn is style-over-substance in 9 out of 10 movies. He IS a master of style, though.

He's what I'd call a typical suffering artist. You should listen to him whine about himself in interviews :)

The original Pusher was fantastic, though.

If you want quality Danish cinema - you probably need to ignore most of the more visible international releases.

The Guilty is a recent exception, that was absolutely brilliant. It also plays to our strengths, which has always been the drama, the acting and the script.

We've certainly upped our game in terms of world-wide appeal, and I'm glad so many Danish actors are getting recognised for their talent.

That said, for instance, Mads Mikkelsen has become overexposed and mostly seems to star in pointless spectacle stuff these days. To me, he's become just another Hollywood cog.

But if you look at his work from the 90s - including Pusher and a handful of others - you will see some major-league talent.

As for joxer, he's got me all wrong - like he gets most things all wrong.

He likes everything that's dark - even if it's just for the sake of it. I guess that's why Scandivian entertainment works so well for him.

It begins with hilariously bad CGI of Nazi submarines floating through space.

Might give this a look. Always down for a comedy! xD

I had this crazy as fuck girlfriend who told me about David Wilcock. She'd cleanse her magic stones under the moonlight and stuff. Real short relationship!

I'm really looking for more movies like Climax? Provocative, maybe shocking, unique, less talking; more visual, maybe horror… More like Lars Von Trier? You know what I mean?
Basically you want nonmainstream, unique and at not dull material. Don't we all? :)
Try Gräns aka Border next.

I'm not saying you'll love it, just promising it's something you didn't see before. ;)
Back in the day I asked a certain friend of mine did he watch Greek Wedding and he replied no, the main actresss is ugly. Well, ex friend.
Border is not a movie for audience that shallow.

Refn is style-over-substance in 9 out of 10 movies. He IS a master of style, though.

He's what I'd call a typical suffering artist. You should listen to him whine about himself in interviews :)

The original Pusher was fantastic, though.
Style is good, I like style. :)

I think Kevin Smiths movies are extremely over-rated and boring. It's all just talking. Talk is cheap. But I also find I zone out during most explosive action sequences in movies.
If you want quality Danish cinema - you probably need to ignore most of the more visible international releases.

The Guilty is a recent exception, that was absolutely brilliant. It also plays to our strengths, which has always been the drama, the acting and the script.

We've certainly upped our game in terms of world-wide appeal, and I'm glad so many Danish actors are getting recognised for their talent.

That said, for instance, Mads Mikkelsen has become overexposed and mostly seems to star in pointless spectacle stuff these days. To me, he's become just another Hollywood cog.

But if you look at his work from the 90s - including Pusher and a handful of others - you will see some major-league talent.
I might give The Guilty a look. It's more police drama though, isn't it? What are some of the less visible ones?

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of Stellan Skarsgard. He's always good value.

As for joxer, he's got me all wrong - like he gets most things all wrong.

He likes everything that's dark - even if it's just for the sake of it. I guess that's why Scandivian entertainment works so well for him.
Dark is good, too. Dark and style!

Style is good, I like style. :)

I think Kevin Smiths movies are extremely over-rated and boring. It's all just talking. Talk is cheap. But I also find I zone out during most explosive action sequences in movies.

Lack of style doesn't automatically mean substance.

The early Kevin Smith movies were pretty good, in my opinion. But he ceased to be relevant a long time ago.

I might give The Guilty a look. It's more police drama though, isn't it? What are some of the less visible ones?

They wouldn't appeal to you :)

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of Stellan Skarsgard. He's always good value.

He's also not Danish :)

Dark is good, too. Dark and style!

I like dark, too. But I still emphasize substance above all.

Basically you want nonmainstream, unique and at not dull material. Don't we all? :)
Try Gräns aka Border next.

I'm not saying you'll love it, just promising it's something you didn't see before. ;)
Back in the day I asked a certain friend of mine did he watch Greek Wedding and he replied no, the main actresss is ugly. Well, ex friend.
Border is not a movie for audience that shallow.

Getting Border.

What's Greek Wedding? Is that My Big Fat Greek Wedding? Been to a few of those! Worth it for the lamb spit roast, alone! :)

What's Greek Wedding? Is that My Big Fat Greek Wedding?
Yes. :)
And I loved it. Ain't it strange? :D
To clarify a bit more, I loved the movie. Apparently there were some spinoff series later but I didn't want to watch those (obvious milking of a story already done).

The new Dune movie is progressing well, and I believe it's ready too start filming.

Link - https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1040441-dune-movie-release-date-set-for-november-2020

Lets hope we get another Dune RTS game in the future also.:please:

I admire their sticktoittiveness trying to make these movies but I think they are doomed. Dune is just not something that translates to screen. The books are too thin with detail and your brain fills in much faster reading than the big screen can deliver in under 3 hours. Hence the mess in 1984 - which was a pretty faithful adaptation to be honest. You need 8+ hours to do it justice and so far only LOTR has done that successfully. Huge risk trying that with Dune. It just doesn't have the character depth and it is too political not to come across like a mottled mess. Happy to be proven wrong though I'm a big fan of the flawed 84 effort.

Darth Tagnan said:
The early Kevin Smith movies were pretty good, in my opinion. But he ceased to be relevant a long time ago.
Yeah, I liked Mall Rats in my teens then I couldn't get through Chasing Amy. I guess I thought, what was it? Cool guy Jesus from Dogma was pretty funny. Just seems like many peers think he makes the best movies ever but they're really not.

Darth Tagnan said:
He's also not Danish :)
Scandinavian, though, right? You've all the the same flag with different colours? :)

Darth Tagnan said:
I like dark, too. But I still emphasize substance above all.
What is substance? Is it just depth? I think you can get a lot of depth without having to say a word.

Yes. :)
And I loved it. Ain't it strange? :D
To clarify a bit more, I loved the movie. Apparently there were some spinoff series later but I didn't want to watch those (obvious milking of a story already done).

Yeah, I saw it too long ago to remember but it was fun and enjoyable. Didn't get bored and turn it off. :)

Back
Top Bottom