The TV Series discussion thread

Twin Peaks only gets better with rewatches, and the third series has truly grown on me, if you take it as a long movie rather than episodic it seems to make more sense. I'm really hoping for a fourth series at some point, or perhaps another film.

I've also heard rumours and discussions that Lynch is trying to get another season made. Hope he manages to. I wonder how "The Return" did financially.

I've just finished Fire Walk With Me - The Missing Pieces, and I think I'm overdosing on Twin Peaks for the past week or so. In the sense that I just got out of bed after trying to fall asleep for the past 1.5h. I kept going from dream to waking up, back to dream, back up. And while dreaming it was always something Twin Peaks related. I'm not sure what, but I always woke up agitated and gasping for breath.

It's really making me uneasy. It weird, I don't remember it having this effect the first times I saw it. Must be in conjunction with something else. But I have been overly obsessed with the series in the past week. I've already got a 4h analysis video of the series lined up for when I'm done with season 3.

I really like the original two seasons of Twin Peaks and consider them classics, but Fire Walk With Me was forgettable, and I didn't care much for Season 3.

Me and wife are watching Netflix's Freud. The first episode is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen on a TV show, and my wife even considered giving the series up. I convinced her otherwise and now we're about to watchi the final episode. It took us two episodes to get a hang on it.

Watched the first season of Mythic Quest (created Rob McElhenney from It's Always Sunny), a comedy show about the day to day managment of a MMORPG studio.
It's an hilarious and pretty clever sitcom about work environment (kind of like Silicon Valley), but the video game part, however, is complete bullshit.
Seems like TV hollywood still have no clue what video games actually are, so it's full of moments when every gamers will think: "well, that's just not how video games work".
Still a good watch.

Also just started Toast of London, and I have no words.
It's perfection.
I'm gonna grow a moustache for full immersion.

5 episodes into Twin Peaks: The Return, and I'm loving it. It's a reall mind-fuck, as you'd expect from Lynch.

One thing which surprised me is how well/appropriate some of the aged actors feel in the series. Them actually being 25 years old somehow grants certain scene great emotional punch. I particularly liked seeing James again, but by far was the emotional reaction of older Bobby to seeing/remembering Laura Palmer.

It's weird, sometimes this sort of thing comes off cheap and exploitative as capitalizing on your emotional investment, but as it's an absolute miracle the 3rd season got made, it comes off as very honest and heartfelt.

I was surprised to react this way to actual passing of time even though I had just seen this characters the previous week. i guess I got really attached to some of the characters. Which speaks volumes to how well they were written/portrayed in the original series, I guess.

The only negative thing so far was Cooper taking so long to readjust escaping from the Black Lodge. All the comedy antics he gets himself into are getting a bit annoying. I wish they'd get to him getting back to his old self faster. I hope they don't take too long to get there.

I've been watching a ton of cartoons lately. Mostly catching up on missed seasons.

South Park
American Dad
Family Guy
Simpsons

The only negative thing so far was Cooper taking so long to readjust escaping from the Black Lodge. All the comedy antics he gets himself into are getting a bit annoying. I wish they'd get to him getting back to his old self faster. I hope they don't take too long to get there.

raw

As someone who hasn't watched much TV is the last 5-6 years and hasn't kept up with anything that has come out, can someone recommend me some good sci-fi or maybe fantasy? During the lockdown I have watched Picard, Discovery and Altered Carbon. I've also watched Walking dead, Game of Thrones and Witcher. Apart from that nothing at all. So what else would you recommend I watch? I liked all of the shows I mentioned.

edit: Only genre I really don't want is superhero stuff.

I'd recommend checking out Carnival Row. I'm assuming you've seen Westworld?

Haven't seen or heard of either. I'll check them out thanks.

Better Call Saul wrapper up a stellar series. The next one is likely going to be even better!!

All the recent deaths would make any new iterations of Twin Peaks problematic, I think. It will be intriguing to see what Lynch/Frost do, if anything. There are also some decent fan interpretation films worth checking out.

Better Call Saul wrapper up a stellar series. The next one is likely going to be even better!!

I keep hearing pretty much universal acclaim for it. And I understand the next season is the final one? Great, I'll then be able to binge both BCS and BB. :D

I've been watching a ton of cartoons lately. Mostly catching up on missed seasons.

South Park
American Dad
Family Guy
Simpsons

Me too but not those.

Someone told me about the Amazing Adventures of Gumball so I have been watching more of that but what came as a surprise cartoon watch was Teen Titans Go. They basically dumbed down the animation of the prior iteration of Teen Titans (ran 5 seasons) and made it hilarious instead of serious super hero action. It weirdly has the same accomplished voice actors.

To give an example of the type of show it is, one Episode called Teen Titans Roar is about the Titans kicking it in their club house (Tower), sitting on the couch and waiting to watch the new version of Thunder Cats Roar.(a real new show) The show comes on and they see that the animation is totally dumbed down and its ludicrous not serious. So they get mad and decided to start a petition to get rid of the show and make Warner Brothers do the show over the right way. They figure 100 signatures should do it.

They also recently had a movie (Teen Titans vs Teen Titans Go)where they had to battle the prior version of them selves. One of the main antagonist was Mrs. Claus.

Cartoon network runs Teen Titans Go just about every day in about 3, 2 hours stints. Each show is 30 minutes and contains two episodes. There are a ton of commercials but they take me back to my younger days of toys and candy and not pharma and insurance companies.

I started watching Tales from the Loop on amazon prime.
It's start is a bit slow. Its about a town with a mysterious artefact and strange things happening. The first episode wasn't bad and I'm halfway through the second one. I'll give it a few more episodes to see where its going with it but I'm not too optimistic for now...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It's start is a bit slow. Its about a town with a mysterious artefact and strange things happening. The first episode wasn't bad and I'm halfway through the second one. I'll give it a few more episodes to see where its going with it but I'm not too optimistic for now…

Saw that in the queue last night, it's next on my list. Supposed to be based on some fantasy painter artist guy dude's paintings . . . . I'll couple that viewing with the documentary about the Rainman like Women twins. Who remember everything. The plot synopsis ends like this: You will never forget them and they will never forget you.

Amazon has a bunch of new(2016 forward) Twilight Zone like anthologies. Plus they have the old ones like Ray Bradbury theater and outer limits. Most of the new ones really are not that good so I just search the episode description and go from there. Tales from the loop looked to have about 3 really good episodes and two interesting episodes and the remaining three look questionable, but . . . I'm in.

It's start is a bit slow. Its about a town with a mysterious artefact and strange things happening. The first episode wasn't bad and I'm halfway through the second one. I'll give it a few more episodes to see where its going with it but I'm not too optimistic for now…

I´m very fond of the paintings but they feel very rooted in a late 70s early 80s sweden
https://www.simonstalenhag.se/

So I´m quite wary of a tv-series built upon them set in middle america

Lately I´ve been completely sucked in by the different lego master shows
They are in a reality format that i abhor they try to inject stupid cheap reality show excitement still I really like to watch fantastic lego builds

If anyone would like to give it a try I would recommend the australian version as the least grating

Back
Top Bottom