2019 - An exciting year to look forward to in RPG gaming.

skally_wag

Sentinel
Most anticipated, in no particular order.

1. Disco Elysium
2. Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest
3. Realms Beyond
4. The Outer Worlds
5. Gloomhaven
6. Wasteland 3
7. Encased
8. Greedfall
9. The Iron Oath
10. Operencia: The Stolen Sun
11. Fell seal
12. Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
13. Copper Dreams
14. Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness
15. Cyberpunk 2077 (maybe)
16. Mages Initiation

These are the ones that come to mind or I've been following, am I missing any?

Some of those I don't care about at all (sorry), but two missing on that list you could find fun too come in mind.

- My Time at Portia is supposed to be released in a couple of months (currently in early access)

- It's unclear if Death Stranding is Sony exclusive, it's also unclear if it's RPG, but is supposed to be released in this year

Good list. I do hope for Black Geyser but with so few material updates it may become the next Grimoire

I'm looking forward to Realms Beyond the most but I doubt it will be released in 2019.

Druidstone also has my attention, I think it is due to be released in Q2 2019.

Black Geyser will be something I really love if done well but I don't have much faith in this one given very disappointing kickstarter campaign and lack of updates with meaningful information.

My observation is not many big budget RPGs being released in 2019 again, but will be a good year for crowdfunding and indie games, or as they say middle market games.:)

Last edited:
I've never even heard of some of those titles. Outside of Cyberpunk and Outer Worlds, neither of which I think will be released this year, I can't say I'm really excited about most of that list.

Greedfall does look interesting though, and I've got my eye on Wasteland 3 and Disco Elysium as well.

For me, this looks to be a bigger year for quality FPS titles with games like Metro Exodus, Rage 2, and Doom Eternal on the horizon.

Well for me bethesda will likely lock their games into their platform so that only leaves Metro Exodus; having said that where did Disco Elysium come from - wasn't it renamed or something from some other name?

I expect druidstone to be good with hope for greedfall and stygian (though neither of those two are guaranteed).
-
Not sure if wasteland 3 is going to make it out this year; they've been much quieter on the development than they were with wasteland 2.

Some more to add, I can't be sure they will be released in 2019:

Planet Stronghold 2
I played recently the first which is an old game of the dev, and now I'm waiting this one. The base for the 1 is quite like Mass Effect which obviously influenced the first, with a hub and companions, planets vehicle exploration is areas exploration of the planet. Combats are pure front to front turn based 2D but they surprised me, it's one of the best front to front that I ever played. There's only 4 classes around 24 skills including 8 non combat skills. The classes have some skills that increase faster for each skill point spend. For a low budget it's still quite good. There's no dungeons, a dugeon is series of dialogs and combats, it's not as bad than it looks, even more when you know how bad tend be modern RPG for exploration. And it fits the 2D combats.

Fort Triumph
I pledged it, it is already Eearly Access, I think I'll get my key only at release, fine I don't want play Early Access. Now does it feel more like a RPG or like an XCOM like I don't know yet. What's sure is there's a design focus on combats design, missions, and recently they added a skirmish mode, so perhaps more XCOM. At kickstarter it was looking more like a Tactical RPG, now it could have evolves more to XCOM like.

Arcadian Atlas
It targets combats like Final Fantasy Tactic, eventually more full RPG but still a Tactic RPG approach, for example you really enter in a shop in 2D iso and it seems there are exploration areas, unlike in FFT. I wonder if it's possible that it is released in 2019. It looks too ambitious but I have good hope on it.

Synstasis
Not sure, perhaps more adventure with RPG elements. Sigh no Mac release but Linux seems planned. It's bizarre, it looks like a real time RPG but it's clearly mentioned turn based.

Biomutant
Not sure, perhaps more a Diablo variation but with more effort on RPG aspects other than combats and related. Windows only.

Galaxy Squad
Probably more XCOM like, otherwise Tactical RPG. Already in Early Access, Windows only.

Eden Falling
Turn based, and based on the tabletop but seems really like a full RPG coming. Windows only. Quite possible that it won't be 2019, it looks very ambitious.

Cyberpunk may be out but there's no way it will be ready. CDPR is particularly good about fixing up their games and even putting in some extra features so best to play that one several months to a year after it releases.

I'm really looking forward to the games from 2018 that will be fixed up nicely in 2019. Kingmaker, Bard's Tale 4, Deadfire (pretty much ready right now!), Mutant Year 0, Kenshi, X4: Foundations... jeez, that last could take up the last third of the year easily. Oh, and BattleTech will be getting more expansions. Civ 6 should be good for the Fall sale, if I need a break from the X-verse.

Only RPGs I'm looking forward to this year are Tales of Vesperia remaster(ish) which I never played the original and Atelier Lulua.

Fort Triumph
I pledged it, it is already Eearly Access, I think I'll get my key only at release, fine I don't want play Early Access. Now does it feel more like a RPG or like an XCOM like I don't know yet. What's sure is there's a design focus on combats design, missions, and recently they added a skirmish mode, so perhaps more XCOM. At kickstarter it was looking more like a Tactical RPG, now it could have evolves more to XCOM like.

Could be good, One I am looking forward to that is XCOM like is Phoenix Point.

I'm looking forward to the developers of Kenshi to get motivated again to add new features as well as an English translation of Scroll of Taiwu.

Last edited:

Fort Triumph

Could be good, One I am looking forward to that is XCOM like is Phoenix Point.
Yes it could. For Phoenix Point, I pledged it, and I have good hope for the combats side.

For the strategy side, I'm a bit worry that it could be as cold and non appealing than X-Com or Master of Orion that got awful writing and terrible SF talents. Strategy games that didn't work well on the base appeal tend be games I play a bit and forget forever. And frankly even with a nice appeal, I don't care much of this aspect. It could come back, but I'm in a period where I lost my appeal to strategy games, even last sub genre still attracting me, 4X, now fails.

Yes it could. For Phoenix Point, I pledged it, and I have good hope for the combats side.

For the strategy side, I'm a bit worry that it could be as cold and non appealing than X-Com or Master of Orion that got awful writing and terrible SF talents. Strategy games that didn't work well on the base appeal tend be games I play a bit and forget forever. And frankly even with a nice appeal, I don't care much of this aspect. It could come back, but I'm in a period where I lost my appeal to strategy games, even last sub genre still attracting me, 4X, now fails.

Yes, same here, they don't quite do it for me at the moment, although I do have high hopes for phoenix point. I've still yet to play XCOM 2, its sitting in my backlog, I was put off when I read that a lot of the missions were on a timer, that's a big No No for me, hate timers, however I think they have now incorporated a way you can turn the timer off.

Some RPG & RPG Hybrid's to add for 2019.:)

Anthem
Alaloth
The Surge 2
Indivisible
Dragon Age: Dread Wolf Rise ?
Code Vein
Biomutant
Hellpoint
Unsung Story: Tales of the Guardians ?
Iron Danger
Shenmue 3
Rune
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord ?
Warhammer Chaosbane
Edge of Eternity
Elex 2?
Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods
Wasteland 3
Lords of the Fallen 2 ?
Iratus: Lord of the Dead
Two Worlds II: Shattered Embrace ?
Underrail: Expedition
Long Gone Days
Consortium: The Tower ?
Rain of Reflections ?

? = Not sure if it will RELEASE in 2019 but internet lists say it will.

Yes, same here, they don't quite do it for me at the moment, although I do have high hopes for phoenix point. I've still yet to play XCOM 2, its sitting in my backlog, I was put off when I read that a lot of the missions were on a timer, that's a big No No for me, hate timers, however I think they have now incorporated a way you can turn the timer off.
I watched the video, I hope they don't go too far in players expectations. There's two potential problem, burden too much play a turn because of too many possibilities, lost too much control of difficulty because of too many possibilities.

Some RPG & RPG Hybrid's to add for 2019.:)

Anthem
Alaloth
The Surge 2
Indivisible
Dragon Age: Dread Wolf Rise ?
Code Vein
Biomutant
Hellpoint
Unsung Story: Tales of the Guardians ?
Iron Danger
Shenmue 3
Rune
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord ?
Warhammer Chaosbane
Edge of Eternity
Elex 2?
Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods
Wasteland 3
Lords of the Fallen 2 ?
Iratus: Lord of the Dead
Two Worlds II: Shattered Embrace ?
Underrail: Expedition
Long Gone Days
Consortium: The Tower ?
Rain of Reflections ?

? = Not sure if it will RELEASE in 2019 but internet lists say it will.

I would love to see Elex 2 come out this year, really enjoyed 1, although I cant see it happening or Dragons age 4. Underrail Expeditions that's a day one purchase for me.

Another hybrid RPG for 2019 that I'm looking forward to: Mechwarrior 5. :)

Another hybrid RPG for 2019 that I'm looking forward to: Mechwarrior 5. :)
Me to it looks like BattleTech with action based combat and better graphics.

Don't forget Phoenix Point also if you like Strategy games with RPG mechanics.

Back
Top Bottom