The TV Series discussion thread

How about no.
There is no best one. There are only good and stupid ones.

Your "classic" example is something I've never heard about. The poster does resemble Killer Tomatoes from Outer Space 547856436737ology, so maybe it's classic among trash fans but I cannot confirm that. Now trash and horror are not the same genre. Just as other genre hybrids, trash horrors exist though.

A jumpscare that needs to yell "BOO!" in your ear? It's trash. Not horror.

You haven't even seen it yet you judge. Naughty naughty. If it makes you jump, it WORKED. Simple as that. Fuck that Killer Tomato/Murderous Car Tire From Outer Space bullshit. I wouldn't watch garbage like that even if you held a new Star Wars movie on blu-ray to my head. But The Monster That Challenged The World IS the one. There is no other greater jump-scare in cinema. None. Nada.

If it makes you jump, it WORKED. Simple as that.
Yea, a bad coffee doesn't mean it's laxative. It works, simple as that, but it just isn't - it's a bad coffee.

I have to admire Hitch's utter non-use of music or sound cues to scare the bejeezus out of people in The Birds though. When I saw that scene with the dead farmer with his eyes pecked out, edited in three quick shots - long, medium, and close-up (a technique James Whale was fond of in his horror) - it was the most shocking thing I saw as a kid, aside from ambulatory giant glistening turds in movies like Caltiki The Immortal Monster (1959) or TMTCTW ;)

These are some examples of good supernatural horror scenes in my opinion. It's all about suspenseful buildup and dramatic effect. Not shock.

Jump scares are a tool, I'm fine with them when used properly, the problem is when the movies are based on jump scares to deliver the horror, that is not the case for THoHH, at least not for me.

……..jumpscares ofc that went wrong. Try to imagine Hitchcock's oven killing scene from Torn Curtain in "modern" Hollywood. Not ever gonna happen. Too graphic? No it is not.
Too scary? But of course. How can killing a man last so long? Dumb audience expects impossible assassins and litres of blood, not real stuff!
Hitchcock's scenes scare off the dumb ticket payers, screw people with taste.

Man, I've been trying to tell people of that scene for months now having re-seen the movie earlier this year. One of the most intense fight scenes ever created on film. Everybody in the room watching the movie was in awe.

I'm not surprised that Netflix cancelled yet another Marvel show. I suspect they'll all be wiped out shortly, with Disney doing their own online thing in the upcoming future. None of the comic shows that Disney controls appeal to me in the slightest, they mess up the past history so badly that the characters are hardly even recognizable to me.

That sucks about Luke Cage, that was my favourite of the Marvel Netflix shows.

These are some examples of good supernatural horror scenes in my opinion. It's all about suspenseful buildup and dramatic effect. Not shock.
<5 clips>
Those 5 movies… IMO:
Neverheard
Neverheard
Good
Fantastic
Masterpiece!

But… This ain't movies thread. Not saying it's offtopic completely. ;)
I'm not surprised that Netflix cancelled yet another Marvel show.
I'm not surprised either, there are simply too many superheros movies and shows. Sadly, I liked Luke Cage first season so I'm kinda sad seeing it axed.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm not even sure how a beast like Netflix is sustaining itself without going into massive debt. Ten bucks a month per viewer/family isn't going to off-set original television programming for very long. If it was all just old, syndicated stuff I could see it maybe working eventually, but at some point something is going to give on the current model. Either more content is going to be cut, or at some point there will be a massive price hike.

No price hike, no cuts and no reason to be concerned - it's business as usual and almost without risks. $2 billion? Only? I've expected at least $10. And they'll double the profit from that investment. At least.

Adapt to think on global scale. Netflix is not operating in one small town with a few hundreds of families, man.
Do check the current #2 strongest economy in the world please:
https://www.investopedia.com/insights/worlds-top-economies/
That whole (China) economy is based on microtransactions thanks to free shipping within the country which cuts costs to worldwide distribution regardless of Trump's taxes. And it's physical goods. Just imagine the possible profit, obviously through microtransactions, based on free shipping of entertainment worldwide. It's just stream, no physical packaging, no plastic, no burning, no printing, no transport via train, ship or airplane, nothing!

Microtransactions are nothing new, I've said before, religious groups used the concept for thousands of years. What's new is the worldwide market, a market so huge, a market impossible in history.

More on the matter (so you have some numbers from major gaming industry companies that push microtransactions):

Of course it's not completely comparable - with your Netflix subscription you don't see just a part of a movie then have to pay more to watch the rest of it, but I never said Netflix is a scammer selling impaired products with a plan to milk you to get the rest of it like EA does. But you get the idea. I hope. :)

EDIT:
Have to add something. I believe everyone here tried a phonegame. Almost all of those are "pay not to play". Right? It would take decades of playing to get something in a phonegame, so people pay to skip the playing part.
Imagine what the world would look like if Netflix charged you not to watch it's content and you happily threw your money to Netflix.
Ridiculous? Stupid? Impossible? Never say never, it worked on phones. :)

Last edited:
I know I'm not the target audience for services such as Netflix. I did try it for a year or so, but since coming back to the States, I've not renewed it, and I doubt I ever will. Cable television, that has local programming, PBS, and the sports that I must have are of far higher value to me. I suspect that, sometime in the future, we'll just have one big old box that provides all our entertainment.

I suspect that, sometime in the future, we'll just have one big old box that provides all our entertainment.
Not all our entertainment, I hope. I don't want to fuck a big old box :'(

Neither EA nor WB will ask you what you want. And you'll still pay for it. :p

I get NetFlix free. I bought an Amazon Fire TV stick off of eBay about 8 months ago that was listed as "New" but when I hooked it up it had an active Netflix account with several family members listed. They were all Indian names. Still enjoying my free Netflix movies and TV series 8 months later :) It's the one time I purchased something advertised as new that was actually used where I can't complain... at all. There may not be such a thing as a free lunch but there's certainly such a thing as a free NetFlix account. Thank you, Vihaan and family.

The network says the series was developed by “Rick and Morty” writer and executive producer Mike McMahan.
Can't stand Rick and Morty. Easy pass from me.

Back
Top Bottom