Realms Beyond - Kickstarter Live

Interesting topic re: localisation. Not that I don't feel non native speakers pain, I still think its best to experience the game in native language. I saw some of Korean localisation version, it was pretty horrific. I suppose some may rather play in their language even though the translation isn't perfect but that certainly wasn't the case for me.

In this specific case I agree voiceacting is a bad idea, because I'm not even sure they will have enough money to make the game as currently planned.

I backed of course. I got a question for @HobGoblin42; though, will you have any add-ons for the pledges? I would really like to add a second copy of the game to my pledge so I can donate it to a future Watch giveaway.

Yes, I wanted to add that "Add-ons" section today but had too much work with Twitter, comments on KS and our updates.
Just add 25 EUR and get another digital copy (Steam or DRM free 99% Gog.com)

The editor might be the clincher for me. I'm a huge fan of Farscape, and there is an official d20 Farscape ruleset as well as an official Farscape action RPG that is horrible but has a good story and voice acting by the show's cast. It would be neat for someone to extract the art/sound assets and use them in a new game/mod using this engine.

Just need to send wesp5 copies of both games so he can look at the nuts and bolts and see if this is feasible. It depends on how much stuff can be extracted from the Farscape video game.

Last edited:
"the ridiculous demand" "You must be crazy"

Was that you mean those as compliments?

Anyway, I take your post us a apology and I accept it.

:cool:

…………..
Οn our subject:

Other goals that can be pleased, can be done with minimal or no real cost.
This may be logical from the developer's perspective but it isn't make the game better.

I just did some math crunching of what they have so far...they have raised $34,081 out of 746 backers. That means an average of $45.68 per backer. If that average continues, they will need approximately 2,500 total backers (which would be like a thousand bucks short of the overall goal, but close enough for my purposes) which means they have to more than triple the number of backers they have right now.

I think it is going fairly well so far, but have not really watched the kickstarters before that closely, so not really sure if this current fundraising pace is considered good or not.

I just did some math crunching of what they have so far…they have raised $34,081 out of 746 backers. That means an average of $45.68 per backer. If that average continues, they will need approximately 2,500 total backers (which would be like a thousand bucks short of the overall goal, but close enough for my purposes) which means they have to more than triple the number of backers they have right now.

I think it is going fairly well so far, but have not really watched the kickstarters before that closely, so not really sure if this current fundraising pace is considered good or not.

I've been trying to find statistics I've read before about KS. I can't remember the exact numbers but I think it was roughly like this: majority of KS that get over 20% of the way funded reach their goal and the chances go up dramatically if the KS reaches 30% or 40%. Very few projects reach ~50% and don't get funded.

Anyway, the fact that they're already about a third of the way to the goal so early in the campaign bodes pretty well. It seems that early momentum is very important as a lot of people don't like backing a crowdfunding project that looks like "it won't make it".

Also with their detailed gameplay video and extensive preview of the game in the description and the work they put into a german translation for a German Kickstarter pseudo page, I have no doubt they already have a roadmap with prepared updates to release to keep up the momentum.

Obsidian & Josh Sawyer have backed the game and tweeted about it which certainly helps. We can hope that a few other famous faces of RPG crowdfunding like MCA, Brian Fargo, & Swen / Larian get behind it too. Kind of irritating that there's not a single English gaming news article about it though (aside from RPGWatch's Gamescom preview). I sent a suggestion to Cliqist to do an article.

Regarding credibility: If you look at the bottom of the kickstarter there is a "Who We Are" section, and it says -- "More than two years ago, we established Ceres Games for the sole purpose of developing a complex party-based RPG that would resurrect those qualities found in the classics of the 80s and 90s. Led by industry veterans Peter Ohlmann and Timothy Drude, among whose numerous titles include The Settlers II, Knights and Merchants, and the SpellForce series, we found other RPG enthusiasts to join our project early on.

Ceres Games is fully independent and not affiliated with any publisher or investor. A successful crowdfunding campaign will allow us to stay on this path.

Our team is currently comprised of international developers who love the computer role-playing games of the past. This passion is the guiding force behind Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen."

Back to my comments: So, at least two developers are named. I'm assuming some people who are into rpgs or work in the industry would know who these guys are. Secondly, I know the Spellforce games were rpgs + real time strategy by doing a google search, and have heard of the Settlers games. Finally, on the Realms Beyond official website, a street address is given --
Ceres Games GmbH
Johann-Clanze-Str. 79
81369 München
Deutschland

If you look that up on Google maps, streetview mode, it shows a smallish white building. Now, if one is being skeptical, one might argue that building is some sort of PO Box place for a mailing address only, or just seems too small for a company, but it sounds like these guys are more about working internationally in a collaboration project anyway. In any event, of course Kickstarter is not without risks, and most people should know they may lose out if the developer fails to deliver for whatever reason.

To me, it seems like a legit kickstarter and company. You can see a picture of them under the Who We Are section when they went to a recent computer games exhibition in Germany called "Gamescom" to show off their game and try to generate interest/publicity, would they really go to this much trouble if it was all a scam? And where would they get all of the gaming footage? (assuming everything is fake)

Anyway, to sum up (sorry for the length of this) I feel very safe in participating on this kickstarter, and as you can see, I try to make sure to investigate things and avoid scams, just as a matter of routine.

Good post, same way I felt. Lots of evidence that's it legit. Easily enough for me to back for 20$.

Back to my question - is Guido involved in this project? I remember he answered a question about the game engine here in the watch's forum.
This was answered on a another thread. From what I remember reading he was involved in the projects beginning, but he left for money reasons. Could be wrong though.

I believe he is responsible for much of the worldbuilding

Back to my question - is Guido involved in this project? I remember he answered a question about the game engine here in the watch's forum.

Here's his tweet about his involvement.

He hasn't been on the team since February. There was a tweet around that time which implied he left in search of a paying gig.

Voice overs can very easily bring a character to life *very quickly* in way which no amount of text can ever accomplish. Doubly so in top down isometric game where you hardly see the charterers. You can very easily guess a person personality with few spoken lines than 100s of written lines. So I completely disagree with the point that it don't add anything essential. But like you say it can be expensive…
True, but that's why you just get VA for a few key lines/dialogues and leave the rest un-VA'ed. There isn't much valid argument in my book for full VA, certainly not for a game of this kind. But that's just my book.

I'm quite positive in my estimation that if they can't put quality voice in their game, they will not make a good game.
Gamers today are an intelligent breed and they will not tolerate mediocrity.

Just had a peek at both this and The Waylanders. The latter has more people contributing but amount wise former is wining.

You don't agree that gamers are generally intellectual? :S
The kind that is interested in this game (Realms Beyond), sure. But your average "gamer" these days, not at all. You probably meant the former, I just thought it was humorous wording.

Back
Top Bottom