Underworld Ascendant - New Website

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The latest newsletter for Underworld Ascendant shares details on deep slugs and announces a new website for the game.

The level is comprised of spaces that are interesting to explore and areas designed to provide a bevy of options for combat, stealth, magic, and interacting with the environment. One of the most fun things to interact with in the world so far is the Deep Slug, which we've mentioned a bit before, but haven't previously shown you up close.

It's an example of what we refer to as an "ambient" creature, which exist in the environment, don't attack on sight, and have useful behaviors that the player can exploit. In short, a tool or toy.

In the Deep Slug's case, it's a peaceful creature that avoids conflict and has a few different useful trails. You can bait it with its favorite foods and its trails will change depending which one it devours.

For instance, if you feed it the fruit of a Ripper (a terrible tree monster), it'll leave behind a flammable trail. Bait it into the patrol path of skeletons or near a wooden platform, apply fire, and enjoy!

If you feed it a Nether Caps? It leaves behind a trail of sight-blocking smoke. Beyond that, we're not saying.

It's not only fun to experiment with, it's often vital when dealing with groups of foes to difficult to tackle one-on-one.

And, it's kind of adorable. In a gross way.

[...]
More information.

This game has as much impact as a butterfly flapping its wings.

Development is slower than I would like, but there's clear progress. While I'm still sceptical, I'm slowly getting a good feeling about this.

Still way more impact than Grimoire turned out to have

Is that why its still in your head? ;) You're not very bright for a 50 year old are you

You can do better than that luj1 ;)

I know it was a low blow bringing up that painful title - but that's kinda what your online persona is about.

No tears now!

If they ever finish dev on this game, and that is a big if, its a D1P for me

Looking forward to the demo/alpha. And hoping the graphic design inspired by spongebob squarepants isn't as prevalent as it was a year or two ago in early trailers.

They seem to have toned down that particular style a bit based on the recent vertical slice.

Still pretty stylised, though. Not my preference - but I think it's understandable given their tiny budget.

Looks pretty good. I just hope there are larger areas, too, with interconnectedness, interesting exploration and a nice-sized scale so we can really get lost in The Stygian Abyss. :)

While still skeptical a bit this is also higher up on my "waiting for" list. Always love an RPG that rewards creativity.

Last edited:
aren't these the folks that are working on system shock first ?

Nope.

There's the System Shock Remake by Night Dive Studios - and then there's System Shock 3 - headed by Warren Spector. AFAIK, they intend to finish UA before they focus on SS3. Not sure, but I think there's a small team working with Spector on SS3 - but it's still in a very early stage.

Confusing. I would think they would all get together and share resources; but thanks for the clarification.

Wouldn't it be cool if all the great developers just joined forces :)

Nah, NDS is a separate company doing their own thing.

I do think the UA/SS3 teams will eventually join forces - but they need to release UA first. It's my understanding that the bulk of the relatively small team is working full-time on UA - and a few people (maybe someone from the outside) are working on SS3 as it's being conceptualized. Not sure if they're still doing that, though.

Keep in mind that this is based on what I've read on various forums. I have no actual insight into what these guys are planning.

Last edited:
I think this is what confuse me:
-
On September 22, 2015, Night Dive Studios released the original System Shock in the Enhanced Edition that adds support for more resolutions and mouselook. Night Dive Studios has since announced it has acquired full rights to the System Shock series, and are considering developing a third title in the series, as well as remakes for both previous titles, working with original concept artist Robert Waters for some of the design.[1]
-
So they own the rights... but to answer my own question:
Separately, OtherSide Entertainment, founded by Looking Glass's founder Paul Neurath, had been able to acquire a license to the System Shock franchise from Night Dive Studios to develop System Shock 3.[77]
=
I guess everyone knows everyone and are willing to be friendly and all that good stuff.

I think this is what confuse me:
-
On September 22, 2015, Night Dive Studios released the original System Shock in the Enhanced Edition that adds support for more resolutions and mouselook. Night Dive Studios has since announced it has acquired full rights to the System Shock series, and are considering developing a third title in the series, as well as remakes for both previous titles, working with original concept artist Robert Waters for some of the design.[1]
-
So they own the rights… but to answer my own question:
Separately, OtherSide Entertainment, founded by Looking Glass's founder Paul Neurath, had been able to acquire a license to the System Shock franchise from Night Dive Studios to develop System Shock 3.[77]
=
I guess everyone knows everyone and are willing to be friendly and all that good stuff.

I don't know why you think a business deal means they all know each other and they're friendly :)

But who knows.

Still, there are no plans that I'm aware of for NDS to work on SS3. They're very busy with the remake - and they're a small team.

Back
Top Bottom