What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Went to see Journey 2 with the youngest in 3D. It has a silly plot and the acting was OK. I've definitely seen Michael Caine giving a better performance before, I found him way below average in this one.
The CGI was good, so if you, like me, are able to not overthink average movies like this you actually might get some enjoyment out of it :)
I'll skip this one for the DVD collection.

Tinker, Sailor, Soldier, Spy - DVD

I just got this out on DVD as I didn't get a chance to see it at the pics. I know everyone's probably raving about it but have to confess I found it a bit hard going. Thought for the trailers it would be a bit more action packed but it was a bit snoozeville for me. I'm guessing I'm probably in the minority judging by the amount of awards and nominations it's getting but hey ho!

Anyone got any ideas for something a bit more exciting?

Thanks

We watched Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1' ... and even having enjoyed at least the first one a bit I was amazed at how bad this was. The acting was already bad, but really stood out here. Also, the production values were atrocious ... makeup changes from shot to shot and other inconsistencies. It really came across as a cynical production that figured the Twi-hards would buy it so why waste money making it good ...

I just got this out on DVD as I didn't get a chance to see it at the pics. I know everyone's probably raving about it but have to confess I found it a bit hard going. Thought for the trailers it would be a bit more action packed but it was a bit snoozeville for me. I'm guessing I'm probably in the minority judging by the amount of awards and nominations it's getting but hey ho!

Anyone got any ideas for something a bit more exciting?

Thanks

If you've missed it back in the day, watch The Usual Suspects. It has a good amount of reasonably spectacular action scenes (given the tight budget; they're going for clever instead of more booom), a very clever script, superb acting and a surprising conclusion. This was the only movie ever I wanted to immediately watch again when I came out of cinema.

Watched The Adventures of Tintin. I read somewhere it's "the most typical Spielberg movie since Hook", and I agree with it. A lot of harmless over the top action. The characters from the comics (highly recommended, read the three comic books this film is based upon) are reasonably correct. The mix of overpainted actors and heavy f/x is a matter of taste.
There's too much of the drunken / not drunken Captain Haddock in the second half and a couple of character building calm scenes would have been useful. Overall it's a surprisingly respectful comic adaptation, even though the charme of the comics has been replaced by flashy technological gimmicks. The last 3rd is a bit weaker than the rest.
B-.

Machine Gun Preacher 2/5. Too drawn out, main character feels wrong.

Adventures of Tintin. 4/5. 3D wasnt very impressive for this movie which disapointed me a little. The characters looks a little too odd sometimes with their _extremely_ large noses, it's like they're from one universe and Tintin from another (Tintin looks quite natural). Other than that i really liked this movie, can't wait for more..

Open Range. A weak 4/5. Surprisingly feel-good for a western (but not in a bad way).

Just watched The Grey.

It was a rather interesting film, with solid ensemble acting, excellent cinematography and a fresh and original approach to the survival horror genre. If it wasn't for the total cop-out ending, it might have been a great pic.

Moon - Good Sci-fi flick. Kinda hard to describe without being spoilerish, but I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes the genre.

Monsters - Very low budget movie but surprisingly good. It's about a man and a woman trying to cross an "infected zone" in Mexico after a deep-space probe crashed in that area and brought alien life back with it. The film is more about the characters than the monsters, and the acting was better than I expected.

Conan the Barbarian (2011)

Yeah I know... why bother, right? I was bored last night and just wanted to watch something with some fantasy-themed combat.

It actually wasn't as bad I was expecting though, and I enjoyed the first half quite a bit. It really fell apart in the second half though, and the final 1/4 was complete crap.

Arnold Schwarzenegger would beat Jason Momoa like a rented mule.

Conan the Barbarian (2011)

Yeah I know… why bother, right? I was bored last night and just wanted to watch something with some fantasy-themed combat.

It actually wasn't as bad I was expecting though, and I enjoyed the first half quite a bit. It really fell apart in the second half though, and the final 1/4 was complete crap.

Arnold Schwarzenegger would beat Jason Momoa like a rented mule.

I tried to warn you about it

I don't like how revealing those trailers are. I still doubt Ridley can get anywhere near Alien - but I'm definitely seeing this in the theater.

Ridley's robin hood was absolutely terrible, but whatever, i'm definitely seeing this in the theater, PG13 or not..

Been watching Fleischer's Superman cartoons from the 40's. I was afraid it would just be a bit of nostalgia, but wow, incredible craftmanship and extremely charming and feel-good to watch :)

Back
Top Bottom