Dragon Age 2 - Shorter but More Cinematic

Yes, but there are as far as I know quite a lot of people out there who rely on opinions.

In general.

And? If people take their opinion as what they think is closest to how they feel then whatever. I personally don't care about reviews in general, but they are most definately subjective. I won't presume to say one person's opinion is better then anothers, that's pretty pretentous. While it's fine to say hey I don't agree with that view I don't see it as ok to comment that someone's personal view is shit.

The one thing that reviewer has over all of your opinions(and mine), is that he has actually played the full game.

Here's where the "opinion" logic is fatally flawed: If everything is only an opinion, then why have any discussion about anything at all? Should we just dump standards entirely? Should we just make games that push the tech, but subsequently have no substance whatsoever? You can take the GECK and make a mod that consists SOLELY of oiled babes with big jiggly boobs running around, engaging in various random sex acts, and then shooting each other with weapons so powerful that the victims explode into a cloud of gore. According to the "opinion" argument, if someone likes that, then my claim that such a mod or game is shit is "only my opinion," and holds no weight whatsoever, regardless of the amount of time, thought, or objectivity that goes into my argument. The "opinion" argument is the cheap and lazy way out for people who can't be bothered to think.

PC Gamer, Gamespot, and the like give some pretty weighted scores, and the amount of praise that they heap on games should immediately clue you in that they're probably more of a marketing apparatus than a serious place to find critiques. Phrases like, "the best cRPG of the last decade," get cheaper and cheaper every time they're used, and should really only be used in retrospect, considering the number of RPGs that are coming out this year. What if The Witcher 2 or Deus Ex succeed in so many ways that they're actually much much better than DA2? PC Gamer, at least, has just compromised whatever journalistic integrity it may have had.

Think critically, people. By that, I don't mean: Drink a big glass of Haterade. It means: Don't just accept what you're told. Do some digging and formulate your OWN thoughts on something, and if you still like it, that's fine, but at least if someone asks you why you like it, you'll be able to answer them in your own words.

From the demo, DA2 is going to be VERY pretty. Regardless of what kind of art style you like, it's going to look great. The female models are a little ridiculous in that just about any one of those women should have chronic back issues, but that's fairly minor. I really wish one of the things they would have streamlined was the blood spatters - dismemberment and blood sprays = fine. I get that the game is supposed to be gritty, but no-one gets covered that much, unless they're splashing in a kiddie pool filled with blood.

The combat animations are pretty good, but they're so fast that I can totally see where people feel uncomfortable with them. The chaos is strangely appealing to me, but at that speed, I wonder how the game can be MORE tactical than DA:O without hitting the spacebar every 3 seconds, if not more.

With the amount of VO and number of cutscenes in this game, I'm really hoping for rock solid performances and really tight writing. This is the biggest sticking point for me, because at least in DA:O, I could say the phrases in my head and make them fit the conversation. The only thing that's worse than playing a badly written game is playing a badly written movie. I'm somewhat apprehensive, because I thought Varric wasn't half bad, but what I've heard of Hawke wasn't nearly as good, and that sucks, because I'm playing Hawke, and I don't want to sound like a douchebag.

From the demo, DA2 is going to be VERY pretty. Regardless of what kind of art style you like, it's going to look great.
Regardless of what kind of art style I like?
So by "pretty" you mean it´ll have hi-res textures, bump mapping and tessellation, right? If so, that´s pretty (no pun intended) limited view on the subject.
Art style, animations or environment design (including level of detail, clutter and so on) are damn important elements when it comes to the overall aesthetic experience games provide.

The combat animations are pretty good, but they're so fast that I can totally see where people feel uncomfortable with them.
There´s another bothersome aspect of DA2´s combat animations - they´re inconsistent. It isn´t as apparent when fighting monsters, but when fighting humanoid opponents it becomes obvious fast - they use pretty much the same animation set as was used in DA:O and are much slower than what party members use.
This also highlights another dubious aspect of DA2´s combat - enemies don´t play by the same rules as player characters - that´s mostly ok in the case of monsters, but, again, in combat against humanoid opponents it bears sense of disconnection. Almost as if party is from one reality and opponents from the other. Verisimilitude, hello?
I recommend watching second part of this video.

Regardless of what kind of art style I like?
So by "pretty" you mean it´ll have hi-res textures, bump mapping and tessellation, right? If so, that´s pretty (no pun intended) limited view on the subject.
Art style, animations or environment design (including level of detail, clutter and so on) are damn important elements when it comes to the overall aesthetic experience games provide.

You are correct, and I didn't take that into account. I guess I haven't seen enough of the game to determine whether or not I'm missing the forest for the trees. I can appreciate a very well designed game, aesthetically, but it's generally not the first on my list of must haves. Unlike a lot of people, I don't have a major problem with the art direction they've gone in, other than what I've previously said about the female models. Generally speaking, cheap titillation is a substitute for mediocre character depth.

There´s another bothersome aspect of DA2´s combat animations - they´re inconsistent. It isn´t as apparent when fighting monsters, but when fighting humanoid opponents it becomes obvious fast - they use pretty much the same animation set as was used in DA:O and are much slower than what party members use.
This also highlights another dubious aspect of DA2´s combat - enemies don´t play by the same rules as player characters - that´s mostly ok in the case of monsters, but, again, in combat against humanoid opponents it bears sense of disconnection. Almost as if party is from one reality and opponents from the other. Verisimilitude, hello?
I recommend watching second part of this video.

I watched the video, and I can see where you're coming from. The issue is kind of meh for me. I'm only concerned that the "tactical" portion of the game is going to devolve into what I just saw - run in and attack, run away, lather, rinse, repeat...

Back
Top Bottom