Do you have an idol? - Page 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Do you have an idol?

Default Do you have an idol?

December 14th, 2018, 23:11
Originally Posted by Ivanwah View Post
Oh, the irony of using memes to call someone else a mindless robot… it's killing me, keep it up
Who's the easier "idol" to follow for a zombie, the one made up by media and celebrities, or an "idol" hated by media, despised by celebrities - one that would take the zombie actual interest, effort and research to follow..?
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

December 14th, 2018, 23:25
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Who's the easier "idol" to follow for a zombie, the one made up by media and celebrities, or an "idol" hated by media, despised by celebrities - one that would take the zombie actual interest, effort and research to follow..?
I don't know, never followed idols myself.

Ivanwah

Sentinel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

December 14th, 2018, 23:41
hated by media, despised by celebrities
Paul the Apostle?
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

December 14th, 2018, 23:47
Originally Posted by Hexprone View Post
Paul the Apostle?
I'd say Trump but Mc Donald's comes second. See both could cure world hunger, or cancer yet be despised by everyone universally. It's the one cosmic truth it seems.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Check out my news Thread it's updated weekly.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

December 15th, 2018, 00:38
I'd say the easiest idol to follow for a zombie is someone with a reeeaally large brain.

Cacheperl

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

December 15th, 2018, 06:15
Not really any idols, but maybe people I respect.

Sir Winston Churchill

I'm somewhat fascinated by WW2. It's probably one of the best examples of a war with true heroes. You can still talk to people alive today who experienced it (a couple decades from now, that will no longer be the case). Also much of the world today is still shaped by its effects.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

December 16th, 2018, 13:42
Idols ?

Well … The closest that comes to that term are musician Mr. Mike Oldfield and writer Mr. Peter S. Beagle … Although I could never read his "Last Unicorn" book. I just cannot, because I would feel so small after reading that. And, of course, Mr. J.R.R. Tolkien. I wish I had access to so many languages as he did.

I think, these are the 3 persons that are coming more closer to the concept of an "idol".

Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Not really any idols, but maybe people I respect.

Sir Winston Churchill

I'm somewhat fascinated by WW2. It's probably one of the best examples of a war with true heroes. You can still talk to people alive today who experienced it (a couple decades from now, that will no longer be the case). Also much of the world today is still shaped by its effects.
There are horrible tales of deaths, rape, robbery, ruins and what not embedded in this. Most media just silence the ugly parts of that to death.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

December 16th, 2018, 23:52
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
There are horrible tales of deaths, rape, robbery, ruins and what not embedded in this. Most media just silence the ugly parts of that to death.
Wait… Are you trying to tell me a WORLD WAR is NOT about rainbows and unicorns?

Who said anything about the media? My grandfather (on my mother's side) was in the British Navy:

And my father lived in the heart of Prague during the entire war.

I guess you could say they're my idols. Especially when my dad was caught writing "Hitler is swine" on some building wall (luckily not by the Germans).
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

December 17th, 2018, 00:30
As I said earlier I don't have idols but I do have anti-idols and they include people like
Donald Trump
Viktor Orbán
Tommy Robinson
and others who represent everything that is bad about humanity. Selfishness; greed; and worse while using and abusing the common folks to achieve.
---

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
+1:

December 17th, 2018, 00:38
Originally Posted by you View Post
And others who represent everything that is bad about humanity. Selfishness; greed; and worse while using and abusing the common folks to achieve.
---
Well based on your criteria that would include every powerful or rich man over 40.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Check out my news Thread it's updated weekly.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

December 17th, 2018, 02:14
No. Not at all. There are some powerful rich men who actually do some fantastic things. A few that have really surprised me.

Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Well based on your criteria that would include every powerful or rich man over 40.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

December 17th, 2018, 22:54
I have deleted another post. Politics should not be discussed in this thread, use P&R.
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post

Eye

Eye Watch
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
+1:

December 22nd, 2018, 15:02
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Wait… Are you trying to tell me a WORLD WAR is NOT about rainbows and unicorns?
My grandfather was in Stalingrad, he said, but get transferred from there because of a wound.

I read about an exhibition about I think the victims of WWII. Very sad stories. I mean, civilists who were dying even although they had nothing to do with that trouble.

I sensed a lot of pain within my grandfather, so I never asked him what happened. He only told me a few things. Being caught by Rusian soldiers, and held in kind of barracks (is that the right word ?) there. Having so litle to eat. Having Pneumonia and never knowing whether he'd come back home at all. My grandmother once being called out from the field work - in a very poor rural area of Germany, in which there is still today not much else than quarries and agriculture. She was called from field work (almost everything around the village is still fields), to meet a certain person. The meeting of my grandparents was told so that I sensed that it was an very emotional moment for both of them. One grandfather of a friend, for example, never came home again.

I'm simply not interested in anything military. I'm interested in the stories behind all that. And there was a lot of pain in for those who became collateral damage.

And I find it sad that video games having WWII as a theme are *never* about civilists. Games are *never* about people defined as "collateral damage".
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

December 23rd, 2018, 18:41
What an interesting way this thread "evolved"

I will refrain from commenting on Vurt's opinion here.

That said, I don't do the whole policeman thing very well. All opinions are welcome and interesting to me, though - obviously - my investment will vary.

Darth Tagnan

Mentioned: Post(s)

January 2nd, 2019, 17:04
Hmm, interesting question. Idol might be too big of a word, but I do admire a few people I suppose.

Elon Musk, for what he's trying to achieve and pushing the boundaries of innovation -- I am a firm believer that man needs to get out and explore the stars, the sooner the better.
JRR Tolkien, for sharing his unbelievingly beautiful Middle-earth with us.
--
Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

January 2nd, 2019, 18:04
Originally Posted by you View Post
As I said earlier I don't have idols but I do have anti-idols and they include people like
Donald Trump
Viktor Orbán
Tommy Robinson
and others who represent everything that is bad about humanity. Selfishness; greed; and worse while using and abusing the common folks to achieve.
---
+ Putin and whole Russian prison…ehm government system. And that guy from North Korea and his lackeys. Could find many more ofc.

Zogar Sag

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Do you have an idol?