Battle Brothers - Tunes from the North - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Battle Brothers - Tunes from the North

Default Battle Brothers - Tunes from the North

March 23rd, 2019, 21:51
A new dev blog for Battle Brothers introduces 'Tunes from the North.'

Dev Blog #119: Tunes from the North

23 Mar @ 2:52am - rapsdjff

Before venturing further into the northlands, let's set the mood this week by taking a closer look at fresh music accompanying the new faction of northern barbarians coming with the "Warriors of the North" DLC. Yup, Breakdown Epiphanies[soundcloud.com] are on board again to add to the game's music. Let's see what they have to say in this week's dev blog!

Tunes from the North

As those of you who have been following Battle Brothers since they days of Early Access know, as composers we ourselves took an RPG approach when it comes to orchestrating soundtracks for the various factions in the game. The undead are accompanied by an orchestra solely comprised of dark string instruments and percussion that is supposed to resemble the rattling of bones, the orc music is dominated by dark and menacing brass as well as sounds of metal, for the brigands our theme was „instruments you can carry around with you", and so on. The signature sound of each faction in the game grew from imposing limitations upon ourselves, which in turn lead to a very distinguishable tonal landscape that could even give away what the player is fighting the first time they do so.

You may be happy to hear that for the upcoming "Warriors of the North" DLC we got on board again to expand the soundtrack with new music accompanying the player's battles against their new adversary, the northern barbarians.

Adding new factions to the soundtrack gets more tricky as time goes on: While from a gameplay standpoint, fighting the barbarians will play out differently than fighting orcs, there are certain aesthetic similarities (brute force, heavily armored higher tier units, show up in clans) that would also favour a similar approach to the music (which in case of the orcs translated to throwing all the brass instruments and war drums that we could find into the mix). Luckily, though, the barbarians also lend themselves well to going a different route, which is mostly inspired by their nordic and rus themed lore and background.

loading…

Avoiding brass (and the resulting overlap with the orc faction) completely, we decided to use vocals as the tonal backbone of this faction of northmen. Aside from more common singing styles, we incorporated mouth percussion, overtone and throat singing, which is a vocal style found in Norwegian folklore, Mongolian music and shamanist rituals leading back to the stone ages. As, from a gameplay perspective, the barbarians are a variant of the brigands, we also fell back on the brigands' „instruments you can carry around with you" philosophy. Only a single violin, a Swedish nyckelharpa (a medieval string instrument), a couple of drums and a choir of hardened nordmen come together to add new signature battle tracks to the Battle Brothers soundtrack. While production is still ongoing, we are happy to give you this sneak peek today.
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

March 24th, 2019, 00:43
For half a second there I thought it meant they were going to add bards.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

March 24th, 2019, 08:45
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
For half a second there I thought it meant they were going to add bards.

🤣

Hurry up with this DLC 😉
sounds damn good !
--
Everyone thinks i am crazy, but i am just adjusting to my environment.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPGWatcher
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

March 24th, 2019, 16:19
Originally Posted by ikbenrichard View Post
🤣

Hurry up with this DLC 😉
sounds damn good !
My call is May or June. I'm hoping not much longer because there isn't a lot I'm looking forward to this year. Last DLC added more but I think this one will add more replayability with the origin starts.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

March 24th, 2019, 19:32
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
My call is May or June. I'm hoping not much longer because there isn't a lot I'm looking forward to this year. Last DLC added more but I think this one will add more replayability with the origin starts.
hope so too. by that time i am in need for a something "new" to play.
--
Everyone thinks i am crazy, but i am just adjusting to my environment.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPGWatcher
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Battle Brothers - Tunes from the North