Bard's Tale IV - Review @ Game Debate - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bard's Tale IV - Review @ Game Debate

Default Bard's Tale IV - Review @ Game Debate

November 24th, 2018, 22:21
Game Debate checked out The Bard's Tale 4: Barrows Deep:

A Bard's Fail - The Bard's Tale 4: Barrows Deep Review

The Bard's Tale is a series with a long tail. The Bard's Tale I was ahead of its time, presenting an epic RPG quest with magic items, various enemies and dungeons, puzzles and traps, while other games were little more than simplistic 2D platformers. Admittedly, characterisation was thin on the ground, and your party of adventurers were little more than lists of statistics used as tools in combat. But this was the eighties. Nobody was really doing this stuff. Two sequels followed in largely the same mould, introducing wilderness adventures that were essentially the same as the dungeon exploration only with the walls painted to look like trees.
[…]
Of course, I wanted to love this. The little eleven-year-old boy who lives in my head and played the originals wanted to build a party of adventurers and explore the cellars beneath Kylearan's tower so much. I wanted something of Skara Brae to evoke memory of those long summer evenings spent indoors while I should have been out riding my bike, instead trying to find the silver shapes necessary to get into Mangar's tower. But that's not really what I found. I've been underwhelmed by inXile's previous nod to nostalgia, Wasteland 2, and everyone else in the universe seemed to adore it, so maybe it's me. Your mileage, as always, may vary. But if you're looking for a rock-solid, incredibly challenging nuts-and-bolts RPG with all of the quirky flair of the original trilogy, this isn't quite it.

Score: 6/10 - Good
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)

November 24th, 2018, 22:21
6/10 doesn't sound like a fail to me.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

November 24th, 2018, 23:20
Doesn't matter what this review says it's a flop.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

November 24th, 2018, 23:26
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Doesn't matter what this review says it's a flop.
Sure, I'm enjoying it though.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

November 24th, 2018, 23:29
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
Sure, I'm enjoying it though.
Sure good for you and others that do I'm happy for you but inXile is not happy.

This was the second kickstarter game from them that under-performed, and probably had something to do with the Microsoft merger this month.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

November 25th, 2018, 00:01
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Sure good for you and others that do I'm happy for you but inXile is not happy.
Another couch analysis who thinks they know what someone else is thinking and passes it off as fact…
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

November 25th, 2018, 00:05
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
Another couch analysis who thinks they know what someone else is thinking and passes it off as fact…
Do I have to write personal assessment of mine is inXile is not happy…cause nobody writes that we assume the reader knows.. it's always an opinion….but guess not.

So happy now I can also dig up estimated sales, reviews, and player stats for you.
--
Last edited by Couchpotato; November 25th, 2018 at 00:39. Reason: Added estimated to avoid misunderstanding

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

November 25th, 2018, 10:59
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
6/10 doesn't sound like a fail to me.
I think they forgot a 0.

It's 0.6/10.

griniaris

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 25th, 2018, 13:19
I rather tend to believe now that this game is rather a flop because the game is so much British. The music and everything. Non-Action game. People of now can't stomach that, I fear.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

November 25th, 2018, 13:43
The game's not so great success is a result of unfulfilled expectations leading to dissapointment.
Most gamers expected a game with similar mechanics to Bard's Tale 1-3. They got an adventure puzzle game.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 25th, 2018, 13:44
Okay … Well, I never knew the early games, so I didn't expect everything.

But the music … that's *really* the most unlikely thing in gaming I've ever heard !
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

November 25th, 2018, 13:51
I think it's a perfect game for you, Alrik.
You like adventure and puzzle games and you like games that are not so dark, more light hearted.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 25th, 2018, 23:51
While this game didn't come across to me like the first three in the series do, I did enjoy playing it for what it is. There are a lot of positives in the game, and the polishing since I've completed my first play through will only make a return even more likely, maybe even sooner.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

November 26th, 2018, 00:13
It is not a horrible game it just isn't a great game and (imho) it clearly wasn't finished; but i said all of this before.
-
I could care less that it is not the same as the first 3; but can understand that it disappointed others. I think another problem (in conjunction with above) is the game space has become very crowded and substandard games just can't compete.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bard's Tale IV - Review @ Game Debate