Black Geyser - Horrors and Monsters of the Dark Cults

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In the latest update for Black Geyser some of the horrors and monsters of the dark cults are presented.

Zoria Abomination

The cult of Zoria often uses transformation into an abomination as a form of punishment among its ranks. A rather spectacular form of it, that is. Most initiates only need to see it once to understand that appropriate behavior is a must.

The will of the abomination is taken away, along with any semblance of personality it ever had. Only a hunger for flesh, and an urge to kill remains. Therefore, Zoria abominations can be used effectively as the first line of defense against anyone who would threaten the cult. They are not considerably stronger or faster than regular human beings, but their complete disregard for their own well-being makes them fierce opponents in combat. They are led on a short leash, and the cultists have developed their methods for controlling them over the years. There is always a few of them to spare when the time comes.

Moon Horror

The magic of Zoria is a very dark sort, potent, but dangerous. Her power can combine life and death, or turn one into the other, but there might be a sombre price to pay, should one wish to use it. Her cultists train for many moons before making an attempt at using her dark arts. Those unfortunate souls however, who come into contact with her magic unprepared, might soon find themselves twisted into malformed beings known as Moon Horrors. Moon Horrors barely resemble their original form, and their body is engulfed in a shroud of dark, glimmering mist that is the manifestation of Zoria's magic.

The cultists of Zoria often used this to their advantage. To protect their secrets from unwanted attention, their most important scrolls and items were enchanted with such magic. Should these items fall into the wrong hands, their examination would lead to the investigator's painful demise.

d4114bb7ffb33ff78cf41152f5074a61_original.png
Blood Elemental

Elementals are formed by the primal forces of nature, beings animated by pure wild energy. Blood elementals are formed when the world is corrupted to the extent that even these primal forces become warped. Rothgor's influence on Yerengal made all of it possible. Countless cauldrons of blood have been collected by them to fuel the creation of these elementals. These monstrosities often walk the halls of the hideouts used by his cultists, protecting them from threats both inside and outside. The sight of these coagulated beasts strike fear into the hearts of anyone that should set their sights on them.

They are surprisingly docile, however, once one learns how to control them. The cultists of Rothgor quickly become used to their presence, and learn how to control them during their initiation. They mean no harm to the initiates, until they decide to cross the will of the devil-god. Should they do, however, they would soon find out the strength of these dark beings.

Shadowfury Demon

Brought to existence through the pure, swirling hatred of the devil-god Rothgor, the Shadowfury Demon is a true menace to the denizens of Yerengal. These creatures rarely set their clawed feet outside the magical realm of their master, but when they do, only pain and suffering is left in their wake. Their throbbing hearts are filled burning, scalding-hot blood, fueled by a singular intent to kill and maim anything that moves. Shadowfuries are somewhat intelligent creatures, capable of thought and planning, but their savage nature prevents anything more complex than that. During their time in the realm of Rothgor, they tend to feed off the thick fumes that are vented through the barren grounds.

d9d1c020950586d3000601b817d00086_original.png
Shadowfury Demons can be brought to the lands of mortal beings only through Ritual Magic. Their will cannot be controlled, and they only answer the influence of Rothgor. Even the cultists avoid them if possible due to this. These creatures care for their master, but not for his puppets, so cultist initiates are easily treated as free prey. Rothgor sometimes rewards those who meddle with ritual magic - his own invention - with sending a Shadowfury instead of what they hoped to summon. The devil-god finds this rather amusing.
More information.

Important as well:
Greetings, adventurers!

If you have the Royal Herbalist, Boxed Edition, Undead Miser, Early Access, Royal Historian or any higher level tier and haven't yet filled out the herb/loot/catacomb message survey(s) we have sent you, please make sure to do so before 26th March 2021. After that point, these aspects of the game will be locked and cannot be customzied any longer with your input. (More advanced rewards such as helping us design NPCs, items or encounters will not be locked. We even haven't sent surveys for those reward types yet.)

Forgot I backed this, hope it turns out well and glad it's still being worked on.

I heard the beta is meant to be 10-20% of the full game and since most of beta testers finished within 2-5hours, its reasonable to assume the full game will be roughly 40-50hours long.

I only wish devs will give out more definitive release date soon.

Last edited:
I heard the beta is meant to be 10-20% of the full game and since most of beta testers finished within 2-5hours, its reasonable to assume the full game will be roughly 20-25hours long.

I only wish devs will give out more definitive release date soon.

I hope it's not actually that short. I enjoy a shorter experience sometimes but not for this type of game.

It doesn't need to be 100 hours long, but I would prefer it to be around 40 at least.

I hope it's not actually that short. I enjoy a shorter experience sometimes but not for this type of game.

It doesn't need to be 100 hours long, but I would prefer it to be around 40 at least.

Sorry, I was meant to say roughly about 40-50 hours - was typing on the phone and didn't realise I had wrong numbers there.

I think devs mentioned it was about 40-60 hours on their discord as well.

Still seems pretty short for a game of this type...

If we are talking about 40-60 hrs of unique, hand-designed content, I would say its more then enough. Not many contemporary games achieve longer gameplay without procedurally generated or generic, cookie-cutter designed content anyway.

Not many contemporary games achieve longer gameplay without procedurally generated or generic, cookie-cutter designed content anyway.
Yeah, not many. But great RPGs almost always do.

Yeah, not many. But great RPGs almost always do.

For this developer its a debut game with rather modest budget. Im just suggesting to keep feet on ground with expectations.

For this developer its a debut game with rather modest budget. Im just suggesting to keep feet on ground with expectations.
True many forget they started out as a small tech company and now branched out to game development. We shouldn't expect a game made with $5-10 million like PoE.

Anyway I loved the demo.

I'd have thought they would have more than 6 companions sketched out by now, but I guess that's better than nothing. No screenshots either just artist reditions.

Yeah, I don't want to spam every thread with my skepticism, but I do think they started posting more regular updates recently to fend off an uprising in the comments section. But it's pretty minimal stuff - just a bit of text, and some iffy paintings. I don't see much evidence of progress with the game itself.

Yeah, I don't want to spam every thread with my skepticism, but I do think they started posting more regular updates recently to fend off an uprising in the comments section. But it's pretty minimal stuff - just a bit of text, and some iffy paintings. I don't see much evidence of progress with the game itself.

Yeah, this crossed my mind too but I hope something more solid (like a release date) will come out soon from them.

Back
Top Bottom