Fallout 4 Fallout 4 PC Disc Won’t Contain the Entire Game

I thought all games required a download these days to get activated... perhaps it is because I haven't bought a physical disc for like 10 years.....

All games have release patches that you definitely want, anyway.

Pointless information, really.

All hail the mighty Steam DRM and the fear of pirates!

I am okay with it myself - like many things in life the honest people have to deal with the inconvenience caused by the dishonest ones. I prefer something like this to some of the other methods that companies have come up with.

It is regrettable though that online is needed so much for games these days. Miss the days where all you needed was power to play a game on a PC versus an online connection as not everyone has easy access to being online. I volunteered for many years at our public library and the computer terminals with free online access were the most popular. While many folks who have money for a computer would also have money for being online it can be very expensive and there are a variety of reasons why someone might have a PC/Mac but not be able to afford monthly internet charges. Still I expect that the gamer with little to no online access is a small minority these days.

All hail the mighty Steam DRM and the fear of pirates!

LOL

Nah.
The reason is who'd print so many bluray discs when download from a cloud like Steam means zero costs. For the same reason recent HoMM7 has no disc installation, MGS5 too.

But we didn't talk about DRM for months, so perhaps… A few points.

1. Client DRM is most common one (Steam, Origin, uPlay) and is basically annoying to owners of legal copies and not pirates as pirates play games without bothering with these clients, it's positive side however are automatic patching and game files verification.

2. Denuvo DRM is more and more being used, accused of causing bad performance which is just an urban legend. It's superb idea of exe encryption that not only works great and efficient, but also prevents cheaters to cheat in MMOs - when cheats are exe based and not datafiles based. And is still not cracked by pirates. Modern cracks actually emulate clients from #1 and Denuvo protected exe believes the game is communicating with actual Valve, EA or Ubi server.

3. Always online DRM, perhaps the worst thing ever because of unreliable servers that tend to fart just because and then you can't play your singleplayer game for days. An usual misconception is that this DRM cannot be cracked. It can. There are plenty of pirate servers that emulate real servers not only for singleplayer games but also for pay2play subscription based and pay2win microtransaction based MMOs.
https://torrentfreak.com/game-makers-warn-for-torrent-sites-and-cloud-pirates-151011/
The Entertainment Software Association, whose members include EA, Nintendo, Playstation and Ubisoft, has reported several pirate sites and services to the U.S. Government. Torrent site KickassTorrents is outed as one of the main facilitators of piracy. In addition, the group signals a new threat in which "pirate servers" allow users to play games such as World of Warcraft without a monthly subscription fee.

We know for ages that existing DRM schemes simply don't work. Those can prevent pirating of a brand new title for a while, but eventually any DRM gets hacked.

On the other hand I've read somewhere that new versions of certain music software: Cubase, have not been cracked for years. The DRM they use is - USB dongle. Plug the USB key in the machine or the software won't work. Apparently, data on those dongles cannot be replicated (okay, there is nothing that cannot be, but so far it's an unhackable system).
And while it might be the superb solution, it's cost however is currently too big to use for games.

Just don't forget. Dragon Age Inquisition is banned in India.
The only way people there can play the game is to pirate it. Even if they bought the game legally from another country, they have to use pirates' crack. Should we call them all filthy thieves because they use pirated DA:I?

USB dongle protection has been around for like 10 years.. and it was also hacked long ago... there is only one way to make something that'll not be possible to hack, and that is a service which just send you the image.. and everything else is processed on server.

You are right Joxer. I was just having fun. It's totally expected.

Was this even news. SKyrim disc had entire Skyrim, but you still had to log in steam to play it and download patches.

Just don't forget. Dragon Age Inquisition is banned in India.
The only way people there can play the game is to pirate it. Even if they bought the game legally from another country, they have to use pirates' crack. Should we call them all filthy thieves because they use pirated DA:I?

Was it banned because of respawning bears? :D

Yeah every Steamworks game needs to connect and download some data to decrypt. No Steamworks game ever contains the entire game. Neither the pre-load nor the discs. So much for the non-news...
The question is: Are they possibly deliberately withholding GBs of data in addition to the decryption data in order to save expenses for a second disc? That's where things become slightly more newsworthy, especially for people with limited bandwidth plans...

Whoa... my sarcastic answer was right!!!!!

Pete clarified that PC version of Fallout 4 needs digital download as well along with physical copy because unlike PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the game that ship on Blu-Rays, the PC version comes on DVDs that apparently lack required space, however, that is not the main reason. When asked why the upcoming post-apocalyptic title itself and other PC games are restricted in this way, Pete Hines’ reply was quite an obvious one; “Piracy”.

Discussion on Twitter by VP of marketing. Lol. Piracy.. Oh so much humor...

Was it banned because of respawning bears? :D
The official reason is graphic sex or something like that. Probably with a horned creature, as cows are sacred in India so... You shouldn't have sex with horned creatures. Horny, yes, horned, no.

You know how it works. A country with real life mass rapes problem, bans a videogame over some silly sex scenes.
Tragicomic.

The official reason is graphic sex or something like that. Probably with a horned creature, as cows are sacred in India so… You shouldn't have sex with horned creatures. Horny, yes, horned, no.

You know how it works. A country with real life mass rapes problem, bans a videogame over some silly sex scenes.
Tragicomic.

It was graphic sex with respawning bears. ;)

Back
Top Bottom