What games are you playing now?

I've been playing a little NWN and NWN2 in preparation for an upcoming coop session.

Beyond that, I've had fun with Destiny 2 - and the new expansion is pretty cool.

Official campaigns? Or hall of fame modules?

Well, it was mostly to test out if a character build I have in mind actually works - so it's been a mixture of mods :)

The intention for the coop session is that we're going to play "Lord of Terror" which has been added to Steam workshop for NWN Enhanced Edition.

It's an absolutely fantastic NWN1 mod - which takes both Diablo and its expansion - plus extra well-made content - and faithfully adapts it all to the NWN engine, including music and speech.

So, I tested that first - but I didn't want to spoil the experience by overplaying it.

I've also tested Aielund Saga a little bit - which seems like a great NWN EE mod. Also, a little bit of Undrentide and HotU.

For NWN2 - I've tried a similar build for the main campaign - and that's probably the one game I might finish. NWN2 expanded the multiclassing by allowing 4 classes instead of 3 - which can be a pretty big deal for powergaming :)

Right now, I'm going for a Rogue/Fighter/Assassin/Shadowdancer - and the intention is to use Hide in Plain Sight as much as possible - to maximise the Sneak Attack damage. I will pick Assassin for a single level for the added Sneak Attack damage - and the "Death Attack" paralysis - which I'm not sure is going to actually work, but that's the fun part of coming up with builds that I haven't tried before. It's that excitement and unpredictable nature of it all that's so fun for me :)

Except, of course, when it doesn't actually work - and you've just wasted 30 hours of your life testing something that's crap ;)

Reading about people playin DA:I has inspired me to give it another go and hopefully finish it this time.

I’ve tried several times to finish it and while I’ve enjoyed it each time I’ve played I always seem to run out of steam before finishing.

I think I’ll go with the half xp setting and stick mostly to the main quest to see if I can avoid quitting due to repetition.

Reading about people playin DA:I has inspired me to give it another go and hopefully finish it this time.

I’ve tried several times to finish it and while I’ve enjoyed it each time I’ve played I always seem to run out of steam before finishing.

I think I’ll go with the half xp setting and stick mostly to the main quest to see if I can avoid quitting due to repetition.

This has been my issue as well, i could never finish it but i want to! I will someone will do guide as to which quest to do and which ones to skip etc!

Playing Original Sin 2 and find I enjoy it much better now with the Definitive update. Just a heads up but a new patch was released today also for Steam & GOG versions.

Grim Dawn. The Candy Crush of Action RPG's.

I'm not sure i like this, but i keep playing? The fighting reminds me a lot of digging in Terraria, it's not like the digging was that fun or hard, but it gets you stuff. I want to see what the next stuff is, and the next, ok, just one more hour.. no, make it two.

I am rather shocked at its genericness. Wasn't this a KS project? Were the "hardcore" fans happy with this outcome?? Or was it made clear from the start that it was going to be for the Candy Crush-generation?

Play Path of Exile !

And then compare the two; would be interesting to read how someone with no prior experience with either contrasts them.

I haven't noticed much new in fort joy. I think a large amount of the changes are in the later part of the games - but right now I just escaped fort joy and heading up towards somewhere or other. It is a long game - hopefully by the end of the weekend i'll reach the harbor.

What exactly do you like better w/ the patch?

Grim Dawn. The Candy Crush of Action RPG's.

I'm not sure i like this, but i keep playing? The fighting reminds me a lot of digging in Terraria, it's not like the digging was that fun or hard, but it gets you stuff. I want to see what the next stuff is, and the next, ok, just one more hour.. no, make it two.

I am rather shocked at its genericness. Wasn't this a KS project? Were the "hardcore" fans happy with this outcome?? Or was it made clear from the start that it was going to be for the Candy Crush-generation?

That entire sub-genre is the the Candy Crush of action RPGs. What were you expecting? :)

Well, since getting my new 144hz monitor (just a little 27" ASUS, sub-$300), I wanted some new stuff to play. Was playing (and greatly enjoying) GTA V. Man, the amount of unique assets in that game is staggering. Took a break though and got FFXV, and let me tell you, it might surpass Bloodlines as my favorite RPG. I'm stunned at how good it is so far. Granted, I haven't played many new games, but I'm thoroughly enjoying how well made it is. Works great out of the box, has fun and fast (and hard to master, but simple to learn) combat, and the world is fun to explore. Not to mention the gorgeous graphics and amount of content. It's really something. I'd recommend anyone here to play it, even if you aren't normally a fan of the series. It's a special game IMO. GTA V, too, well worth checking out. Alright, that's my caffeinated rant for the night. Cheers! :)

The talk of Cyberpunk and DOS2:EE has had me finally playing Dues Ex and DOS:EE. I'd played some of the latter previously but DE still had the new tag in Steam from something like 2014.... Yeah I'm slow on the uptake.

The talk of Cyberpunk and DOS2:EE has had me finally playing Dues Ex and DOS:EE. I'd played some of the latter previously but DE still had the new tag in Steam from something like 2014…. Yeah I'm slow on the uptake.

DE:HR looks great, bought it on sale and have yet to play it. Cyberpunk will be a game/life-changer, lol. That game sounds toooooo good. :)

That entire sub-genre is the the Candy Crush of action RPGs. What were you expecting? :)

I wasn't expecting much after seeing the videos from this game, it has always looked somewhat like a Japanese Shoot 'em Up to me.

But i'm not sure i agree all actionRPG's needs to be like this. When i think of the old Diablo games i remember thinking they were both quite hard + kind of scary! All alone (in SP) in this dark atmosphere with hordes of demons and monsters coming at you. Dark Souls reminded me a bit of that feeling. Not that i was expecting DS from this, but the Action RPG genre doesnt need to be this generic. who's even been asking for something this generic is my question.. who backed this? Fans of.. what..? It can't have been fans of the old diablo games at least, if so the reviews would have bombed.

From what I've seen, Grim Dawn has a great reputation among the players and old school rpg community. I'm not into this style of game normally, but this one grabbed me. I have 30 hours into it, and will go back to it eventually. Lots of fun when just in the mood to hack and slash a bunch of different monsters, and do dungeons by clearing out all the monsters and treasure, and so on. A game you can play very casually and relaxed, and not get too stressed out, lol.

What I'm playing -- I recently started back into Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced edition. I noticed others are also mentioning these games lately. Again, just amazed at how good a rpg and game that this is, so impressive. I think the combat system is one of the best ever in these types of games. Not to mention, the atmosphere, music, graphics - all are standouts.

My only complaint is I feel the game is too stingy when it comes to gold, and combines this with expensive prices for spells and skillbooks, and gear like weapons and armor, etc. When you have 4 character party it all adds up quickly, and it gets frustrating to not be able to buy that new juicy looking powerful spell or shiny magical equipment for your fighter. I went ahead and did an unlimited gold cheat finally, because it got too annoying/frustrating.

Besides that small niggle, I now have damn near 90 hours into the game, and only at level 10. I might surpass 200 hours on this one! This is one of those rare gems that will keep me interested enough to finish it, I think.

Updated: corrected error with game title. :blush:

Last edited:
Pretty sure Divine Divinity doesn't have an Enchanced Edition?

Divine Divinity was really amazing, much better than their new games. Just like the Gothic games it was very influenced by my favorite RPG's of all time; Ultima 7 I and II..

I think it found a great middle ground between something like Diablo and Baldur's Gate, but also not missing out on the little details that made Ultima 7 so charming and immersive.

Back
Top Bottom