Simple dungeon crawlers on Android?

D

Deleted User

Hey.

Does anyone know of a good dungeon crawler on Android that is simply a Diablo style crawler? It can be turn based.

Right now I have Endless Depths 2, and while it's pretty cool, I am wondering if there is a great one out there.

Preferably, it would have:

1. Minimal or no text. Story optional.
2. Easy to play. No fast dexterity needed.
3. Tons of loot that is interesting and fun.
4. Turn based preferred.
5. Western style.

Any ideas?

-Fluent

These are roguelikes... Pixel Dungeon is the best one I've played. If you want more complex, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has a good Android port. Both are free.

-kaos

These are roguelikes… Pixel Dungeon is the best one I've played. If you want more complex, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has a good Android port. Both are free.

-kaos

Thanks! Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup looks great. I grabbed both versions of that as well as a few others. I will keep looking as well.

Well, there's Heroes of Steel which has 4 episodes. I recently only played the first ep since it became pure tedium eventually with not enough variety in monster types & environments but everything else you ask for is there. I'm now about to play Shadowrun: Dragonfall (also available for mobiles).

Use an emulator.

The Nintendo DS emulator DraStic actually works really great, even on a very low end Android phone. It costs about $5 on Google Play but is worth every penny. There are many good dungeon crawlers on DS like The Dark Spire, Strange Journey and Etrian Odyssey.

I do have a DS emulator and I have all those great games for it, but I wanted something simple on Android with touch controls for my dad to play.

I found another cool one called Dungeon Hero which is a bit of a casual first-person romp through various dungeons. Fun stuff and free to play - worth checking out! :)

I need to learn about Dosbox on Android more. I'm not sure how to set it up or get it running properly. Does it include a keyboard function as well for games that require a keyboard input?

I already have the PS1 emulator with Diablo installed. EPSXE on Android actually has multiplayer, so my dad and I have already fired up Diablo to test it. Works great in co-op and it's definitely another option going forward. It's just that we've played a ton of the game in the past, but we're due for another replay soon! :)

Dungeon Hunter 5 is indeed great. Very fun game that my dad and I will probably co-op soon in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

I need to learn about Dosbox on Android more. I'm not sure how to set it up or get it running properly. Does it include a keyboard function as well for games that require a keyboard input?

I already have the PS1 emulator with Diablo installed. EPSXE on Android actually has multiplayer, so my dad and I have already fired up Diablo to test it. Works great in co-op and it's definitely another option going forward. It's just that we've played a ton of the game in the past, but we're due for another replay soon! :)

Good to know it works multiplayer! Never thought of trying that.

As for Doxbox, get Dosbox Turbo, then the Dosbox Manager which will let you setup a one-click option for each game.

Here's a good video tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f21K1Exq2jA&

It has a touch keyboard built in, but if you get serious with playing DOS games on it I would highly recommend getting a bluetooth keyboard, and possibly a mouse with a USB OTG adapter.

Wow. Just wow. A freaking Android Dos emulator...! Blows my mind. Thanks so much for sharing that!

I will definitely be getting into this. Unfortunately, a bluetooth keyboard and mouse would be a bit awkward with my Shield tablet. I usually play games with the stylus or with the IPEGA controller physically attached to the tablet.

Still, I will give this a look. I definitely would get serious with this, but we'll have to see how it works first! :)

Wow. Just wow. A freaking Android Dos emulator…! Blows my mind. Thanks so much for sharing that!

I will definitely be getting into this. Unfortunately, a bluetooth keyboard and mouse would be a bit awkward with my Shield tablet. I usually play games with the stylus or with the IPEGA controller physically attached to the tablet.

Still, I will give this a look. I definitely would get serious with this, but we'll have to see how it works first! :)

Master of Orion works great on the shield tablet with the Stylus. I had Ultima 7 working well on my Note 2 with only the Stylus, but it had a button that could be configured like a right click mouse. Also many of the GOG games work well by just importing and slightly modifying the Dosbox configuration files.

And for keyboard?

http://www.amazon.com/ZAGG-Autofit-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Android/dp/B00MSOHDR4

Honestly, I stopped trying to install it on my tablet because of fear that the stylus wouldn't be good enough.

Is it really worth playing with the stylus? I'd like to play mostly RPGs on the tablet and stuff like Master of Magic, Master of Orion, etc., but I can't really hook up a keyboard and mouse. So, is it worth going through all the nerdy trouble of installing it?

Honestly, I stopped trying to install it on my tablet because of fear that the stylus wouldn't be good enough.

Is it really worth playing with the stylus? I'd like to play mostly RPGs on the tablet and stuff like Master of Magic, Master of Orion, etc., but I can't really hook up a keyboard and mouse. So, is it worth going through all the nerdy trouble of installing it?

Master of Orion works perfectly. It's really well suited to a tablet because every action is a single click in it. I just tested it yesterday with the stylus on my Shield. Even the Dosbox on screen keyboard is optional unless you want to name your planets, ships etc...

However games like Ultima 7 will need a mouse (or an active stylus with buttons), because of the complicated commands like left/right click and click hold, etc.

Master of Orion works perfectly. It's really well suited to a tablet because every action is a single click in it. I just tested it yesterday with the stylus on my Shield. Even the Dosbox on screen keyboard is optional unless you want to name your planets, ships etc…

However games like Ultima 7 will need a mouse (or an active stylus with buttons), because of the complicated commands like left/right click and click hold, etc.

What I'm wondering is, is there a large number of games that can be fluidly played on a tablet with Dosbox Turbo?

Master of Magic? Master of Orion works, great, I will definitely play that one, but what about other games? Are there a good amount of games that are playable with stylus alone? If so, what are some good rpgs and strategy games that can be played that way?

What I'm wondering is, is there a large number of games that can be fluidly played on a tablet with Dosbox Turbo?

Master of Magic? Master of Orion works, great, I will definitely play that one, but what about other games? Are there a good amount of games that are playable with stylus alone? If so, what are some good rpgs and strategy games that can be played that way?

Funny you bring that up. I've been working on putting some good dungeon crawlers on my Shield tablet. The first thing you need to do is download the "Hackers keyboard" for Android and enable the 5 line in settings so you have arrow keys them you can use the keyboard for Dosbox Turbo. I've been able to use just that keyboard on portrait mode and the Stylus for The Bards Tale series, Might and Magic series, Wizardry series, and Betrayal at Krondor. With a little tweaking, it's a blast :)

Back
Top Bottom