What games are you playing now?

Now that you brought the subject 'XCOM2" up once again, I want to revisit my RPGWatch XCOM2 Team if only to permanently change the color of my Sharpshooter @Eye;'s outfit to Orange :)

But then I uninstalled the game and the mods :(

Reinstall and start playing again :p

A couple more demos I tried today...

No Man's Island - A survival game with no release date yet for the full game. It doesn't bring anything new to the genre, and I disliked the camera angle, which, combined with the lack of any kind of map, make it hard for me to keep track of where I was. @crpgnut; might dig this, but I didn't care for it.

Peripeteia - An indie immersive sim that's on Kickstarter right now and is already funded. It gives a strong Deus Ex vibe and was obviously heavily influenced by the original DX. The demo is a little rough at this stage, but I see a lot of potential with this one.

@JDR13; Maps are pretty much vital for me as I have no sense of direction. I still may grab the demo though and take a look, thanks!

Last edited:
I played half an hour of the remastered Quake. It's decent, but I just don't have the patience for it right now. It's also very very bright. But it's nice for fans of the old game. Somehow Quake, for me, never measured up to the DOOM games of old. They really have something particular. Maybe it's the switch to 3D.

Spent some time tonight playing Void Bastards. It's a sci-fi FPS/rougelike. I found it surprisingly fun despite not being the type of game I normally play. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes the genre. It's currently free on Epic.

Hm, seems I may have jumped the gun on the "not feeling it" while playing the Quake remaster. It's solid fun. And the level design is good. I keep getting dragged into it.

I played a little bit of Void Bastards. I liked the art style, and the game overall, for the little I played. But then it just got put in the endless queue of good roguelike games, that I'll probably never have time to deep dive.

The only roguelike game I really enjoyed, and put in more time than others is Darkest Dungeon. And that's mostly to do with the art style, the Lovecraftian settings, the atmosphere and fantastic voice of Wayne June. That dude could sell me on anything.

I'm still playing Final Fantasy two, and man, is this a rather different way of playing in the FF world. The whole no-levels thing was alarming at first, yet I do enjoy skill based games, so I just fell back into those old routines. I did run smack into a road block at one point, where I had to focus on my three characters and get them into better shape, and for being a very different FF game, I must admit to enjoying it a great deal.

Hm, seems I may have jumped the gun on the "not feeling it" while playing the Quake remaster. It's solid fun. And the level design is good. I keep getting dragged into it.

The level design was always good in Quake. I'm not overly impressed by the remaster. The DarkPlaces mod is a similar engine upgrade that has been around since -2010 and looks better imo.

I'm still glad they did it though simply for the fact that it introduces Quake to a new generation of gamers especially on consoles.

I'm trying Elder Scrolls Online, after several years of considering it.

I absolutely hate seeing a bunch of other players running around, bouncing off walls and each other and it's ugly by today's graphics standards, but other than that it has some appeal.

The voice acting is good (better than any of their single player Elder Scrolls games, in fact) and the writing decent. Lots of character progression options, unlocked in skill "lines", not unlike the perk paths of Skyrim. Combat is MMOs is imo always terrible, but combat in Elder Scrolls games has never been very good to begin with, so by those standards it's fine. And at this point my $39 bought me a huge amount of content since it got me all chapters to date.

I also started up AC: Valhalla again. I stopped playing back in December 2020 when Cyberpunk 2077 came out. I put 62 hours into it that first month, and wasn't tired of it, though I wasn't loving the Vinland chapter I was currently engaged in. So far all I've done is finish Vinland and head back to England, finding out that things have gone pear-shaped based on an earlier decision I made. I still have a ton of game left, and that's without buying either of the add-ons.

I started the next campaign in Quake 1, after the first one, which I assume is the first one that came out. And surprisingly this one makes a lot more sense. As in you start out on a base or something, and only at the end do you go to Quake via some portal. So I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a prequel to the main campaign. But it just seems more straightforward with regards to the order of events.

I started the next campaign in Quake 1, after the first one, which I assume is the first one that came out. And surprisingly this one makes a lot more sense. As in you start out on a base or something, and only at the end do you go to Quake via some portal. So I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a prequel to the main campaign. But it just seems more straightforward with regards to the order of events.

There's only 1 campaign in Quake. Are you talking about one of the mission packs? It sounds like Scourge of Armagon.

There's only 1 campaign in Quake. Are you talking about one of the mission packs? It sounds like Scourge of Armagon.

Yeah, that's the one. Were these also made by id? And I believe the last one in the list was made for this remaster of Quake, by the people at MachineGames?

Afaik, none of the mission packs were developed by id.

I've reached the catacombs in that first mission pack. And there's a clear difference to the level design, if these were indeed not by id. They're a lot more straighforward and less labyrinthian. They make a lot more sense, but they're also more boring this way.

After completing Final Fantasy two, my first inclination was to go ahead and play the third game, yet Peaky Blinders (the game) caught my eye first. So that's next on the list, shortly to be fired up!

Hades. Almost done. I wasnt planning on it, but unlocking the epilogue is nearly done (the goal was just the official credits). It certainly is addicting with the 'just one more run' syndrome (it's 2:00am here).

I don't think it deserves the goty that everyone was shouting about. I find it difficult to nominate a rogue lite for that.

Back
Top Bottom