Latest place you've visited ?

Marine City, Michigan. Some photos I took at the cottage we rented on the St. Clair River this past week.

241890739_10219801822584557_2439164875024649967_n.jpg

242087884_10219801822144546_3096076949396069989_n.jpg

242008707_10219801823064569_478059665320312946_n.jpg

241969949_10219801823504580_252849965059361538_n.jpg

Is this one of the 4 Big Lakes near Canada?

It's a large river that connects Lake Huron to Lake St Clair. (Lake Huron is one of the five 'Great Lakes', while Lake St Clair is sometimes called the sixth great lake.)

That's actually Canada right across the river. :)

You took nice pics here !!

And sorry for my double mistake, saying that there are 4 Great Lakes instead of 5, and calling them 'Big' instead of 'Great' (Engrish :p)

Ha, exactly 3,000 posts with this one. JDR13 here I goooooo..

And sorry for my double mistake, saying that there are 4 Great Lakes instead of 5, and calling them 'Big' instead of 'Great' (Engrish :p)

No worries. It can be confusing because two of them are joined by a strait so they're technically 1 body of water.

Ha, exactly 3,000 posts with this one. JDR13 here I goooooo..

You are progressing well, Padawan.

Do you like seeing old remains?
Was there a lot to see or is most of it broken?

Archaeology is my most favourite hobby. ;) Still. ;)

If you click in the menu first on "Archaeological Park" and on the left side on "Tour of the park", you can see that it is more park than reconstructions.

In fact, as I have read, the old town was destroyed a few times, and then people built the still existing town of Xanten next to it, looting all worthy stones from the roman town and using for constructing buildings (like the dom/cathedral of Xanten) or selling it (one sign read that some were even sold to Denmark !), because they were so well made.

The park currently contains only a part of the roman town, and some parts are still under modern buildings in the south.

Because of Corona, several reconstructions just cannot be visited inside, because of restrictions. When there was no Corona, this was a really fun place, especially for children ! Like me, because i had been visiting that park in the 70s as a schoolboy together with the class. And it is still great fun to see the partially reconstructed Amphitheatre !

There is also a gigantic museum - gigantic, because it has the size of the original bath house. Which was gigantic. The page "Tour of the Museum" has a photo ( ! ) of it, and you can see its size very nicely. It's not digitally tampered with ! It's mainly constructed of glass and steel.

Explanation signs are both in English and Nederlands language.

Archaeology is my most favourite hobby. ;) Still. ;)

If you click in the menu first on "Archaeological Park" and on the left side on "Tour of the park", you can see that it is more park than reconstructions.

In fact, as I have read, the old town was destroyed a few times, and then people built the still existing town of Xanten next to it, looting all worthy stones from the roman town and using for constructing buildings (like the dom/cathedral of Xanten) or selling it (one sign read that some were even sold to Denmark !), because they were so well made.

The park currently contains only a part of the roman town, and some parts are still under modern buildings in the south.

Because of Corona, several reconstructions just cannot be visited inside, because of restrictions. When there was no Corona, this was a really fun place, especially for children ! Like me, because i had been visiting that park in the 70s as a schoolboy together with the class. And it is still great fun to see the partially reconstructed Amphitheatre !

There is also a gigantic museum - gigantic, because it has the size of the original bath house. Which was gigantic. The page "Tour of the Museum" has a photo ( ! ) of it, and you can see its size very nicely. It's not digitally tampered with ! It's mainly constructed of glass and steel.

Explanation signs are both in English and Nederlands language.
Sounds really nice
Good you had fun.

I like seeing old ruins too, I loved Rome and Athens for example.

Back
Top Bottom