What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Wow, I looked up Daryl Hannah and found that she was in both Blade Runner and Kill Bill. I love both movies but was never aware of that. She obviously is a well received theatre actress too. Great woman!

Fun fact: Hannah disliked her role in Blade Runner and very much wanted the Sean Young role instead.

At least, that's how I remember it.

Army of the Dead

Massively disappointing, but I should have known better. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't something as cliche and predictable as this movie was.

Zack Snyder has always been hit or miss. AotD is the latter in a big way. If you're going to watch it anyways, lower your expectations. You'll thank me later.

I'm definetly gonna watch it, not caring about Snyder though.
Another hollywood's recent that looks interesting enough for me to check is Paper Tigers.

When will I go for the two, cannot say, too many worldwide titles I want to see. For example The Scary House from germany, The Silent Forest from taiwan and of course Recalled from korea.

Army of the Dead

Massively disappointing, but I should have known better. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't something as cliche and predictable as this movie was.

Zack Snyder has always been hit or miss. AotD is the latter in a big way. If you're going to watch it anyways, lower your expectations. You'll thank me later.

That's a shame. I enjoyed his Dawn of the Dead remake, from the Johnny Cash intro onward. But I haven't really enjoyed his work since (though I think Watchmen was better than it was given credit for, if you look at it as its own thing). I was hoping this one might work.

That's a shame. I enjoyed his Dawn of the Dead remake, from the Johnny Cash intro onward. But I haven't really enjoyed his work since (though I think Watchmen was better than it was given credit for, if you look at it as its own thing). I was hoping this one might work.

I thought DotD was ok. I enjoyed 300 more, and I think Watchmen is vastly superior to most super hero films out there.

I can't say I've really enjoyed any of his more recent films though.

I thought DotD was ok. I enjoyed 300 more, and I think Watchmen is vastly superior to most super hero films out there.

I can't say I've really enjoyed any of his more recent films.

Yeah, DotD wasn't all it could have been, but I liked what he was doing, and was keen to see what else he'd do. 300 didn't work for me - I don't mind the idea of a highly stylized film, but to me it was too much. Not exactly style over substance, but just so much style and melodrama that it killed immersion.

Last edited:
Well I watched it. Army of Dead.
Abysmally stupid (one of facts: a zombie is faster than a helicopter).
Then again what to expect from hollywood script that copies Peninsula story setup (grab shitton of cash from zombie infested area only to find an organized society there), but goes a different route.

If you concentrate on the pilot who is a lousy copy of Stephen Chow's landlady, you might get some entertaining value.
Okay, zombiesolving boobytraps was good too, but that's about it, the rest is sheer mediocrity.

Watch if you have nothing else, otherwise I say skippit.

Yeah, Army of the Dead. I'm now convinced that Zack Snyder is only interested in crafting a good opening scene and credit sequence, and then any old script will do. And this one's a stinker.

I really disliked it.

Yeah, Army of the Dead. I'm now convinced that Zack Snyder is only interested in crafting a good opening scene and credit sequence, and then any old script will do. And this one's a stinker.

I really disliked it.

I hate/avoid Snyder films, but for some reason I decided to try this one. And yeah, the opening sequence, of Vegas being overrun, was kinda fun and I was suddenly naively optimistic.

I gave up on it about halfway through.

On the bright side, I enjoyed the RLM review. Review starts at 3:45 if you can't be bothered with their skits.

I watched Jackie Brown today. Not sure why, but I had somehow never seen the whole movie before. It was the only Tarantino movie I hadn't seen through.

I thought it was ok. Definitely not one of my favorites as far as his movies go. I really liked De Niro's character. It wasn't a big role, but I thought he played it perfectly. Also thought Robert Forster was good.

I'm a huge fan of Jackie Brown, from the day I saw it in a theatre to right now. It's a great film, so nuanced with some serious subtle things going on, one of those movies where you're likely to see something that you might have missed the first time (or times!). And that bodacious soundtrack.....man. Extra honey for your ears!

Shaun of the Dead is a good alternative to those * of the Dead, though not from the same director
My brother, who loves zombie movies (especially over the top splatter), really found that one funny. Personally I enjoyed Hot Fuzz more. :)

Ever heard of this game?

Neither did I.
Even if I did it looks like trash.

As it happens Ubisoft decided to make a movie out of it. And I have to say, unlike the game, this looks interesting to me:

I re-watched Dawn of the Dead (remake) last night. I think Ripper planted the seed in my head when he mentioned it.

I felt the same way as when I saw it at release. It's ok. I think it's a decent popcorn flick, but I can only scratch my head when someone says they think it's Snyder's best film.

It does have Max Headroom though.. for a little while anyways.

Dawn of the Dead (Original)

So I decided to check out George Romero's version tonight. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid, and wowza... it has not aged well.

Talk about cheesy. The zombie are especially pathetic with how slow and harmless they are compared to more modern zombie flicks. I have to admit I didn't watch the entire thing. I started fast-forwarding after a certain point and just skimmed through it.

I still enjoyed the sequence with the Tom Savini led biker gang assaulting the mall though. That scene had stuck with me over the years, and it was fun to see it again.

My son and I watched Army of the Dead, then re-watched Dawn of the Dead (remake) because he wasn't even born last time I saw it. Yes they both have their share of idiotic moments, but we both enjoyed them a lot. I'm looking forward to the animated series.
I also watch vol2 of Love,Death & Robots... Incredible photorealistic cg character in Life Hutch, and environments in Drowned Giant. If they were combined, I would have no clue what I was seeing was animated.

Back
Top Bottom