RPGWatch - Outland 17 Kickstarter Q&A

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
We had the chance to ask Grant Taylor of Grenade Tree Games a few more questions again now that his game Outland 17 has launched on kickstarter this month.

Couchpotato: Welcome back the last time we talked Outland 17 was on the Square Enix collective website. So how have you guys been since then?

Grenade Tree: After the Collective we went to GDC and both where a great experience. We learned a lot about what fans wanted and have worked hard to integrate their feedback. The product of our hard work is a fully playable Alpha Demo. There's been a lot of time spent getting making the concepts we've been talking about a reality.

We released our first build about a month ago on GameJolt and have been getting a lot of positive feedback from the community. Using that input, we've been fine tuning the presentation and improving certain game mechanics.
More information.

Must have missed the initial news. For just 10$ for Early Bird I backed this one.

Don't think their Campaign is going as well as it could though.

Guess main problem here was lack of press connections. Because the level of professionalism is quite high on the page so that cant be the reason + I heard of this game the first time.

While 10$ for Early Bird is a good price, I don't think 20$ for the game is ideal here. But as the early Bird tier isn't even completely taken, that't probably not the biggest issue here.
Also could have stated more clearly in the early Bird Tier that it actually includes the full game.

While the presentation of the team was nice in the video, what interests me most in tactics game, is what the combat is actually like. And I don't feel like I have seen anything about that on the video or on the page and that makes it hard to get hyped.

Last edited:
Thanks for your support Kordanor and I'd agree that exposure is definitely a factor, as it usually is with indie games. We've been doing our best to reach out to press, in the build up to Kickstarter and after, and it's definitely been a hard grind getting attention. However, this is not meant to be an excuse, it's just the nature of the beast and we're still trying new ways to get the word out. After all, it could be just one well placed article that helps us at the finish line. I really appreciate the recommendations on the leads that we can follow up with, that's super awesome of you and is a huge help!

We've been really fortunate to have supportive communities have our back with the game's development, particularly RPGWatch. CouchPotato has been really kind in keeping up us. Knowing we have a lot of fans and friends here, plus getting the game greenlit in only a week, is keeping us positive with our Kickstarter outlook, despite reaching the halfway point at under 25%. We have a couple things that are almost done cooking that we're going to use to try to show more of the game, generate our own news, and hopefully grab the attention of the press, so wish us luck!

And should the Kickstarter not succeed, that's not the end of the project. Our producer JC will use his personal funds to help drive development and we'll continue pouring ourselves into what initially was, and will continue to be, our passion project.

-Grant

Last edited:
Thank you for replying Grant I'm happy to see you guys have a backup plan in-case the kickstarter fails. Still I hope your game gets funded in the last week.

I really love the theme of this game. I'm thinking about backing this. I hope they get funded.

It's a pity this game wasn't funded. I hope they manage in a new try !

Back
Top Bottom