|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Elder Scrolls » TES V: Skyrim » Gamemoir - Skyrim is Still King of the RPGs

Default Gamemoir - Skyrim is Still King of the RPGs

June 2nd, 2015, 04:44
Gamemoir released a new article with their opinion that Skyrim is Still King of the RPGs.
Diablo III, Mass Effect 2 And 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, Borderlands 2, Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning, Bloodborne. All these games have three things in common: they’re all RPGs, they’re all wonderful and fantastic games, and they’re all the RPGs I’ve played since Skyrim which, despite their brilliance, all fell short of matching the incredible experience that Bethesda’s 2011 RPG offered. In my mind, Skyrim is still the best RPG of all time, and every game within that genre that I’ve played since then only consolidates this reality for me.
--
"Praise be to the gaming gods and their holy avatar CD Projekt" - Couchpotato

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.
Last edited by Couchpotato; June 2nd, 2015 at 05:04.

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

June 2nd, 2015, 06:44
Well, calling KoA wonderful and fantastic is kinda reaching

Anyway, does it matter which is the best?

DArtagnan

Mentioned: Post(s)

June 2nd, 2015, 06:49
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post

On the Internet? Hell yes it does!

In real life, no not at all.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

June 2nd, 2015, 12:19
Gamemoir? never heard of, and if I ever hear anything from them again I'll ignore it!

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

June 2nd, 2015, 13:36
Diablo III, Mass Effect 2 And 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, Borderlands 2, Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning, Bloodborne.
Some of mentioned games I didn't play nor ever will. But Skyrim the king of those I did play?
I can't stop laughing. Even ME2 that's not openworld, that is more of a shooter than RPG, that includes Bioware Points scam, that has the most annoying grinding sonar feature that ever appeared in a game, etc - pwns Skyrim.

Skyrim is the king of bugs and the king of modding. Thrones for other things belong to other games.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

May 22nd, 2016, 06:25
Still love being a vampire in the game and being a vampire lord

X Updater

Prodigy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

May 22nd, 2016, 07:37
Okay.

In my world, there are two thrones - one for King Vivec (Morrowind) and one for Queen Scotia (Lands of Lore), Ocato (Daggerfall) being the court jester.

There's a host of nobles waiting in the anteroom - most notably everybody else from the Royal Families (Elder Scrolls and Lands of Lore), System Shock 1, Gothic 1 and 2, Deus Ex 1, Knights of the Old Republic 2, the Mass Effect and Dragon Age families as far as I came to know them, Jade Empire, Final Fantasy 9 … and I'm pretty sure I forgot some here.

The dungeons are really overcrowded. Dungeon Siege, Neverwinter Nights and all instances of Baldur's Gate all compete for a place to sit on the mossy, moist stone floor, but that's already occupied by all instances of Dungeon Master.

Then, there's the king of GAMES who rules them all from his mountainaous throne: Realms of the Haunting.
--
ESO-playing machine

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

Play nice.©
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

May 22nd, 2016, 10:00
I am just glad its not Fallout 4. One of the crappier rpgs i have played.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

May 23rd, 2016, 16:20
While this guy's piece is just an op-ed, the stats back him up. IIRC, Skyrim is the longest-played single-player game on Steam. It is also the highest sold single-player game in Steam's history. Multi-player shooters dominate the list otherwise. If you assume that Steam is only 1/3 of Skyrim's sales, it has sold 25 million copies. Of those 25 million, several million were at full price in the first month or two past release.

While folks here want to credit the modders, and rightly so, nobody else has been able to duplicate this feat in the 4.5 years since Skyrim came out. The Witcher franchise has claimed that the 3 Witcher games combined have sold 20 million copies. That's nice, but pocket change compared to the last 3 TES games

To be fair, Fallout 3, FNV and Fallout 4 combined can't match Skyrim; at least the last time I checked. Hmmm, gonna go check that out….

Okay, Bethesda's Fallouts have caught Skyrim. Those 3 games have matched the sales of Skyrim alone.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
Last edited by crpgnut; May 23rd, 2016 at 16:23. Reason: checking Fallouts vs Skyrim

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
+1:

May 23rd, 2016, 17:45
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
Then, there's the king of GAMES who rules them all from his mountainaous throne: Realms of the Haunting.
Currently 88% off on GoG!

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

May 23rd, 2016, 17:46
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
Currently 88% off on GoG!
Well, I still have it here on my shelf so I don't need another copy, but … everybody else should get one .
--
ESO-playing machine

Semper HiFi!

Jaz

Play nice.©
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

May 23rd, 2016, 18:02
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
While this guy's piece is just an op-ed, the stats back him up. IIRC, Skyrim is the longest-played single-player game on Steam. It is also the highest sold single-player game in Steam's history. Multi-player shooters dominate the list otherwise. If you assume that Steam is only 1/3 of Skyrim's sales, it has sold 25 million copies. Of those 25 million, several million were at full price in the first month or two past release.

While folks here want to credit the modders, and rightly so, nobody else has been able to duplicate this feat in the 4.5 years since Skyrim came out. The Witcher franchise has claimed that the 3 Witcher games combined have sold 20 million copies. That's nice, but pocket change compared to the last 3 TES games

To be fair, Fallout 3, FNV and Fallout 4 combined can't match Skyrim; at least the last time I checked. Hmmm, gonna go check that out….

Okay, Bethesda's Fallouts have caught Skyrim. Those 3 games have matched the sales of Skyrim alone.
So mr. Bieber is the greatest musician of all time? McDonald's the greatest restaurant? What about GTA V…it sold almost three times more than Skyrim.
C'mmon crpgnut…it's not as simplistic matter as that.
Bethesda games, as well as Skyrim, are not considered the pinnacle of greatest writing, game play, technical performance, world design or even rpg mechanics…but for their accessibility. They require little investment, can be started and put down as easily and are catered to practically everyone's taste.
In comparison with Witcher and other rpg series on the matter of sales, Bethesda has been more than twenty years in business, building their own recognizable brand with little competition from others.
It should say more of what CDPR and Obsidian have accomplished on their first attempt with open world games of similar scope that Bethesda could not, so far, even dream of doing. And I would say with a lot less time and experience.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

+1:

May 23rd, 2016, 21:25
I knew it was only a matter of time before crpgnut showed up to publicly fellate Bethesda.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
+1:

May 23rd, 2016, 21:46
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
I am just glad its not Fallout 4.
Maybe it is by now. Fallout 4 hadn't yet been released when this necro-thread began.
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

May 24th, 2016, 03:38
Thanks to the resurgence of this topic, Gamemoir is breaking all it's traffic records.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

May 24th, 2016, 04:10
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post

Wait, what?

OH crap…

I didn't see this was a topic from a year ago. I thought DArt was back.

I think KoA the Reckoning is a great game, having a lot of fun with it.

T
--
I can change almost anything… but I can't change human nature.

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

May 24th, 2016, 10:38
"Guest"? Is his account actually gone? As in, deleted?

Also, this topic was prior to FO4 and TW3, both of which would be contenders for the mainstream crowd. For me, it would probably be TW3 > Skyrim > FO4 of those three, but to each his/her own.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

May 24th, 2016, 13:16
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
"Guest"? Is his account actually gone? As in, deleted?

He asked it to be deleted in his good bye thread.

lostforever

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

May 24th, 2016, 13:30
The thing that Skyrim does compared to other recently released cRPG's is that it gives you a canvas and lets you be the artist. Now I know that modders have played a large role in this but that is half the fun.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

May 24th, 2016, 18:07
Oh no, no mods for me. I want to enjoy vanilla games, and I liked vanilla Skyrim enough to enjoy it for over 400 hours. Then again … too many Nords for my liking .
--
ESO-playing machine

Semper HiFi!

Jaz

Play nice.©
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Elder Scrolls » TES V: Skyrim » Gamemoir - Skyrim is Still King of the RPGs