Runic Games - Shut Down

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@RockPaperShotgun Runic Games has been shut down less than a month after it released Hob.

The owners of Torchlight developers Runic Games, the Chinese free-to-play-focused publisher Perfect World Entertainment, confirmed today that it has shut down Runic’s Seattle studio. Seeing as that’s Runic’s only studio, er, that’s them basically gone – though their games will live on. This comes barely one month after Runic released Hob.

Perfect World have also laid off most the team at Motiga, the studio behind Gigantic – which only launched in July. Perfect World say these are unconnected but sheesh, not a good week to be owned by Perfect World.

“I’m sorry to say that today will be Runic’s last day open,” studio head Marsh Lefler said in a statement on their site. “For those that love the Torchlight series, there will be some news coming. And for all our fans, our community and multiplayer services will keep running even after the studio’s lights go off.”

[...]
More information.

Well that's no fun. These are the people that basically invented the ARPG, and this is what... the 3rd time I think they've shutdown? I also noticed a huge lack of HOB coverage out in the media.

Well the actual developer of torchlight (travis) moved on to start a new company so it was just a name. Isn't HOB their first game ?

Ya, Travis left a few years back, but Max is still there. I guess they're all splintering off.

Eh? Did they previously work for Blizzard?

Ya, Blizzard North, who used to be Condor Games. I think David Brevik last worked doing Path of Exile design.

Bummer. I hope they can keep the magic alive in a new studio.

"For those that love the Torchlight series, there will be some news coming."

Sad to see the studio go, but hopeful that this means someone else will pick up the (ahem) torch.

"For those that love the Torchlight series, there will be some news coming."

Sad to see the studio go, but hopeful that this means someone else will pick up the (ahem) torch.

The publisher that shut them down is going in the direction of games as a service which means micro-transactions and loot boxes probably.

The publisher that shut them down is going in the direction of games as a service which means micro-transactions and loot boxes probably.

Meh. I hope not. I was hoping it meant the IP was sold to someone that cares.

Didn't they recently publish "Hob" ?

Edit : Wikipedia says "yes".

They even produced a Hob Comic : http://www.runicgames.com/blog/2017/09/25/hob-prelude-comic/

Edit 2 : Their web page sounds a bit grim : http://www.runicgames.com/

Hey everyone,

It’s been over nine years since a rag-tag team of 17 developers helped open Runic Games. We’ve been so lucky for the community that has supported us and made us successful. Thanks to that support, we have had the chance to meet and work with the best people in the world. Our team here at Runic has released three successful games, and over that time we have seen many changes; team members got married, kids were born, but the most important thing is that we have become a family.

I’m sorry to say that today will be Runic’s last day open. Our focus is on our family here, and helping them find a new place to call home. If you are in games and looking for some of the best talent in the industry, please email jobs@runicgames.com.

For those that love the Torchlight series, there will be some news coming. And for all our fans, our community and multiplayer services will keep running even after the studio's lights go off.

It has been an amazing experience. To my family here at Runic, I know we won’t be far from each other, and I’ll miss seeing you all every week.

You haven’t heard the last of us,

Marsh Lefler
Studio Head

PWE also closed down Motiga Games (they made a MOBA called Gigantic), that has the smell of downsizing because of market contraction (because PWE isn't shutting the MOBA down).

Expect more studios to be closed down this year and early 2018. 2017 was down in game sales each months from last year which means below expected revenues for everyone.

Schaefer bros are geniuses. Probably wasting their talent on some mobile tripe.

Back
Top Bottom