Free tools that maintain your computer.

The Wanderer

in paths untrodden
A long time ago, a user (Zakhary) that I’ve not seen posting in a while, created a tech thread that gathered a ton of useful tips and links that spoke of the best free software that could be used to help maintain our computers in top working condition.

I have no idea where it has gone too.

Does it ring a bell to anyone?
If so, does that thread still exist?
If yes, where is it?
If no, can we create another one?

Thanks.

Here you go the thread is from 2007, but it's still in the database.

Link- http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2281

Hope this helps.:)

YISSSS! :worship:

Edit : Since this thread is kind of outdated, can we create a new and stickied one? I loved it. I think that we should get a new one.

Who else is with me?

Edit 2 :

So, since my last fresh install of windows 7, I've been surfing the web buck naked. Well, with Windows Defender. Is this firewall any good or should I add another one? (I once used Zonealarm but I'm fed up with its browser hijacking, etc.)

If so, which one?

For the time being, I'll be trying this one : Online Armor Free.
Someone said that it has a memory leak…..

Last edited:
I use windows defender with super anti-spyware and malware bytes.

The free versions are enough but I bought them to support em.

I use

Prime 95 and intel burn in test (burn in)

( diagnostic, hardware monitoring and benchmarking)
Hardware monitor
CPUID
Aida 64
Memtest86
3dmark
Sisoft Sandra

(Uninstallers)
Revo uninstaller
Ccleaner

(Disk management)
Acronis

Stardock programs.

I'm sure there's others I use less often and just can't think of right now. I believe these are all free but I buy the ones I use regularly to offer support.

I use windows defender with super anti-spyware and malware bytes.

The free versions are enough but I bought them to support em.

Have you had any problems with that software?
A user (katsscratch) on cnet's download.com says that the program has a virus in it… :

AVG Resident Shield found a virus in the application data files of this program.
Threat: Virus found JS/Heur
Severity: High
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
Downloadandrun.vbs
Process ID: 1096
Created: 03/30/14 2:10:06am

A comment like that is enough for me to avoid using it.

Also, I stopped using mbam since my new install because of the reviews that are getting awful (since the new version).
Is this because those whom have reviewed it are slow?

As an antivirus and malware fighters, I use Avast and Iobit's Malware Fighter.

Been using them for years with no issues. I'm guessing it was a false positive.

TBH though I haven't tried any of the newer stuff. They were highly praised back when I started using them and they've never failed me. So I've never switched but there definitely not the only game in town so do your homework.

YISSSS! :worship:

Edit : Since this thread is kind of outdated, can we create a new and stickied one? I loved it. I think that we should get a new one.

Who else is with me?

Edit 2 :

So, since my last fresh install of windows 7, I've been surfing the web buck naked. Well, with Windows Defender. Is this firewall any good or should I add another one? (I once used Zonealarm but I'm fed up with its browser hijacking, etc.)

If so, which one?

For the time being, I'll be trying this one : Online Armor Free.
Someone said that it has a memory leak…..

I used to use Norton Antivirus and ZoneAlarm, but got tired of my computer crawling because of that, so switched to just using Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows 7) and now Windows Defender (Windows 8). It's free, light on resources, and just plain works.

I use:
MS Security Essentials
Malwarebytes (The new UI they use is funky but its still my goto scanning program)
CCleaner
Defraggler
Adblock Pro Extention in Chrome

Thats it, just be smart about where you go and what you install and that should be all you need.

On my (relatively new) machine these things are installed - by me:
- AV software: Avira
- anti-ad/antiwhatnot stuff: NOTHING!
- DRM/malware: Steam, Origin and uPlay
- media: VLC, IrfanView and RADvideotools
- browser: Firefox (can't adapt to Chrome, don't want to use IE)
- plugins: java and Flash
- other: FRAPS, WinRAR (a mistake, I'll switch to 7zip) and Adobe Reader (also a mistake, should be FoxIt but I couldn't arse at that moment).

- still not installed but will be sooner or later: some opensource torrent client (probably qbittorrent), some freeware image client (daemontools probably as ASUS motherboard drivers CD offered it but I skipped it that time as CD offered also plenty of ASUS bloatware), skype (yea… because of my sis).

I think that's about it as those were on my old machine too. Maybe I forgot something, not sure now.

Never had any need for malwarebytes or CCleaner, defragmenters and etc. Not really care about adblocking - if a site does too much of ads, I don't visit that site again. And I never click on flashy "you need a new codec / make your PC faster / enlarge your p/b" download button on suspicious sites.

Is an antivirus still necessary with the newer windows? I think I'll take my chances with the built-in ones. Just stay away from the strange sites (and use adblock , noscript). Isn't NTFS self defragmenting these days ?

For torrents you can use transmission.

I have used Avast free antivirus for about 6 years. On my new machine I have switched to Avira but didn't like this one (too pushy and too many false positives) so I have switched back to Avast but, couple of days ago, I got an offer of 75% off ($15) for BitDefender Internet Security - an offer I couldn't refuse.

Free programs I'm still using:
Chrome extensions - AdBlock and Avast Online Security; CCleaner (a bit redundant now since BitDefender does this stuff too), AdwCleaner (probably same story as with CCleaner but time will tell), SlimDrivers and Splash Lite player.

Dunno if it's necessary with new windows, but I love Avira feature of default blocking autostart on external HDDs and sticks.
Yes, Avira is definetly the most paranoic AV out there but that's exactly the reason why I love it!

About defragmenting all I can say I didn't defrag my HDDs for over a decade and they're still running flawlessly.

Never heard of transmission (honestly, not a joke). In any case I'll put some open source client. Definelty will not install utorrent as it's banned on many sites not for being adware though. Apparently it destroys trackers and a few days ago spotted in some news it was on chrome's blacklist marked as malware.

Since I got all win7 drivers on CDs packed with my hardware, SlimDrivers wasn't necessary, but I can definetly recommend installing it in case you got only win8 drivers with a machine you've just bought (and many of manufacturers do that for whatever reason) and you decide do put win7 on it like I did.

Last edited:
no offence joxer but since when hardware CDs have the latest version of the necessary drivers? In best case scenario they will be months old. In the worst, years...

What was it again about utorrent? Didn't quite get it?

On first question - since you buy for example "win8 ready" laptop. You won't get win7 drivers with it. And if win8 is preinstalled and you downgrade it on win7, you'll fall in love with Slimdrivers' authors as the manufacturer's site probably doesn't have win7 drivers listed at all for that model.

Lemme add also this. I use WiFi antenna Airlive WL-1700USB on my desktop PC and you don't get win7 drivers on it's CD but only WinXP drivers. How do I know that since mine is years old? Because I recommend this gadget to everyone as it's superstrong and breaks through walls so people buy it and then… A nasty surprise. ;) They still burn only winXP drivers on CD.
Slimdrivers help there, but you have to use ethernet connection to go on internet the first time. Or download win7 driver separately and keep it on your external HDD just to be sure (who still didn't buy external HDD for backups?).

In any case, I didn't put SlimDrivers on my new machine, but it should definetly be on the list of "essential free software to maintain your PC".

On the second, can't now remember on which site exactly I saw the other day chrome warns you it's potentially dangerous download, but no matter, here's one:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2461108,00.asp

Last edited:
Don't know slimdrivers but don't have a CDROM either way. After a couple of updates win8 found almost everything (except two that I have yet to install drivers for, but it runs ok and I'm lazy).

That's what I love about Linux. The package manager does everything for you, just select the programs you want and accept. Instead of manually downloading and installing everything individually, with spam included.

LOL joxer, my point was that SlimDrivers (or a similar program) IS necessary even if you have all the correct drivers on CDs which come with your hardware. I have identical mobo and GPU as you do and most (if not all) of the drivers that I have installed from the CDs needed updating.

And thanks for the link!

Ah… LOL
Sorry I've completely misunderstood.
I didn't update drivers. PC currently runs without a hiccup so won't bother. Yet.
You have a strong point there and I can only agree on it!

That's what I love about Linux.
Yea… The problematic part is I can't run Drakensang on any unix distribution!
And while not a packet manager, you can install any pack of apps on windows too through ninite:
https://ninite.com/

Don't ask me for details, I love to have a control so I install things one by one. I don't use ninite.

About defragmenting all I can say I didn't defrag my HDDs for over a decade and they're still running flawlessly.

Defragging is a thing of the past, way past (it hasn't been needed since like 2005) and with SSDs you actually DO NOT want to defrag them.

Back
Top Bottom